Fordmods Logo

EF XR power windows slow/ jam?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EF XR power windows slow/ jam??
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

NSW, Australia

Hey all, have a problem with the power windows in my ef, i have replaced both front window regs and it still does the same thing, only a little beter, the windows are slow to wind up and sometimes jam as the windows tilt forward in the tracks. i was thinks mabey the tracks are bent out of shape??? any one else had this problem?

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Post subject: Re: EF XR power windows slow/ jam??
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

lube the rubbers where they slide up in the door frame with the special s**t you buy from ford

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If you can be bothered...you can clean the tracks up with some cotton buds and cleaning solvent (ie...kerosene). Then you can either spray some silicone spray (ie, Nulon Silicone Spray) or use graphite sticks (if they even fit in the tracks).

If you are lazy as I...just spray silicone spray down the tracks while the window is down and wind it up and down, spray more as you please. Over time it will slow and jam again...I will eventually clean the tracks and give them a good silicone spray again.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

ah k, il try that instead of the random lube spray stuff i found at work lol. thanks

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

EF_96_XR wrote:
ah k, il try that instead of the random lube spray stuff i found at work lol. thanks

Don't put grease or the likes down the tracks. It will over time attract dirt and jam up the tracks even more and quiet possibly kill the motor.

If you put WD-40 that's okay...but that won't last as long as silicone spray.

Also...make sure that the bracket that holds the glass in place is actually holding the glass properly and level...sometimes they can come loose and the glass tilts.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:58 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

lol it was a greasy spray i used...ah well i guess i have some cleaning to do after work then! I should have thought to use slicone spray, i use it nearly everyday at work :? Ill double check the tracks are secure again becoz the windows do tilt foward half way up, failing that do the tracks ever warp at all?? i wudnt have thought so??

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

graphite powder

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

EF_96_XR wrote:
lol it was a greasy spray i used...ah well i guess i have some cleaning to do after work then! I should have thought to use slicone spray, i use it nearly everyday at work :? Ill double check the tracks are secure again becoz the windows do tilt foward half way up, failing that do the tracks ever warp at all?? i wudnt have thought so??

Nah usually the tracks don't warp. I can't remember if they are welded on or just bolted on...but either way I remember seeing one of the tracks in the front swing free. I think it was in my old EA or someone else's car.

BTW I only use Silicone spray because it was easier than putting graphite powder (as FordFairmont suggests as well) on the tracks. I was told the graphite works much better.

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I have the same problem on both my EF an AU. I tried Lithium and Teflon spray grease, which is supposed to be the duck's guts, but it lasts about two days before it slows to a stop again. So, silicone spray is definitely the go?

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Yep, I think the general consensus in the past has been that silicon spray is good, Graphite powder is better.

I just use silicon spray since I always have it here, works fine. When I got my Fairlane none of the windows worked properly. I lubed them with silicon spray, now they all work fine :D

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

I had the front door apart last week looking at this same issue. At around 1/4-1/2 way the glass tilts foward on a slight angle.
I'm still yet to spray it because I am keeping the fact of dirt attraction and re-cleaning in the back of my mind, and just want to see if I can find somthing else first.
However, I found the cause was the front runner flexing. It has a bracket to hold it from left-right movment, but has enough give to flex foward a little. I think its a design flaw that is coming out now thecar are getting older.

I have an 89 NA, But my neighbor has a EL and he showed/ asked me about the same issue.

The lower channel needs another bracket attached to it to go to the front edge of the door to stop the movment, but it's like a footy field in the door, and would be an awesome job to do (sarcasm), but I think I'll resist the temptation and get over it..

What's silicone spray like to clean off the material of the channels? Tedious?

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]