Fordmods Logo

EF XR6 Bought it with my heart not my head did I get stung? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: EF XR6 Bought it with my heart not my head did I get stung?
Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1996 EF RX6

WA, Australia

Attachment:
22576_1315690903087_1555166795_814451_2082514_s.jpg
22576_1315690903087_1555166795_814451_2082514_s.jpg [ 4.78 KiB | Viewed 1333 times ]

Found this car one car sales one night. Took a drive down to dealership the day after, as soon as i sat in it i knew i was going to buy it. So did the salesman. Thus i paid full price for a second hand car (idiot) He refused to budge on the price but i did grab a 3 year warranty for free.

I asked him if the card had been serviced by them, he obviously said yes. I took delivery of the car 2 days after. The Rego was out, they didnt renew, $250. They had gues the dial for the headlights to the dash, it fell off, not a big deal but annoying. The antena motor doesn't wort, common issue i hear but yet again, very annoying. The rear left brake light doesn't work (would have been picked up if it was serviced)

Now i feel like i did get a pretty good deal on the car i paid $5.1k for it with a 3 year warranty and 4 new tyres, but i can't help but feel that sales sales man was misleading and dishonest.

I know, its hard to imagine, a dishonest used car sales man what has the worlld come to.

Never the less I'm looking for a little re assurance that its not a total loss.

(Last time i buy a car with my heart not my head eh)

Cheers,

Sammish

Post subject: Re: EF XR6 Bought it with my heart not my head did I get stung?
Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its not hard to imagine,
all used car sales man are dishonest... thats there job..

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If u dont know anything about cars they will take u for a ride and never invlove emotion when purchasing a car as u may end up with a dud.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:07 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

XR's do not have electric aerials, It sucks but these guys have developed a name for themselves since the dawn of selling second hand stuff with wheels, they will never change. The other problem is attempting to "claim" on their "warranty" have a read of it and suprise yourself with what it covers and what the exclusions are then you will see why he put it in for free. Even a dodgy car sales man knows the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Is it manual or slush box? other than the little bits you have mentioned are you otherwise happy with the car? I've bought a car previously the way you just did and got raped as well. vowed never again, now I am overly cautious when getting cars.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Why not get that s**t fixed under warranty?

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I love the car but im not to sure if im in love with it as a card or just the EF xr6 in general, it does have a motorized arial i can here it moving =S

I know enbough about cars to know that all the major systems are all in fantastic order i have had the engine cleaned out the suspention checked ect and it all seems perfect for a car with 200k kms breaks seem a little stiff but im not to fussy about that.

I LOVE THE THING but its the minor things that have made me doubt it.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

EVERYTHING can be fixed!!!!!!! is it a 5sp or auto?

EF XR6, Red in colour, T5 with short shift, tired LSD, Pioneer head unit, 2.5 exhaust with staino pacemakers, 68mm TB, dumped on ultras, sitting on FTR's with EL bodykits

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

dont you get a 3 month warrenty through the car dealers there?
i bought a car and found it had broken engine mounts etc about a month later, took it back and they fixed it

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

its an eseries

there will be 100 things "wrong" with it, but only a handful obvious things need to be fixed for it to be a comfortable daily driver as you mentioned. If you wanted a new falcon, then pay the new price :)

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

its an auto, should i contact the dealer to have these little problesm fixxed?

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

I Would

EF XR6, Red in colour, T5 with short shift, tired LSD, Pioneer head unit, 2.5 exhaust with staino pacemakers, 68mm TB, dumped on ultras, sitting on FTR's with EL bodykits

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:23 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

100% no electric aerial on the XR's. if it does its fitted after and there will be a 2 way switch on the dash near the clock. what you may be hearing is the fuel pump.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but I have had mates with 2nd hand car warranties in NSW and the things were rubbish, I hope for your sake that SA laws on these types of warranties get honoured though. Typcially they need to provide the car in a roadworthy condition unless otherwise stated items such as engine mounts, brakes and such need to be in good repair, you may get away with them replacing the light switch as it is a roadworthy item.

But as long as you overall happy with it, I love ef and el xr's good to see someone with the passion, this site will also help you fix or repair little niggles that come up too.

Dave

Sorry Ninja edit, just realised you were in WA not SA, same applies though.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Depending on how many k's its done and if it came with reg i would say u got not a bad price. I would say u got a real good price but i'd say u paid market value for it. From the pick it looks great but then its just a picture. If its just those few little things i'd say that its not too bad. But then i've got a 94 ED Futura Ex cop car with 340 000km on it, had it for 4 years and haven't had to replace anything in it et and everything works, so figure. At the end of the day it just comes down to how the car was treated in its past.

I would say that the sales man was bullshi**ng about the services because yes you are right they would have picked up the brake light not working (unless it happened on the way home?) As for the aerial well just pick another one up, but really you should have used these problems to get the price lowered. But thats just my opinion.

Im sure once you start driving it around you will grow to love it. I have to admit i reckon the EF/EL XR's are the best looking and i've got a BA XR. I think there is just something special about the look of the ef/el xr.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
its an eseries

there will be 100 things "wrong" with it, but only a handful obvious things need to be fixed for it to be a comfortable daily driver as you mentioned. If you wanted a new falcon, then pay the new price :)

agreed, remember new cars wear/break/fault too.
as an e series addict i have replaced all those things and more !!
then you save for a suposedly better one and it goes bang or a mechanic or yourself will F**k somthing.
all parts of your car will be at different stages of wear ,
and if you truely love her it will be about love and not money .
saying this if you broke it can be severly depressing looking at your half dismantled $10,000+gross, waste of space ,knowing you have to spend even more hard earnds and lessons learnd.
makes those ba 5.4l fairmonts from the auctions look way cheap.
or buy sh it boxes thrash them till the day they run outta rego and drive them to the scrapys to get half your cash back.
p.s cars you hate never die

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
its not hard to imagine,
all used car sales man are dishonest... thats there job..

as somebody who used to do this as a living I resent that comment, I always operated with integrity and honesty. Probly the main reason I dont sell cars anymore. What most people dont realise is that carsales people know less about what their selling than you do, to them its just a job. At times I did hide behind non disclosure, like the time I sold a late model pajero exceed it had all the bells and whistles but the previous owner had 4 labradors and used to go to the beach with them everyday. The car stank like wet dog and I mean stank! I spent 4 hrs with a bloke while he was looking at it he took it for a 2 hr drive then spent the next 2hrs crawling through, under and all over it, even brought his own torch. He bought the car and never said a word about the smell so neither did I.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next