Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF XR6 headgasket change.
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Righto then my EF XR6 has nearly done 150,000ks and to my knowledge hasnt had a head gasket change.
I'm losing water and oil slightly outside the block because the oil is not contaminated with water in the sump.

I reckon I need a head gasket change.

Now the AU headgasket is the metal one?? that will fit and not cause anymore leaks in the future.
Will the head need to be skimmed to make it dead flat for the new gasket?

Now while the head is off I would like to put in a different cam. What would be better than the Tickford cam? And no I dont want one that requires 6 shims when fitted. Not after much more power because she is pretty good as she is. Springs will be changed too.

And finally who wants to help me cause I havent done it before.

Cheers
Timmeh

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Firstly most regrinds require 12 extra shims when fitted, 1 per rocker arm, you have one arm per valuve, 6 exhaust and 6 inlet valves, 2 valves per cylinder. Ford already put one shim in each arm from factory, so it's not like there's anythign wrong with putting shim sin there!
What would be better cam, depends where your going with the car. Something beefy if your gunna put an aftermarket ECU in, or if your straped for dollars a regrind (but then requires shims), do a search plenty of threads on cams.
While the head is off you will need to get the bottom flattened, skimmed, checked, done, what ever...
AU metal head gasket (the 6 clyinder one ;-) ) will fit fine, plenty of threads on this too. But still doesn't mean it's gunna last forever... Might find after 500,000km's it'll start leakign agin. You never know.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks. For the shims I dont know what I was talking but I remember Uglybob saying that on the cam day install 6 shims were required I dont know if that meant per arm or what but he didnt like it much so I was asking the question.
A non regrind cam is what I'm after that has better performance than Tickford cam but ECU will be stock.
Standard ECU will remain.

So head will need to go to shop for checking hopefully that wont take too long because the car cant be off the road for too long.

EL XR8

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

nah when i droped my head in at the Repco workshop it was three day sbefore christmas they were closed and cleaning up, and it was late afternoon was done when i rocked up early the next morning.
your cam choice also depends if she is auto or manual.
and you wouldn't be able to fit 6 shims in the ricker arms, i don't think they'd be enough room to fit the HYLA in then!
by the way, you'll need new head gasket, rocker cover gasket, manifold gaskets, (maybe the gaskets for the bolts on the rocker covers - I did mine), and maybe thermostate gasket. and probably new Hydrolic Lash Adjuster (HYLA) retainer clip seal thingos as you probably find that your are shagged and they'll fall out when you remove the rocker gear - even if you arn't fitting shims.
By teh way, there's nothing wrong with regrind cams, I've fitted two to the wagon now, the 1604 and then upgraded to the 1636 from Wade. For the amount you save on the price there definately worth it!

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:37 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The RPD Stage 2 needed 5(From memory?)shims per rocker arm in my car.
Nice cam though, very smooth (almost stock) idle.
Bit more of a mid-to-top-end cam.

Timmeh, most cam manufacturers should be able to get you a billet of any of their cams, you'll just have to fork out a bit more cash.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Serious? 5 shims, wouldn't the rocker arms be more prone to cracking then as the HYLAs stick out futher. Not to mention the cost of shims.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:51 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Serious? 5 shims, wouldn't the rocker arms be more prone to cracking then as the HYLAs stick out futher. Not to mention the cost of shims.

Didn't use genuine shims :P
Haven't had problems with it yet, arm79 didn't voice any concern, although he might be plotting against me to make me buy more stuff off him :lol:
Lifters are dead silent all the time too, even with an overdue oil change :oops:

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

My car is manual.
I dont mind paying a bit more for a non regrind.

Cheers

EL XR8

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Didn't use genuine shims :P
Haven't had problems with it yet, arm79 didn't voice any concern, although he might be plotting against me to make me buy more stuff off him :lol:
Lifters are dead silent all the time too, even with an overdue oil change :oops:

The amount of shims seemed OK. It was a little more than I expected, but hasnt caused any problems. The lifters dont stick out as much as you would think.

But the only reason I didnt voice any concern is that I've worked it so it will self destruct somewhere around 5pm on the 22/4. :D

As for a cam, I have the 1636 in my car. Its more of a low/mid rpm power maker. I havent lost any power off the top end, but everyone who drives my car is surprised by the sharp/instant throttle response off the line and low rpm rolling starts. Might be something to do with the combination of the cam and the Ticky head. And as a side bonus, I get better towing capabilities and better fuel economy. I know that my freeway consumption now regularly sits in the 7/8 l/100km rather than the 8/9 l/100km.

P.S. I also have knowledge of a low km, what I believe is a 94DT head as well if you are still wanting one of those.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:21 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
But the only reason I didnt voice any concern is that I've worked it so it will self destruct somewhere around 5pm on the 22/4. :D

Don't say that, cause it really will now!

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Sounds like me and you ahave the same set up then arm79, only difference is your cars driving mines a great decoration in the garage...

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

as far as cam is concerned, look into an alted stage 1 or 2 cam, very beefy and very nice without altering the idle much at all

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
arm79 wrote:

Don't say that, cause it really will now!

Only joking.... 8-)

Buuuuttt, if it does, I have a cheap ready to rebuild ED bottom end in my garage. Just needs rings and gaskets. :D

twr7cx wrote:
Sounds like me and you ahave the same set up then arm79, only difference is your cars driving mines a great decoration in the garage...

I know how you feel. Mine was decorating the garage for 10 days as well, up until last Sunday. :(

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I've organised a mechanic to do the head gasket change now.
No one here was available.
Cheers

EL XR8

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
I've organised a mechanic to do the head gasket change now.
No one here was available.
Cheers

ahh pete u forgot to ask the man with the Scissor jack :)

RIP SCOTT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next