Fordmods Logo

Ef xr6 or a Ba xt 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Ef xr6 or a Ba xt
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Safety isn't my number one concern asking as its got air bags sweet as, but I'm not looking for bias towards either, i know that the ef and ba with the same power the ef would win due to been lighter

But I don't care about looks I'd rather know what's better proformace wise

I know I wouldn't get my money back on a moded ef, but every ba XT I've looked at is up in the 7-8K mark, If I did buy one id have cash and use the ef as a trade in on it.

So again without been bias, what makes s better car for modding and then bolting a turbo up to it after I get off my Ps

Please don't say get a V8 because I can't stand them

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1998 EL Ford Futura

VIC, Australia

I vote for a EF/EL. I reckon they look really nice and all the parts for them, both for repairs, replacements and modding are really cheap! I also think the BA's can look a bit plain. There seems to be more things you can do easily with the EF/EL's around too, but that may just be more knowledge around for modding them as they've been around longer than the BA.

But I vote EF/EL! :)

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

VIC, Australia

You want simple advise, i did what your going to do and i wasted 5k, if id been paitiant and saved that 5k and put it towards my current car id being driven a fg xr6t instead of a xr6... Dont waste ya money on a car that your going to get rid of when you off your p's... Wait till you can have the performance and save for the car you want instead of trying to build a half assed effort of that performance with a car you bought 1 or 2 years earlier... Thats my opinion, my old man gave me the same advise and i really wish id listened...

NOTHING BEATS THE SOUND OF A GRUNTY V8!!!

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

i have to say i love my EF its a good looking car has never really let me down and when it did it was easy to fix and cheap,

But now that i have a BA the EF just feels old. I know BA XTs are not the best looking car but get a good color and just a set of rims and a few mm closer to the ground and they look sweet. Plus if you want to mod a BA it pretty cheap to pick up a Full XR6T engine now days. wreckers near mine will do a low k BA-BF XR6 Turbo motor with everything including front mount and pipes, loom etc. trade for the stock motor for 2500. so 6k for a xt 3ish for a full converstion so less then 10k and you have yourself a rocket ship.

or you can just find a cheap xr6t.

my mate has a EL Xr6 full ba xr6t conversion including T56 spent near 20k on it has over 350rwkw and cant get it insured or passed over a pit. and its just still a EL looks nice goes hard but its still a 15 year old car

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

Go the BA. Newer, more refined, parts are getting cheaper as more are hitting the wrecking yards now. Cheap Turbo motors can be had from 4g on ebay, then watch your modded e series try to keep up!

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i was reading a article by JMM saying that the cams dont need to be changed until about 180rwkw ? is that true

how is easy to get that about of power out of them?

how do they go with around 270,000-310,000 new motor? gearbox?

at the end of this month i should have around 4000ish, and using my xr6 as a trade in on it shoud have say around 5-6000 could that pick me up a nice ba xt?

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Wow I didn't expect the motor to capable of power that easy!! But they weight a ton the only down side, I have found some pretty nice bog stock ones for around 5-6k at dealers do I can always knock them down a thousand or so.

But I'm pretty keen to get a ba xt hopefully a MK II

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Why not save an extra 2k and get a series II XR6? You get the nice bodykit, interior, LSD, optinional traction control and a better diff gear ratio. You would have to pay close to 6k just to get all the added onto an XT at a later date.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if you are looking for straight out performance I would go manual EL XR6 or a and manual BA XT. I think buying e-series these day, you have to expect things to start failing. It can become annoying as the electrics start to go and can be a bugger to work out sometimes. You will get more power out of the BA but that doesn't mean it will be quicker. If you can, save a little more and get a BF, even better again.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: FG G6E/EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I love my EF, I really do, but I went for a test drive in a BA Mk II Futura the other day and I have to say I was fairly impressed. Outperformed my car in every way, but given it was 10 years younger I would expect nothing less. Definitely test drive one and see how it compares, as was suggested earlier, then decide what you prefer and what's best for you.

"Build" Thread: the-garage-f53/jesse-s-g6e-and-ef-fairmont-t103265.html

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I have contacted both cms and jmm

The only thing is if I get a stock ba I'll have to put at least another 3-4k into it to make it go faster, and at least with the ef, it's lighter and it already comes with LSD, but it's auto and getting rims for them are bloody near impossible!!! I still haven't decided what I want to do.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Why waste $4K on an old EF? It will still be worth nothing.

$4K will just about get you into a nice BA these days, its a no brainer.

You waste 4k on a BA and you have the same result. Falcon's arnt worth anything.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
SLO247 wrote:

You waste 4k on a BA and you have the same result. Falcon's arnt worth anything.

at the end of the day your still getting a s**t 4 speed auto, rusted out falcon, the only difference is the price tag imo

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
SLO247 wrote:

i dont matter what car it is, you never get money back, cars are not something you use as an investment..
i laugh at and sometimes feel sorry for those that go out and get 20-50k+ loans for cars to modify, drive them for 3 or 4 years and complain there car is worth not even half of what they paid..

e series and au's are now at the stage where a good one will hold its value..
ba's are almost at the stage now aswell..

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

fair enough call, but its not what value they have its sedimental value to me ill keep the car my whole life in the end maybe use it as a burnout car who knows, or use it as a dedicated drag/drift car

but either way im going to keep it and have a little turbo 4 as a daily or something

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next