Fordmods Logo

EF XR6 - Remove Reso and/or Second Muffler? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: EF XR6 - Remove Reso and/or Second Muffler?
Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I apologise in advance if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it.

I have an EF XR6 wagon with stock engine, EL GT snorkel, foam air filter. Exhaust is Coby headers (elimates cat) and stock 2.5" mandrel-bent Tickford exhaust: one resonator, two mufflers. I am upgrading the exhaust, looking for max performance across the rev-range, max fuel economy, not loud at idle or cruise, and no drone. Loud at WOT would be perfect. Yes, I know, I want it all. :D

I am pretty much settled on a Hooker MaxFlow muffler, as it gets good reviews and test results for max power and economy and quiet but deep note at low revs (but LOUD at WOT). But there's no point if the reso and rear muffler are bottlenecks.

Does anybody out there know what the stock XR6 reso and rear muffler do to the power and sound? Can I take one or both off and gain some power, without waking the neighbours up? Does replacing the rear muffler with a hotdog or resonator tip give better performance?

Thanks heaps.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I'd remove the front resinator and replace the muffler as your looking to do. Check out the front resinator see if it's straight through. If it isn't then change to a better flowing hot dog or rear resinator if your not after big noice.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]