Fordmods Logo

Ef2 Fairmont getting hotter than normal. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef2 Fairmont getting hotter than normal.
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef2 Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

Hey!

I've owned my fairmont for 5 years now and the temperture gauge has never gone over the bottom line of the "normal" area.
But recently, it has been creeping into the middle on hot days and while going up hills. I mean, this kinda sounds normal, but its not for this car.
It seems to have started (well this is when i noticed it) a few months after I got some water leaks fixed and the system had a complete flush.
Which I why I was wondering if there is a chance of a air lock somewhere?
I did read somewhere that the fans can stop working, But they both appear to be going.
Any ideas on where to start looking from here?

Thanks.

Daxxx.

Otago Early Falcon & Fairlane Car Club!

Post subject: Re: Ef2 Fairmont getting hotter than normal.
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Water pump starting to fail, thermostat also.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Water pump starting to fail, thermostat also.

Mine's doing the same thing, I was thinking that this was what it is (not so much about the thermostat because I replaced it not that long ago).

At one stage I did have one fan not working (due to a dodgy relay) and that made it sit a lot hotter than normal, but if they're both okay I'd look at the cheap stuff first. Test the thermostat, maybe even the coolant overflow cap? If it's not holding pressure like it used to then it can boil and run hot. Then as said before, water pump.

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Mine's doing the same thing now, but only when driving up hills (it'll slowly cool down on the highway, down a hill or when sitting in traffic.) I've had my radiator, welsh plugs, thermostat+gaskets, hoses done, which has improved things a lot, but not entirely. I'd get your water pump checked, and the welsh plugs/rest of the cooling system if it's been a while since it was checked last. Sometimes the issue is a small, quick fix.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef2 Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

xELFalconx wrote:
Mine's doing the same thing now, but only when driving up hills (it'll slowly cool down on the highway, down a hill or when sitting in traffic.) I've had my radiator, welsh plugs, thermostat+gaskets, hoses done, which has improved things a lot, but not entirely. I'd get your water pump checked, and the welsh plugs/rest of the cooling system if it's been a while since it was checked last. Sometimes the issue is a small, quick fix.

Hey man, did you get your sorted?

Daxxx.

Otago Early Falcon & Fairlane Car Club!

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:55 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Dax wrote:
xELFalconx wrote:
Mine's doing the same thing now, but only when driving up hills (it'll slowly cool down on the highway, down a hill or when sitting in traffic.) I've had my radiator, welsh plugs, thermostat+gaskets, hoses done, which has improved things a lot, but not entirely. I'd get your water pump checked, and the welsh plugs/rest of the cooling system if its been a while since it was checked last. Sometimes the issue is a small, quick fix.

Hey man, did you get your sort d?

I run the car with the diagnostic up, so I can see how hot my coolant is getting and it still seems to hit a good 100C in stop start traffic and general town driving and I'm not sure if it's normal or not. It rarely goes above the M on normal, but it does on occasion. Sits at 85-90 on the highway. Every part of the cooling system has been replaced and the fans work fine. Something just still doesn't feel right.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura / FG XR6 / DF LTD

NSW, Australia

It sounds like it needs descaling . I had these symtoms once with a Cleveland I bought once . It sounds like your engine will benefit from a good ‘soak’ for a minimum of 24 hours with a solution of Deox-C . If the scale is significant then it is recommended to maintain the soak for several days. Deox-C is a crystalline corrosion removal product made by Bilt-Hamber laboratories of Billericay, Essex. Dissolve the contents of a one litre container in 5 litres of very hot tap water. Disconnect the bottom radiator hose and after draining ALL coolant and block off , remove the thermostat and fill the block / head The action of descaling the internals of the block and the head is accelerated at a raised temperature of up to 70 degrees C. The engine can be run briefly at, occasional intervals to maintain heat in the solution. Extreme care must be taken to avoid overheating the assembly since there will be no pumped circulation of coolant.
Finally, drain the solution and flush the head/block assembly with a garden hose for, say, 30 minutes.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]