Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Here's a thread on head porting:
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/your-diy-porting-bible-t82450.html

Some of the stuff relates to the earlier E-series heads, but I'm sure the same principles apply to the EF.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: efxr6 head
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I just ran over my chambers with a bullet shaped diamond grit type bit - to remove blobs of dags and make the finish a bit smoother than the cast rough. The small edges near the valve ports I left alone - it's tempting to smooth them away but I've read in a few places that flow figures have actually reduced slightly when people do this - probably because they help keep flow attached to the surface.

JMM recommend unshrouding the valves - ie. you'll see a bit of sort of overhang at the outside edges of the ports - but I didn't mess with that - it really shouldn't hurt to unshroud the valves, but if you do then lay your head gasket over and mark so you don't cut beyond the gasketted chamber space. The main area to work on isn't really the outer most edges anywhay - but more the edges that are formed where the ports get overhung by the end parts of the "squish" flats.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef falcon

VIC, Australia

thanks a lot for all the info . much appreciated

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No worries - hopefully you'll see the sort of results I have - ie. my EF with the same cam that I had in the ED is performing better than the ED ever did AND I HAVEN'T DONE THE EXHAUST AT ALL YET! - ie. it's stock as a rock 2.25 press bent factory.

Instantaneous throttle response and across the board torque are the things that have noticeably improved. I did put Crow valve springs in as well as using a MLS Head Gasket but I can't imagine those 2 things making the sort of big change/improvement I'm seeing - I think it has to be the port work. I can feel it choking from about 3500 up - which is the exhaust of course - I'm hanging out to get that done now! (it's my work car - pocket money project so will have to wait a month or so yet).

The sound of the engine changed a bit when I transferred the cam across from the ED a bit over a year ago - but since having the head off and giving it a "tickle" it sounds RADICALLY different - it has no "lope" at all and even thru the factory system it now SOUNDS tougher than the ED did with it's 2.5 inch / Pacey 4480 setup. At first I was really worried something was wrong (ie. I lapped the valves myself so thought maybe I'd stuffed some up) - but it hasn't blown up and I really can't imagine anything could be wrong with the performance being so damned good. It also sort of "vibrates" - even tho it's basically running very "evenly" - hard to describe, but nearest I can come is that it has a deep "growl" in it now that you FEEL thru the whole car. It's kind of like the growl that lots of jap engines get when you get them spinning up - but this there right from idle. I'm also going to do the engine mounts as soon as I can.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

sound good to me. i am also going to do a inlet manifold, match it up and smooth it out , might as well as it all going to be apart , after that i dont think i have any more mods to do except a turbo or super charger but that will have to wait, after all, it is suppose to be my family car
cheers

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:18 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

hi i hate to be anoying but just another question . when i put the inlet maniflod on to the head ,the injector holes do not match , i mean that when you look down them they are 1/4 blocked by the half circle part on the head . should i match them up, i do run au injectors, that the tips on them do not stick out as much as the ef ones thanks

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

:shock: - When I did my EFXR6 head many years ago I did make both the manifold and the head ports match the gasket but I don't recall how much I had to take off and where.

With this head I didn't bother with any of that - and I removed my manifold and re fitted it as one assembly so didn't get the opportunity to look down the injector holes like you have.

I'd say it would be a good idea to shape the openings in the head so they don't overlap like that any more.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

thanks mate , i thought it would be a good idea, it is a bit time consuming but better now than never

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

thanks for all the advice on head , i have got it done and on , i thought i had got power and response before but now it is awsome, i can take off then plant it and it lites up the rear ,dont even have to drop the clutch . next it going for a dyno tune as it is running very rich . hope to see better results after that
cheers

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Sweet! - I'm tickled pink it's all worked out well :D

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2