EL 4.0L Problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EL 4.0L Problem
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Had a squizzy thru the forums and couldnt find a answer to my problem so here goes.
Have noticed over the past few days that when driving the engine seems to hesitate a few times then run ok. Also on start up, sometimes the motor jerks violently, also have noticed on the driveway alot of black soot from I assume the exhaust, anyone got any ideas ?. I did replace leads and plugs last year.

Thanks

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au futura

VIC, Australia

im sort of having the same prob and iv replaced coil pak leads ect and stil having the prob but i got no soot out of my zorst thow i think its just a elimernation proces by changing things 1 at a time witch is a bugger

now have a series 1 au starting the mods slowly
now have a xw wagon to restore

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 Falcon Futura Wagon

VIC, Australia

Might be an idea to check the computer for error codes. It might be able to tell you what's wrong if it's just a crappy sensor. I'd be looking at the coil too (just check the resistance values with a multi-meter).

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:57 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

I had a similar problem with my first XR6, took it to Bayfords 3 times, left it overnite also, blowin soot like crazy at times, an other times would run ok, $900 later and changin a few parts in the ignition, still the same, was given a phn number to some GMH apprentice, told him the problem, he said, change the sender unit on the exhaust pipe, cost of $90 and it did the trick... Bayfords... well... what can I say.....

Denim (BAXR6) nothin like a couple of Eaton M90's on, to show whos BOSS....

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Wow you have the same problem i did!!! but mine was only on cold mornings over the past week and a half. Mine ended up being a faulty IAT sensor (Intake air temp sensor) or also known as "HEGO" sensor but may have been caused by incorrect ignition timing (approx 8 deg retarded) which was fixed just today.So after replacing the oxygen sensor, IAT sensor it fixed the problem with engine hesitating on cold starts from stand still. Now these 2 parts from Repco shouldnt cost you much more than $100 (IAT sensor $36 and oxy sensor $67) Now the oxy sensor did improve fuel economy straight up but the IAT sensor fixed the hesitaion on cold starts.

(Below from a repair manual covering falcon I6 1994-1998)
Now if youre symptoms are: poor idle, stalling and poor driveabilty. This could be caused buy an inoperative purge control soleniod, a damaged canister, split or cracked hoses or hoses connected to the wrong tubes.

As so many have poor idling, stalling problems in the older E series this may be the problem as i dont recall it being mentioned before (but if i searched it pobarbly has been!!)

P.S DONT go to Fraud for the IAT sensor as they wanted $150 list price and $136 discounted...

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Just hooked up a timimg light and it would seem the timing is way out..What would of caused the timing to go out of whack ? Do I have to put the ECU in diagnostic mode to do the timing?

When I do the timing do I just line up the marks and tighten the distributor, or should the mark on the harmonic balancer be just before the other fixed mark..

Thanks

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
Wow you have the same problem i did!!! but mine was only on cold mornings over the past week and a half. Mine ended up being a faulty IAT sensor (Intake air temp sensor) or also known as "HEGO" sensor but may have been caused by incorrect ignition timing (approx 8 deg retarded) which was fixed just today.

The IAT and HEGO are not the same theyre 2 separate sensors

IAT = intake air temp
HEGO = heated exhaust gas oxygen (O2 ssensor for short)

which did u get replaced?

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: slammed EL

Power: 120 rwkw

SA, Australia

clean your fuel injectors dude.

Ford Motor Company
FoMoCo

Holden Motor Company
HoMoCo

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah it looks like it was a mixture problem with yours as both the IAT and O2 would have affected mixture....did you get them changed at the same time?

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Hey guys this is getting off topic, can we get back to my problem please.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

eh duh, maybe YOUR problem is the same as his problem....

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

I replaced both the IAT and oxy sensor, the new IAT sensor fixed the problem with the car hesitating when cold and the oxy did improve fuel economy in hwy driving. But after all that i still had a slightly rough idle. I later found out that the ignition timing was out heaps (7-8 deg retarded) Its been like this since i bought the car. I found out how to perform the timing adjust correctly thanks to arm79. The procedure changed after ED. On EF & EL in self test mode the engine will rise in revs then fall, after that approx 2min the engine will almost stall then idle again, after this is when the timing is set (0 deg +/- 2 deg) The idle is perfect now with no hesitation and alot more power.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]