EL 4ltr stroker 

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

if u meant by the stoking as to improve performance a lil just go down the "extractors,air filter,tickford snorkel,2.5 inch cat back exhaust,.... - would be bacsic mods to get the xr 6 cooking.. :wink: theres alot of other mods to do but those mods are a good start...

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
rannaman wrote:
how would oversizing the bore 40" decrease cacpacity? unless your talking about bore to stroke ratio or something??

it wouldn't.
what i was saying is decrease the stroke to to the piont at which you get 3.8L when using a 40thou over bore.

you would end up with a square engine at about 93.3mm stroke and bore with a piston speeds of 4285 at 7000rpm
as aposed to 4561 for the stock stroke.

you'd also get a 6mm longer rod which will help alot witht he poor stroke rod ratio the engine has

i smell something someone should try when their bored ;)

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL gli

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
rannaman wrote:
how would oversizing the bore 40" decrease cacpacity? unless your talking about bore to stroke ratio or something??

it wouldn't.
what i was saying is decrease the stroke to to the piont at which you get 3.8L when using a 40thou over bore.

you would end up with a square engine at about 93.3mm stroke and bore with a piston speeds of 4285 at 7000rpm
as aposed to 4561 for the stock stroke.

you'd also get a 6mm longer rod which will help alot witht he poor stroke rod ratio the engine has

Am i right in assuming this is a lot of work. How much benefit would be achieved by this.

What would the new redline be and if you could increase it a fair bit, what would be required.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

3.2 EA crank, AU pistons, Custom rods, 40thou over, should be a neat rever, and should pull hard to 7000rpm.

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

downingj wrote:
Surely there would be a gain by stroking it out to 4.2 -4.3 litres? I know the stroke is long, but it's not like the 4.0 litre is a revvy unit to begin with?

Hyena has a 4.2ltr Futura and it is a goddamn weapon :)
I think its somethin like 175 rwkw or so :)

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU XR6

NSW, Australia

These motors can and have been stroked before, usually out to about 4.2L like Ace has stated.. and if these motors are built right you can spin them to 7500rpm.. the main benefit in stroking them is for more torque... theres no real point to reving them that hard though peak power ends at 5000rpm, unless you put in a race ready cam which would make it a pig on the street.
But it all costs money and lots of it, for a reliable street 7500rpm revving 200+rwkw monster you will be looking at close to $9,000...

I know this cause ive looked into it and also priced it up.. have had 2 quotes.

I desperately want to be a road statistic

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

stiddy wrote:
These motors can and have been stroked before, usually out to about 4.2L like Ace has stated.. and if these motors are built right you can spin them to 7500rpm.. the main benefit in stroking them is for more torque... theres no real point to reving them that hard though peak power ends at 5000rpm, unless you put in a race ready cam which would make it a pig on the street.
But it all costs money and lots of it, for a reliable street 7500rpm revving 200+rwkw monster you will be looking at close to $9,000...

I know this cause ive looked into it and also priced it up.. have had 2 quotes.

no such such thing as reliable performace. Only a performance engine with minimized risk. and by those revs you looking at some stupid pistons speeds that even the most hardcore of race engine builders would think twice about running and then opt not to

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Speak to It's Performance hes built one of these, or knows of someone with a 4L that spins to 8000rpm, Mark is the one that told me about it..

there is reliable performance to a certain degree, its like everything, treat it with respect and in return it will treat you well..
if you go around every day driving the a** off it, it wont last long.. but look after it dont thrash it 'much' and it shouldnt be too bad..
ive seen performance motors out last standard motors.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

stiddy wrote:
Speak to It's Performance hes built one of these, or knows of someone with a 4L that spins to 8000rpm, Mark is the one that told me about it..

there is reliable performance to a certain degree, its like everything, treat it with respect and in return it will treat you well..
if you go around every day driving the a** off it, it wont last long.. but look after it dont thrash it 'much' and it shouldnt be too bad..
ive seen performance motors out last standard motors.

if your not going to drive it like a race engine should be (because thats what it is, a race engine in a street car) then whats the point spending the money to do it?

Quote:
there is reliable performance to a certain degree

exactly no such thing as reliable performance, only minimized risk.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

You spend the money so when you take it to a track it will get up and go...
Its a STREET car with a race engine.. agreed... but if you drive on the street like you do on the track then you shouldnt have a car at all.
But fair enough, everyone every now and then gets a bit carried away on the street, and im no exception.. but if you had a big dollar engine you would be taking a little more care of it then what you do with a stocker.
Unless you go to the track every day and thrash the a** off it, it will last.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

stiddy wrote:
You spend the money so when you take it to a track it will get up and go...
Its a STREET car with a race engine.. agreed... but if you drive on the street like you do on the track then you shouldnt have a car at all.
But fair enough, everyone every now and then gets a bit carried away on the street, and im no exception.. but if you had a big dollar engine you would be taking a little more care of it then what you do with a stocker.
Unless you go to the track every day and thrash the a** off it, it will last.

i guess we just have a different opinion on the topic.
i just dont see th point in spending all the cash and not floging the thing. after all thats whats it built for. engines aren't an investment, they are a toy you will loose your money on.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

LOL i'd love to see how you drive your car day to day in that case..
But yeah I think we have different opinions, and thats fair enough.
I see where your coming from, and agree to an extent, just not flogging the car day in day out, thats what will cause it to let go.

I had an NA fairlane 3.9mpefi, cam, extractors, machined head rebuilt bottom end and it used to spin to 6200rpm and I used to take it there daily, all the time... every 10,000k's without fail the headgasket would go.. after getting sick of fixing the bloody thing, I took it easy on it and only spun it that hard only a few times a week, I had 2 years of trouble free driving after that.
Thats where im coming from when I say dont flog it every day and it will last.
theres a difference between driving a car hard and thrashing it..

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

lol, my XR put up with being driven like it was stolen :p. Bouncing off the limiter drifting and such quite often. No problems.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

YTMONT wrote:
lol, my XR put up with being driven like it was stolen :p. Bouncing off the limiter drifting and such quite often. No problems.

No wonder you're fuel bills were high! :D

Driven normally (I know, I know, everyone has a different definition of "normal") XR6's will return a good 10-12 litres / 100kays. f**k all really, considering the weight, space, performance, etc etc.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

I would like to try and 'decrease the stroke' and 'increase the bore' and keep aprox the same engine capacity and see how hard you could get it to rev.
correct me if i am wrong, this would increaes top end power but kill the low down torque?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next