Fordmods Logo

EL 6 hesitating and backfiring on sudden throttle opening 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL 6 hesitating and backfiring on sudden throttle opening
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

I suspect this is LPG related but I'm unsure.

I did a coolant flush on the weekend and ended up degreasing and hosing down the engine bay to clean up the factory standard oil leaks. Didn't drive it afterwards however the next day I took it out and it drives fine if you move the throttle slowly but if you nail it, it hesitates 9 out of 10 times and the other time it backfires, blowing up the airbox. Before the coolant flush, the car drove perfect on LPG.

I'm not sure if the same problem exists on petrol since it's over 6 months old and I dont want to nail the throttle because I've tuned the motor for maximum power on LPG and it pings on petrol under moderate power.

The catch is, during the coolant flush, I disconnected a coolant hose from the LPG converter, blocked it and attached the garden hose to the converter to flush out the remaining old coolant through the engine. After 10-ish litres poured out the radiator overflow and it started to look clear, I stopped the water from the hose and started up the motor to warm it up, put the heater on so that water would be flushed through as well. About 3-4 mins of idling later, the engine died. Well, stupid me completely forgot what I learned in year 7 that evaporation absorbs heat and with no water flowing through the converter, the converter iced up and stopped supplying vapour.

Could that have killed the converter or have I still possibly got water elsewhere, considering its been 4 days since I did the flush?

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 98 Patrol

QLD, Australia

Check ya spark... im goin through that atm... It was pissing down the other day and i think i got water in somewhere.... cause it was running fine i went and got some food went to start it up and she ran like crap and doin wat your describing... Wat im getting at it now ive lost spark from 2 cyls so yeh maybe water got in somewhere else?

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm not sure it is spark though because if you slowly open the throttle to WOT, it is perfect. Eg if you take one second from closed to WOT, it runs the same as it used to. Only if you stomp it, does it hesitate. Really annoying :(

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bozz wrote:
I'm not sure it is spark though because if you slowly open the throttle to WOT, it is perfect. Eg if you take one second from closed to WOT, it runs the same as it used to. Only if you stomp it, does it hesitate. Really annoying :(

With mine half throttle was fine then after anymore it started to backfire... popping through the air box... then eventaully it gave way altogther and now she is on 4 cyls

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

daggy082 wrote:
Bozz wrote:

With mine half throttle was fine then after anymore it started to backfire... popping through the air box... then eventaully it gave way altogther and now she is on 4 cyls

Yours definitely sounds electrical now stop hijacking my thead :p

only joking

Mine feels like the acceleration enrichment pump on carbies isn't working. I dont know if LPG uses any method of accel enrichment or even if it is the LPG system but hey, here's hoping someone can help :)

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Dont dont come crying to me wen u waste time looking at ya LPG system wen its electical... Only joking... good luck :D

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Explorer

NSW, Australia

i had this same problem eventho my car is and ed falconn you might have moisture in the map sensor connection or the vacuum hose hase come off.

kangaroos and radiators are a bad mixture

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]