Fordmods Logo

EL Air Intake to EF Airbox 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: EL Air Intake to EF Airbox
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 347

Joined: 10th Jan 2005

Ride: 2002 Mustang Cobra

Location: Broadmeadows (Melb. North)
VIC, Australia

I just bought an EL Air Intake pipe to replace my EF dualpipes. I was told that it would be a straight-swap but the pipe that goes to the Airbox is alot smaller than the EF one. I was told to replace the last pipe with some flexy 3". Supercheap Auto has some flexy pipe...would this suffice? Although it does look like really thin plastic though.

Also I want to paint the Intake pipe, yes its been covered but I couldn't really get detailed specifics. Which paint should I buy for it?

 

_________________

Red 2002 Mustang Cobra

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 3025

Joined: 28th Oct 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

Location: Caroline Springs
VIC, Australia

Get some silver fence paint. That would look tough :)

So, how come you wanted to replace the EF intake with an EL one?

Just curious...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 347

Joined: 10th Jan 2005

Ride: 2002 Mustang Cobra

Location: Broadmeadows (Melb. North)
VIC, Australia

Don't really like the big chuck over the rocker cover lol. Also, isn't the EL one supposed to flow alot better than the EF?

Also, Silver Fence paint? Haha shouldn't I be using some Heat Resistant stuff...presuming that paint isn't heat resistant.

 

_________________

Red 2002 Mustang Cobra

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 3025

Joined: 28th Oct 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

Location: Caroline Springs
VIC, Australia

mr_rx7_ wrote:
Don't really like the big chuck over the rocker cover lol. Also, isn't the EL one supposed to flow alot better than the EF?

Also, Silver Fence paint? Haha shouldn't I be using some Heat Resistant stuff...presuming that paint isn't heat resistant.


Silver fence paint is awesome! If I was allowed to, I'd paint my house in the s**t with two thick GT stripes around the bottom :lol:

Well, there are a few conflicting opinions as to which is the better set-up, but JMM have found through testing that the EF intake is the better bet and if it's good enough for JMM, it's good enough for me.

But if you like the look of the EL one, as long as you're happy mate, that's the main thing :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:25 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 247

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Location: Brissy
QLD, Australia

i would just get a el/au airbox lid, may aswell go the full conversion..........
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 1494

Joined: 1st Dec 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

Location: Maitland
NSW, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
i would just get a el/au airbox lid, may aswell go the full conversion..........


waste of time...the ef airbox flows a lot better then the el/au one

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 347

Joined: 10th Jan 2005

Ride: 2002 Mustang Cobra

Location: Broadmeadows (Melb. North)
VIC, Australia

Haha, haven't answered my question yett guys lol. Would the pipe from supercheap be ok?

 

_________________

Red 2002 Mustang Cobra

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:46 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 247

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Location: Brissy
QLD, Australia

Pulco wrote:
falcon4litreOHC wrote:
i would just get a el/au airbox lid, may aswell go the full conversion..........


waste of time...the ef airbox flows a lot better then the el/au one


your just going off the autospeed article.

It would have been interesting if they had tested from the pipe at the top of the strut tower. Which has been designed exactly like the inner pipe inside the ef airbox lid.

until autospeed does a retest from the strut tower pipe i totally disregard their findings as the strut tower pipe on the EL,AU intake is an intergral part of the airbox lid design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


oh yeah that supercheap pipe will melt after a few days. been there and tried it.....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3115

Joined: 20th Dec 2004

Ride: Falcon

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

So you think an EL/AU airbox will flow more with the intake pipe attached? Interesting.

 

_________________

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:57 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 247

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Location: Brissy
QLD, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
So you think an EL/AU airbox will flow more with the intake pipe attached? Interesting.


Yes i do!

wonder if anyone on these forums have got the gear autospeed site used. retesting would prove it for sure.................
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 347

Joined: 10th Jan 2005

Ride: 2002 Mustang Cobra

Location: Broadmeadows (Melb. North)
VIC, Australia

Quote:
oh yeah that supercheap pipe will melt after a few days. been there and tried it.....


Oh really? I thought it was kinda 'super cheap' lol. Yes horrible joke.

What do you think I should get to put in its place? I had a look on eBay, found some interesting things.

 

_________________

Red 2002 Mustang Cobra

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3115

Joined: 20th Dec 2004

Ride: Falcon

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
stockstandard wrote:
So you think an EL/AU airbox will flow more with the intake pipe attached? Interesting.


Yes i do!

wonder if anyone on these forums have got the gear autospeed site used. retesting would prove it for sure.................


must be an awesome designed intake pipe to have over 100% efficiency :D

 

_________________

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 1494

Joined: 1st Dec 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

Location: Maitland
NSW, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
Pulco wrote:
falcon4litreOHC wrote:
i would just get a el/au airbox lid, may aswell go the full conversion..........


waste of time...the ef airbox flows a lot better then the el/au one


your just going off the autospeed article.

It would have been interesting if they had tested from the pipe at the top of the strut tower. Which has been designed exactly like the inner pipe inside the ef airbox lid.

until autospeed does a retest from the strut tower pipe i totally disregard their findings as the strut tower pipe on the EL,AU intake is an intergral part of the airbox lid design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


oh yeah that supercheap pipe will melt after a few days. been there and tried it.....



that autospeed article was also based on wat jmm said...next time u read it, read a little closer!

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 916

Joined: 27th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

Location: Berri
SA, Australia

I think JMM tested the different intakes and I think the EF one flowed the best.

 

_________________

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
Image
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3115

Joined: 20th Dec 2004

Ride: Falcon

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Autospeed did a test of a heap of airboxes (not just ford) and found that the EF/EL/AU were the best standard airboxes. EF lid flowed slightly more than EL/AU though, which they said was becuase it sucked air from the middle of the box instead of the edge. There is also an autospeed article where JMM says that EF is the 'best'

The EL/AU might not flow quite as well but that doesnt mean that putting an EF one on will get you any more power. They all flow more than enough. The changes from EF to EL were about reducing induction noise, and probably lifting up intake velocity.

 

_________________

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names