el ecu into ed problems. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: el ecu into ed problems.
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

i have put a el ecu into my ed fairmont. modifications are waggot cam regrind (specs unknown to me) manual conversion and full 2 and a half inch exhaust system, pace maker extractors and xr6 lsd diff.

now, the ed ecu runs pretty smoothly in the car, just chews a lot of fuel and is a bit sluggish due to the stock auto.

ON the other hand, the EL ecu is running like a dog between 2000-3000ish rpm. and i do not know why. i have tryed 2 EL ecu's. and they both do the same thing, i thought the el conversion was better?
ALSO i do have a tuned j3 chip from ti performance running the el ecu, both chip in and out it is jerky between the stated rpm., i sent the chip back for a re tune, still doing the same thing.

So what i dont understand is why the ed one runs fine without a j3, still running an auto tune. and the el one is playing up on both j3 or no j3.

anyone expirenced this when installing a j3 chip with el into ed? yes i have contacted jason from ti performance alot so this is not the first avenue ive taken....

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Post subject: Re: el ecu into ed problems.
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Do you have a log or BBM manifold?

If you are using the J3 chip why do you need the EL ECU, the J3 will overide the ECU programing anyway.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I gather you're using ECUs suited to auto gearboxes. Although they're harder to find, have you tried an ELXR6 manual ECU?

I've got a similar problem with my EL auto ECU. There's a flat spot between 2500-3000rpm, which is quite irritating when accelerating hard. The tuner couldn't fix it with using a J3 chip & ELXR6 manual tune. It also has rev hang at 1200rpm before returning to 750rpm at idle. Does this happen as well?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

http://www.tiperformance.com.au/Technic ... 0EA-ED.pdf

EL ecu's give better advantages over an ed one... have a read SWC. i have the stock ed log manifold.

yeah the el ecu i have is an auto ecu. surposed to have a manual tune on the j3 chip. Yeah mine does that shortshift, between 2-3000 rpm it jumps and jerks but mine does it under light acceleration, if i give it a gut full or take of with a bit of acceleration it doesnt really get noticed, its just s**t when u want to cruise around.
i just am finding it weird that my stock ed auto ecu runs smoother... yeah the manual ecus are near impossible to find...

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

c james wrote:
http://www.tiperformance.com.au/Technical/Installing%20EL%20ECU%20into%20EA-ED.pdf

EL ecu's give better advantages over an ed one... have a read SWC. i have the stock ed log manifold.

yeah the el ecu i have is an auto ecu. surposed to have a manual tune on the j3 chip. Yeah mine does that shortshift, between 2-3000 rpm it jumps and jerks but mine does it under light acceleration, if i give it a gut full or take of with a bit of acceleration it doesnt really get noticed, its just s**t when u want to cruise around.
i just am finding it weird that my stock ed auto ecu runs smoother... yeah the manual ecus are near impossible to find...

Yes I had a read, and what I read is correct, the stock EL ECU is better than the ED ecu agreed. When using a decent J3 chip, this overides the internal memory of the ECU. Does it matter whether it is an ED or an EL ECU, doubt it.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

would you have to reset the base timing with the el specs with the el ecu? or once the el ecu is plugged retune it to ed spec? just throwing some ideas out there

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

well i always think its better to start of with a better ecu and tune from that, countless people have installed el ecu's in their ed's and j3 chiped them so there is a difference between them.

well bry40l, the whole idea of the el ecu is to have the el tune, to get the benefits from the el rather than the ed. but im not sure im seeing the benefits.
i definatly have better fuel economy now with the j3 chip in with the el ecu. but that rpm range of 2000-3000 is just the only downset with light acceleration..

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:57 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

without the ef/el manifold the el ecu will make it feel slugish down low..

no point upgrading to the el ecu unless your upgrading the manifold aswell....

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i have el thermos, not running of the ecu, running from a thermo control switch and a reply. thats would not be affecting my issue im having, however
i do not have the el bbm manifold in my ed. i was under the impresssion that the el ecu could be fitted without having the bbm.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

It doesnt say you HAVE to, it just states the el ecu gives you bbm control...

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

the el ecu thinks there is a bbm and has a different fuel map etc for that, if you fit that ecu to a car which doesnt have the bbm it doesnt know and it will try and run as usual but because the car is missing the bbm it wont run to its full potential and you will have that mis or whatever your problem is

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you can overcome the sluggishness by advancing the ignition timing 2-3 deg..
it will help but wont be as good as having the bbm to match the ecu....

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

:oops: i do apologize , i didnt know it needed the bbm. sorry.

can i ask for your advice? am i better off keeping the log and just sending the j3 back for an ed tune? or purchasing a bbm with the solenoid and installing it(is it hard to install?)

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

BBM will give you better low end torque due to the different length runners. You will also need new throttle cable etc. Log will be better if you are looking at boost. May be easier if you don't want to do the BBM conversion just to refit the ED ECU or get the J3 reprogammed.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yeah im leaning towards just sending it back and putting my ed ecu in, because if i keep the car long enough i will throw a turbo on it..
ehhh. i feel so stupid. will be the 2nd time to send it back.
wish i knew it from the start, all part of the fun of learning.
thanks to everyone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next