Fordmods Logo

El engine into Ef problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: El engine into Ef problem
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Swapping an el motor into an ef , going to keep all the electrics EF,with EDIS coil pack, From EF engine I have swapped the damper with crankshaft position sensor and pickup, removed dizzy, my problem is I cant find any info(Haynes,Gregorys here )on installing the camshaft position sensor in place of the dizzy, have set the engine on TDC, is it just a matter of trying CPS with drive in different positions until it drops in?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont,

QLD, Australia

there is a tricky procedure for it , found i9t in my workshop manual as i have an ef that i was gonna replace the cam sensor on but looked like to much f**k round for a wild guess as to y she is using heaps of fuel i will find it and pm it to you if no one posts it up first

95 ef montfor sale pm for info, 88 hilux mud truck

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

or you could just bolt it in.

the unit is actually a sequencer, not a cam position sensor. and it doesnt really do very much at all.
The engine will still run quite normally with it setup in any position, or even unplugged i believe.

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:03 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Thanks, I will see what happens when I fire it up, i could not work out how to position it ,in most positions it sat up about 15mm, then I fluked it and it "fell" into what I think is it's proper position(only because this was the only place it went all the way in)
The fact that the dizzy in the same position used the drive had me confused-can't just shove a dizzy in anywhere and hope it works.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:34 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

In the side of the sensor there is a small hole. And if you rotate the shaft you will see through the hole a small notch in the shaft.

You need to put say a drill bit into this hole and notch to stop the shaft from moving. Get the engine at TDC number 1 and slide the sequencer in.

From memory, the sequencer has a range of like 120deg, so you can put the thing in with TDC no 1 at any position within that 120deg range.

That is the correct installation method.

The reason it was sitting up like 10mm is because the oil pump drive pin wasnt lined up with the inside of the sequencer shaft. As you've done, you can try a few positions and it will eventually fall in. But really you need to install as I have listed above, and try slide the thing in. If it doesn't fall all the way, use a long 8mm socket in the hole in the block and you turn the oil drive pin slightly and try again. Eventually it will fall into position without a problem.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
In the side of the sensor there is a small hole. And if you rotate the shaft you will see through the hole a small notch in the shaft.

You need to put say a drill bit into this hole and notch to stop the shaft from moving. Get the engine at TDC number 1 and slide the sequencer in.

From memory, the sequencer has a range of like 120deg, so you can put the thing in with TDC no 1 at any position within that 120deg range.

That is the correct installation method.

The reason it was sitting up like 10mm is because the oil pump drive pin wasnt lined up with the inside of the sequencer shaft. As you've done, you can try a few positions and it will eventually fall in. But really you need to install as I have listed above, and try slide the thing in. If it doesn't fall all the way, use a long 8mm socket in the hole in the block and you turn the oil drive pin slightly and try again. Eventually it will fall into position without a problem.

YES! Took it out again and did it this way-to be sure to be sure. put everything else back on the engine , turned key, fired first touch. thanks
Just as a an interest thing-myself and for the benefit of anyone else doing this swap, if the sequencer has a range of 120 degrees will it only correctly "drop" into position within this 120degrees? or will it also "home" in the other 240, and screw up signals?

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:16 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Ok I just typed this big a*** reply but fukn deleted it by accident, maybe I've had too much beers. To shorten it, if you do the drill bit in Cam Angle Sensor =TDC thing , and get your engine to Top Dead Centre (I took out #1 spark plug, then wound engine over until it was pushing pressure out the plug hole and the timing mark on the harmonic balancer lined up TDC) Then use the 8mm socket to line up the oil pump drive hex shaft so the CAS drops into place where you want it, then it is lined up correctly.
To answer your question, it will drop in to the hole fully at any position where the drive shaft and the oil pump drive line up, so probably three positions in the full 360 degrees.
Hope I make sense.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]