el fairmont ghia 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: el fairmont ghia
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

hey guys,
ive had my el ghia for almost 2 years now (as my first car) and im only just starting to mod it bit by bit! today i got my 2.5" cat back redback.. was pretty cheap just from dandy exhausts... any way ill try and post some pics and you guys can tell me what you think of the tip..

hopefully ill be able to get extractors and other little bits and pieces after i fix a few things that take priority! (brakes)

cheers
lhc

1996 EL fairmont ghia, 2.5" cat back

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hi ! welcome to fordmods! nice choice of vehicle... 8-) Just a word of Warning..... this site is addictive!!! :lol: and a danger to your wallet/purse... :lol:

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

lol damn straight it is addictive lol, what else have ya done to ur car mate???? oh welcome to the nut house

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

its like pringles, one u pop u cant stop :P

EL Fairmont - GT steering wheel -3.45 lsd - superlows - white line sway bars - xr kit - au11 xr8 engine - 3500 convertor -BA XR8 leather interior - ltd woodgrain - di filippo extractors - trick flow track heat manifold - tfs1 camshaft - twin 2.5 inch system venom cats hooker mufflers - 187rwk

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

havnt done anything else just exhaust..oh and replaced some of the speakers with some better pioneer ones...

there was a few problems with my car when i got it...the gear shifter knob falls out cuz person before must of broken it..? i have no idea how tho...
also they had an old hands free kit that they must have moved about 100 times cuz there was only 4 screw holes in the unit and in the side of the centre console is about 10.

there are a few problems with my car now...brakes are shuddering like mad..100 to 80km/h the steering wheel goes nuts...and the car slightly lurches and clicks when under slow breaking about 5km/h...and finally and worst of all my headgasket has a crack and is slowly leaking coolant.....

this week im getting my brakes looked at and ill be changing the pads myself...as for the cracked head gasket...i was quoted about 1000 bucks so i think ill just keep putting "stopleak" in untill it gets unbareable..

any suggestions that arent overly expensive?

thanks for reading
lhc

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

dude, headgasket should be done. yeah its expensive but if u keep delaying it, youll end up needing to repair more than just an HG!

the brake shudder will be warped rotors, so either get new ones or if they still have life in them, they'll need to be machined.

unfortuantely, once again this is a job that really must be done, for safety reasons its never good to try n save a few bucks cos it can end up costing a lot more

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Welcome to Fordmods. If you want a hand to fix the gear button give me a yell (im in Mulgrave) i had the exact same problem on exact same car. I posted a how to fix just before the site crashed ages ago.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have the exact same brake problem as you said just then, im getting DBA 4000 slotted rotors and some nice pads, i hope it will fix it up. Mine do that lurching thing when you slow down and your crawling to the lights and gets worse when the brakes are hot.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I have the exact same brake problem as you said just then, im getting DBA 4000 slotted rotors and some nice pads, i hope it will fix it up. Mine do that lurching thing when you slow down and your crawling to the lights and gets worse when the brakes are hot.
cos they're warpped to the s**t house. once the rotors are done u should feel much better

Post subject: further developments
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

hey again guys...
just thought id throw it out there ..i was quoted $800 to $1000+ to get my head gasket replaced thats heaps for me to be spending to just fix problems with my car let alone mod it..

so..ive been thinking and reading some stuff on DIY head gasket replacements. im pretty mechanically disabled but my brother has an ef and one of those service/maintenance books which is really helpful...

the question i wanted to ask is about pricing and all the factors involved in doing this job...also where to get an AU gasket instead ? benifits/downfalls of using one on an el?

ill be looking in the tech docos for any advice to so if you spot something while you are looking randomly please dont hesitate to tell even if there is a chance that i know already..

thanks again

lhc

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AUIII XR6 HP

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Get the gasket from your local auto shop. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, unless you've seen it done or have a mate who has. More importantly, you'll need a torque wrench and the correct torque settings.

PACEMAKER 4480, SS H/F CAT, 2.5" REDBACK, INTAKE PIPING, K&N PANEL, PIONEER TV

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

yeah i just read through ugly bobs tech doco on replacing a head gasket it seemed kind of complicated...im gona have to sit on it for a while i might talk to the mechanic a bit more for advice or even to get the price of doing it for me down a bit :wink:

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Leighcosa,
There's good advice in the preceding posts and doing a head gasket is like painting by numbers, don't get out of the recommended sequence and finish one step before starting the next.
If you choose not to do it yourself there is another alternative, that is fitting an AU engine. In Sydney there's at least one wrecker/workshop that has a drive in drive out next day conversion for $550 + labour etc. I got quoted $1100 total, with 6 months warranty, to do an EB2.
Perhaps there's such a place in Melb. that one of the member's could point out. I keep hearing from our southern brethren about the low klm, low cost AU engines available down there, just a thought.
Further to what SgtBourne said, if you don't do the HG now and goes completely, recycle it and get an AU. It will be an expensive mess.
Cheers
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

hmm thats a really interesting thought...i never really thought about converting entire engines...and that price you were quoted is awfully low in comparison to just chanign the head gasket..??!! by the way the engine that was $550 plus hours was just a standard ford engine..? not the tickford motor..because my ghia has that and i would had to deprive it of the current power levels :lol: vct much more expensive? i might do a search on au engine prices..what about a ba? 190 kw sounds tempting...
much differece from a wrecker?

thanks for the suggestion

lhc

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Paulmac wrote:
In Sydney there's at least one wrecker/workshop that has a drive in drive out next day conversion for $550 + labour etc. I got quoted $1100 total, with 6 months warranty, to do an EB2.
where's that?

EF/L -> AU engine is very simple (as far as i know, and i dont knwo much :) ) but EF/L -> BA engine is a world of headaches and pain, so dont even consider that road.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next