Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont Low Oil Pressure!? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Theres a direct link with the volt gauge going down and then right along with it the oil pressure gauge. It seems to be a fact of life with most of the E cars. Which can have people scrambling for help and often spending up big, trying to solve something that isn't really much of a problem.
Usually with something like this I would suggest an immediate thorough dismantling and cleaning of the radiator. Because if the temperature is going up in the engine bay due to overheating, the battery will be inefficiently holding charge, dropping charge and causing the oil pressure gauge to drop in that order.
But if you've done all that, and know for a fact the battery is shagged well, replace that battery ASAP. Because again, low charge will bring on the low oil pressure symptom. Obviously all the things that have already been alluded to by all those above.
Failing that, you can remove the entire air box, undo the earth bolt behind the passenger head light, and give it a thorough clean. Mine oxidized once, and when I improved the connection to car body. The low oil pressure gauge problem improved dramatically. Theres also an earth point near the relays, up above and behind the battery.
So do the battery, or alternator if that be the case. If problems persist, see your earth straps.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

As the saying goes, kick the easy goals first. You know 100 % you have a voltage problem (which may or may not be effecting your gauges). Fix what you know is wrong first and you will probably find that you will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If your still having oil pressure problems once the voltage problem is rectified then start looking into it. Another thing to put your mind at ease in the meantime is to have a mechanical oil pressure gauge hooked up and compared with your dash reading.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
i dont think you oil to thin at all. i use 5W40 and my gauge reads higher than that. but to be sure hook up a good mechanical gauge to be sure.

you battery volts gauges seems to be reading under 13V this is not right it's way to low.

if you battery is not holding charge junk it first and get a good battery not a cheap a*** one from supercheap. a minimum of a boch silver.

when you put in clean all the terminals realy well or replace them completly.
take the wiring off the back of the altinater and clean all the contacts.
It would also pay to undo the eath point and clean them too, i'd go as far as adding an other eath strap from the battery to body. super cheap sell premade ones.

do all of that then check what you gauge says

Agree 100%.

Oil viscosity should be fine, altho castrol not my fav brand of oil....

Get yourself a 520CCA battery, do the prep work as suggested by tickford6 here... then see how it goes.

Question: do the numbers on the dashboard pressure gauge actually mean anything or is it just a scale from 1 - 7 ??

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

What sort of oil pressure reading should one be getting in an EF or EL Fairmont? (toped up my oil today)

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

dads oil pressure is all over the place, its barely ever stays still.. you will sit there in park and tap the accelerator to 3 grand and just let it go and it will jump into the red and then back down 2 bars or so, so it again, same thing happens.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2