Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont Rough Start Up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Fairmont Rough Start Up
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Lately I've noticed my EL Fairmont starts up rough...It fires first time every time but for the first 20 seconds or so it idles rough but then smooths out and idles perfect after that. Mainly when it's started first thing then for the rest of the day start ups are fine. Sometimes when I'm stopped at the lights (Foot on the brake and in D) I've noticed a slight miss. I'm thinking it might be the leads? Otr maybe the plugs or coil perhaps? The leads are the red Motorcraft ones which were on it when I bought the car. It drives perfectly, Just the start up and idle are the only annoying things.

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Rough Start Up
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

There was another post about this....taking a worst-case scenario, it could be a blown head gasket.
Are you losing coolant without it visibly leaking from somewhere? Are you blowing out heaps of moisture (it hangs around in the air instead of disappearing) on start up?
If not, could be any one of those things you mentioned, or a combination.
I guess first, check the timing and/or change the plugs, as this is the cheapest thing to do.
Mine was idling a bit rough, and when I changed the plugs (due to anther issue) from new autoline(?) to NGK (as suggested here), plus the leads, it was much, much better.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No coolant loss, No excessive steam/condensation from the exhaust. The oil is perfect so too is the coolant which leads me to believe it could be the plugs or leads or the coil...Or perhaps a combination of all or some of them.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

revcore wrote:
No coolant loss, No excessive steam/condensation from the exhaust. The oil is perfect so too is the coolant which leads me to believe it could be the plugs or leads or the coil...Or perhaps a combination of all or some of them.

Coil will usually play up when it gets hot. Could be plugs or may be a small vac leak.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I'd say coil or the TFI module on it's way out. But since it is intermittent and your car just doesn't die, I'd look at the coil first. I have had issues with my coil where the car will take forever to start some times. However most times, it starts up quite well and quickly. If you don't have a multimeter to test resistivity of the leads, you can always start the car in the dark of night and see if there is any arcing along the leads. Sometimes the brightness of the arcing can be seen through the lead insulation.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Went to check the coolant this morning...Car hadn't been driven since yesterday and when I removed the radiator cap the coolant gushed out. It had ammased a bit of pressure that I can only put down to the new radiator cap I put on yesterday. It doesn't to it with the old cap.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Don't forget, the gasket could be blown between cylinders

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Is it the right cap?
Normally a cooling system will drop all it's pressure as it cools down, UNLESS it has a d**k of combustion gases in the system. Then it will spurt out like a hot system would, but the coolants cold.
When you have a cold start and it's rough if you put you're foot on the gas does it clear up quickly?
I'd be pulling my spark plugs to inspect them if i were you.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]