Fordmods Logo

EL Falcon Options 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Falcon Options
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon

SA, Australia

Firstly, i have read many of the forum post regarding the EL and i have objectively decided upon some parts. However with that said i would like some opinions about them. I realise that flaming may occur with a "cam a is better than cam b" etc etc, but im still interested and value your experienced opinions.

My mission is for torque/acceleration in the range of 60-80kms and 80-110kms. Its a must as its my daily driver and i do a lot of driving in the hills and overtaking slower vehicles. This is my main goal so please keep that in mind.

The basics:
EL Falcon June 1998 (Stamped 05/98)
185K kms
100% stock, other than a 2.5 inch redback exhaust
Falken 225/50/15 Tyres

What im looking at:

Springs & Shocks:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MONROE-GT-SH ... 53eff6a5c1

CAM's:
Camtech CT006 848
http://www.camtechcams.com.au/ford_6cyl_eael.html

Crow Cams:
Doesnt list and EL after February so im going by the AU cam list

Wade cams:
http://www.wadecams.com/

Intake:
I have a TAUTVE-9A624A being delivered in the next few days. Now known as a BA9A624A

Extractors:
Pacemaker
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALCON- ... 27c3d91b52

So with those options listed, can you recommend these or other parts while keeping in mind my initial objective as listed above?

Cheers

AO

Last edited by Audiogasm on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: EL Falcon Options
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:57 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Think also about getting AU injectors and a 300kpa fuel reg. If you can't get an EF/EL one, change over your fuel rail to an AU one, 300kpa may be easier to get hold of for this fuel rail and BA/BF fuel regs fit as well.

Consider CMS, http://www.cmssydney.com.au/, has some good stuff and well proven. Also an XR Head or some port work.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:59 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Cheers, ill look into that

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Just an update

I have decided upon the following parts atm:
Pacemaker PH 4499 Headers
Monroe Super Low (50mm) Springs and Shocks
Air intake BA9A624A, formally the TAUTVE-9A624A , well i had 2 offers of a new part and a lot of "i dont have it in stock" or "can you send me a picture", the following is a list of what i received for the correct new part.

$91.50
Todd Miles, Parts Interpretor
Jarvis Group
190 Portrush Rd
Trinity Gardens, SA 5067

$55.00
Paolo Vozzo
Group Parts Manager
Maughan Thiem Automotive Group
1013 Port Road, Cheltenham SA 5014

Seeing how i was limited (at this time) to where i could get the snorkel from, $50ish sounded a lot better then $90, even with the 40min drive. So sorry Toddy, but your not making a sh@# load of profit from me.

Well, this Saturday i have a dyno test booked in at 9am at B&R Automotive in Salisbury. They have a 2200hp 4wd dyno, so im reasonably confident that i wont become a "Dyno Fail" on youtube, but you never know. Ive never done one before so i thought it would be good for a baseline RWkw before i bolt on all the other bits. Ill take some pics of the dyno and post them after the test.

So with that said i have springs, shocks (not so much these) and extractors being delivered in about a week. This (with the intake) should improve the RWkw a wee bit. Im hoping that it will bring it back to factory 157kw, but that all depends upon how many horses have run away :D

Just for sh@#s and giggles, originally the EL had 157kW, what do you think it has now after 185k kms? The winner gets respect, but if your in Adelaide you get a beer. Im unsure if being a hybrid engine (Feb to Sept of 1998 as far as i know) would have any more kw. If you know more about the hybrid, please let me know.

BTW, why have so many metallic green EL's have their bonnet paint faded to sh@#? who the hell was painting them in may 98?

Stay tuned.......

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

As a side note, one thing i am looking to do is, once i have replaced the original EL intake with the BA9A624A, was adding the original intake (cut and modified) mounted under the right side of the bumper (looking from the front bumper of the car) with a 2.5ish inch (as i think this is all that will fit) tube to the left bottom side of the cold air intake box. Being unable to find any pics in this forum of this mod at this time, listed below is what im looking to achieve.

The only pic on google i could find is below.

This guys (lawler's) modified intake is in red, coming in from the front center (looking from the front bumper of the car), where as i only have available space under the car (maybe 2.5 inches) to have the new intake coming in where the blue is. Has any one done this? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Audiogasm on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Just a quick update.

Been a long day at work so havnt had a chance to take any pics.

After just over 24hrs from ordering it, the Pacemaker 4499 Extractors were delivered. Im pretty impressed with Performance Exhaust Online http://stores.ebay.com.au/performanceexhaustonline?_rdc=1 with their fast delivery times. Thanks guys.

So i have the dyno at 9am tomorrow, ill post some pics after its done.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

You paid $505? Holy f**k s**t.
Even on ebay theres some for $430.

Intake - part number for a XR6 Turbo snorkel? $50 isnt terrible.
If you go for a Camtech cam, theyre about $400. 846. Get something that will be noticeable.
Or a Wade 1673.
One thing you've overlooked that will make quite a difference is a TI Performance J3 chip.

A 3.45 LSD out of an XR/Ghia is also good bang for buck, $150-300 will get you a diff.

Is your s**t a manual or auto?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
You paid $505? Holy f**k s**t.
Even on ebay theres some for $430.

Yeah i know, not a spectacular price. I should have looked at more places to get them from.

I just wish i had more time during the day to find local items instead of online ordering everything.

krisisdog wrote:
Intake - part number for a XR6 Turbo snorkel? $50 isnt terrible.

Not the best from what ive seen in the forums, but the cheapest one i could find after emailing and calling 15ish places

krisisdog wrote:
If you go for a Camtech cam, theyre about $400. 846. Get something that will be noticeable.
Or a Wade 1673.

I got a price from Crow Cams for Part #2232522 $387.20

I havnt heard from anyone else yet :(

krisisdog wrote:
One thing you've overlooked that will make quite a difference is a TI Performance J3 chip.

I was looking at chips, but with a hundred choices of custom programs, its just to hard to work out atm. Will look into it more later. Please feel free to suggest places and programs that have been tried and tested.

krisisdog wrote:
A 3.45 LSD out of an XR/Ghia is also good bang for buck, $150-300 will get you a diff.

Nice to know, but remember that i am after low to mid end torque / pickup from 60-80 and 80-120kph, mainly in the hills. Is that an AU your talking about?

krisisdog wrote:
Is your s**t a manual or auto?

Just a slush box

Thanks for the comments. Its given me a few more things to think about.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Crow cams - regrind or billet? For that price it's probably a regrind.
Wade will do a regrind for under $200.

I said TI Performance for a reason, go to the website and sus it out. All you have to do is tell him what mods you have and what you're after.

Regarding the diff, get a lower ratio out of an XR. If you want more pull anywhere thru the rev range, get a lower diff.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:42 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Check CMS out for cams, you won't be dissapointed, http://www.cmssydney.com.au/index.php?o ... 7&Itemid=6

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you are fitting an aftermarket cam it is always a good idea to use a Vernier Gear.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:44 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Well, i guess i now have some things to check out.

Dyno Test gave me the following

106rwkw @164kph
238nm @ 150kph (2.4KN)

A couple of issues is that its running very rich. AFR should be leveling out at 13ish.
Also the rpm cutout is at 4600 rpm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7wItsJqDI

From what ive read, it could be the O2 sensor or a dodgy hose somewhere for the richness and im looking into a TI Performance custom chip to give me some rpm's back.

Last edited by Audiogasm on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Ok, so i know its been a while, work etc gets in the way.

Today i removed the old headers and put on the Pacemaker 4499's. Was a relatively easy job. I didnt realise that the original headers are actually in 2 pieces, this was actually a good thing as it allowed me to unbolt half of it and i was able to slide the headers out as they were still attached to the cat.

One other not is that i was surprised that the bottom bolt holes were cut out. This allowed me to place the gasket on the block, screw in the bottom bolts a few turns and then just drop on the headers and they just sit there nicely allowing me to bolt up the top row without issue. Much easier for one person doing it this way then trying to hold a gasket in place, plus old the headers and get one bolt in. Cheers Pacemaker for making my life easier.

So tomorrow im driving the car down to a local muffler place to get the cat cut down and replace the original pipes with 2.5 inch to match the extractors and red back exhaust. Now its only about 700m away and i was wondering how loud it would be when driving down with straight extractors. I have a video of it but it doesnt give an accurate representation of how loud it is as it was taken on my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkuTESKT3gA

It really sounds like an inboard V8 on a boat.

The only other things i have done is install the BA9A624A intake snorkel and fix the air leak i had on the intake side. This has instantly given me about 150km more per tank of fuel and the rev limiter hits 5500ish now instead of 4600.

So pretty soon ill go down and get another dyno done to see what the difference is, hopefully it will be significant.

Note: I still havnt done the suspension yet........ its on the list and ive uploaded a dyno test video on the above post

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]