Fordmods Logo

el falcon vent/heater stuck on & no controls work excpt fan 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: el falcon vent/heater stuck on & no controls work excpt fan
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

hi i have a problem where hot air is constantly coming out of the floor vents and the only control that works is the fan or turning the air con on which turns a fan on because i need to regas the system and plug the air con compressor in.
i cant change the dash board vents to demist or to the dash vents, and its blowing hot air out when its turned to cold, cant turn the vent to recirculate either, wondering if its got to do with vacum lines or the controller itself? or something under the dash board :evil: would like to get it fixed as its hotter driving the car than it should be with just the windows down im sure its only something silly i couldve one wrong when changing the ENGINE

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Post subject: Re: el falcon vent/heater stuck on & no controls work excpt fan
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Might be a vacuum line. Mine popped off the manifold and my car was stuck heater on full demist.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

could you open an shut the vent? as in could you put it to recirculate/vent or was it stuck open?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Possibly, I don't really know because I got home, popped the bonnet and fixed it there and then.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
Possibly, I don't really know because I got home, popped the bonnet and fixed it there and then.

i think we are having the same problem, ill have a look and a play soon and comment back if i fixed it or not
thanks mate

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey mate... Your heater controls have no vacuum...

No vac to the heater tap will cause the heater to come on... None of your controls are working because you have no vac... ON the ED... without vac all you'd be able to do is slide the cold to hot flap in the box... but it even on cold there is that option of hot feet cold face... so that may be why you're having this issue...

Make sure your vac lines are hooked up... Should tee off from near your BBM solenoind somewhere and then disappear inside the car... If you pull the glove box out the main vac plug is behind there... It runs the vac from there to the heater controls and then back to the flaps... There should be a black hose in the plug which is main vac... check for vac there... If you have vac there then you're looking between the heater controls and that plug...

Also ensure the BBM hasn't rubbed through the vac lines as they duck over/around it as they run across to the solenoid...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks timmyA i just got home popped the bonnet and found there was a thick vacum line running into the firewall was not completly plugged in, so i took the time to unscrew my old map sensor because it was broken, and the one i had been using was just plugged in flapping around near the vac lines, i screwed it in properly plugged this thick vac line in properly, and now i can move the controls around for the vents and your correct the hot and cold works differently because i can turn it onto hot and it actually gets hotter :shock:

now what my newest problem is i can switch to demist, or foot well, or both foot well and face, BUT when i switch it to face only vents it goes to demist only, and when i select another one but cant remember which one it is it goes to foot well only, anyway im thinking take the glove box out and have a look at the vac plug there, also not sure if the vent/recirculate open/shut is working now or not, i dont know if it works off vacum?
anyways im sure its only a minor problem i have left now like the controller or a vacum line

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

It is possible you have busted flaps...

the recir is vac operated and you can feel it... If you stick your hand up the recirc cute above the passenger floor you'll hit your hand on the flap... when on recirc you should be able to stick your hand up further and feel the grate in the side of the box which lead into the fan motor (don't stick your fingers through the grill)...

Commonly the lever on the side of the flap breaks off... And leaves you with fresh air only... you'll know this because you'll be able to swing the flap in there by hand and it'll be loose... If it isn't broken you'll feel the spring in it trying to push it down to fresh...

I also had a flap broken which goes on the side of the heater box above where the handbrake is on the ED... it changed between demist and feet... It snapped the arm off the side of the flap and I couldn't get feet I think it was... Defaulted to demist all the time... Replaced this section with the dash in (really difficult being a manual with a clutch there)...

The recirc flap needs the dash to come out though... The heaterbox can stay there... We repair ours and make them unbreakable... Involves making part of the flap out of steel and then pop riveting it to the broken plastic section...

Will add pics as soon as I find them of our repairs...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
It is possible you have busted flaps...

the recir is vac operated and you can feel it... If you stick your hand up the recirc cute above the passenger floor you'll hit your hand on the flap... when on recirc you should be able to stick your hand up further and feel the grate in the side of the box which lead into the fan motor (don't stick your fingers through the grill)...

Commonly the lever on the side of the flap breaks off... And leaves you with fresh air only... you'll know this because you'll be able to swing the flap in there by hand and it'll be loose... If it isn't broken you'll feel the spring in it trying to push it down to fresh...

I also had a flap broken which goes on the side of the heater box above where the handbrake is on the ED... it changed between demist and feet... It snapped the arm off the side of the flap and I couldn't get feet I think it was... Defaulted to demist all the time... Replaced this section with the dash in (really difficult being a manual with a clutch there)...

The recirc flap needs the dash to come out though... The heaterbox can stay there... We repair ours and make them unbreakable... Involves making part of the flap out of steel and then pop riveting it to the broken plastic section...

Will add pics as soon as I find them of our repairs...

ok thanks, hopefully i havent broken any of this stuff off the fairmont oi can swap it all, will the whole dash have to come out or just unbolted and pulled back a bit?

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

three 10 mm nuts hold the recirc flap section in... pulled right back on the passenger side should give you access i'd say...

Even if it isn't broken... They all do... Seems to be a common fault unfortunately...

Uploading the photos now... Will attach them shortly...

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the best way for me to check if the recirc is working is ill go around the block, and give it a good check,

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

This is the finished product... 4 piece of steel braised together

Imagine the end of the flap is the sector shaped piece of steel... The rod coming out of it is the pivot... Then the next piece of flat steel is the crank arm... The last round piece of steel is what the plunger hangs onto to pull the flap up or down...

From factory it is all plastic and the pivot rod shears in half... meaning no mechanical contact from the plunger to the flap...

Modify the flap to look like this

The steel piece we made sits inside the groove we filed in the flap like so

And you just use 3 small pop rivets with the head on the plastic side so it doesn't rub on the side of the box... Will never break again... We have repaired 3 on our own cars here now... And dad has done many more at his Ford dealership this way...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You'll get a better understanding of it all when you pull it out if it is indeed broken...

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

you have any idea how much it would cost to get it done by ford because once a dash out job is involved im not interested,unless its hugely expensive.
my patients doesnt stretch that far lol,ive taken the car for a drive and recirc doesnt work so im guessing its broken, will have a fiddel later though

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

For the amount of hours... Not cheap... And making the part up I picked would be hundreds to do the job... It really isn't that hard...

Dash pulled forward is console out... 2 bolts to drop the column... 5 accross under the window (plus the dash earth here too)... 2 in the centre bottom of the dash... 1 at the top of each kick panel... pop the glove box out and unclip the heater cable...roll the dash forward... Unplug the couple of plugs on the passenger side... And pull that half of the dash forward and rest on the seat...

Not that much too it... Well worth saving $80-$100 and hour at a dealer...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next