EL Future Mods help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Future Mods help
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

im looking at putting extractors on atm i have 2.5" lukey catback id prefer it to be more mid range benifit

atm engine is stock btw but i read something about putting a ea cam
in and another part ( cant remeber atm) will increase power so looking into that,

also possibly a turbo charger and change to 3.9 diff on a 4speed btr that im looking into gettn a new one

any advice will be apriciated id jus prefer not have get say a new exteactors wen i change the cam

Post subject: Re: EL Future Mods help
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

As others are no doubt going to point out, you might be well served spending a little time looking around in the forums - there is heaps of info about what can be done.

What's prompted me to reply tho is your reference to the EA cam thing - ie. yes I believe that the 3.2L EA had a fairly aggressive cam - Ford evidently trying to get the most out that capacity engine. I actually remember taxi drivers I spoke to at the time complaining about their new EA's being buggers for wheelspin off the line - had to be real careful on the throttle especially in the wet with high diff ratio and torque monster engine.

By the time people were into modding these cars tho - ie. once they had been around long enough to become affordable to young hoons - factory XR6 had been out for several years and aftermarket cams were available from places like Crow and then Wade - so the first line mod was generally an XR6 cam - or for those with bit more cash then a Crow etc. was the go - and of course the starting point couldn't be anything less than a 4.0L - so anything EA was pretty much orphaned.

Altho people noted from factory info etc. that the 3.2 EA technically had a pretty firce looking cam I don't know that too many actually tried using those cams in later cars - nothing off those "little" cars could be any good surely!

The airbox/TB duct out of the MPEFI EA is lower restriction than those fitted to later cars so that's always been an easy must do mod for anyone with EB/ED - Ford for some reason made the engine slightly larger capacity but then used more tame cam and restricted the intake - go figure! - but of course that mod isn't applicable to EF onward.

I also recall a Ford dealer mechanic commenting one day that healthy 3.2L SEFI EA's always surprised him as they often went REAL well compared to EB, ED and EF.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

yeah il have another look around i just was after info on more my specific plans as all mods need diffrent requirements

with changing the cam in the EL how do i go about the ECU becouse its set to the stock cam

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

with a smallish cam, just reset your ecu, it should learn. however a j3 can be tuned to the cam, and also retuned when you modify further and put a larger cam in

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]