Fordmods Logo

EL ghia becoming sluggish 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL ghia becoming sluggish
Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

As the title suggests, my 97 EL ghia (with 220,000ks) over the past week has become sluggish. It just doesnt feel like it has its normal power at all and feels like it is laboring alot more. It stalls out on first start of the day, and is then fine the next go.

I thought this was because i was due for a service which i did on the weekend, but that hasnt really helped at all. (i changed plugs oil and filter).

I have noticed the car is louder however, and when i gave it a rev with my head out the window i could definitely hear a blow in the exhaust. Would this be creating said power loss? When i gave it 2 revs in a row it would stall or nearly stall...

Anyway im over driving it around feeling so tired! i want the peppy torquey six back! where shoudl i start?

cheers

Post subject: Re: EL ghia becoming sluggish
Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Can get the exhaust checked, all sensors, clean air filter etc. All the little things. Worse case, sounds like a dying head gasket if it has never been replaced before.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

what sensors should i be looking at? and if it is a hole in the exhaust, is it possible to just patch it?

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

louie0408 wrote:
what sensors should i be looking at? and if it is a hole in the exhaust, is it possible to just patch it?

You can buy patch kits, but it's just a temporary solution, best to get a new exhaust put in. O2 sensors, MAP sensor etc. Can always check your fuel filter, if it's blocked you're getting less fuel to engine = sluggish and can also contribute to your stalling issue after a couple of revs...but I am taking a guessing game here, could be a lot of things.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

patching wont help the problem really, you will just have to fix it again later, check/ replace all the filters if they havent been done in a while, check that the fuel pump isnt really loud and vibrates wen it primes, because my fuel pump died slowly and it would stall when i tryed to start it i had a hole in my muffler(it was pretty big though) and when i replaced it i gained alot of power back, i was suprised how much difference it made

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
patching wont help the problem really, you will just have to fix it again later, check/ replace all the filters if they havent been done in a while, check that the fuel pump isnt really loud and vibrates wen it primes, because my fuel pump died slowly and it would stall when i tryed to start it i had a hole in my muffler(it was pretty big though) and when i replaced it i gained alot of power back, i was suprised how much difference it made

cool i have noticed the fuel pump becoming louder and i have no idea when the fuel filter was last done (car has no service history). Looks like i am going to have to extend my mechanical knowledge to changing the fuel filter and possibly pump.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

louie0408 wrote:
bry40l wrote:

cool i have noticed the fuel pump becoming louder and i have no idea when the fuel filter was last done (car has no service history). Looks like i am going to have to extend my mechanical knowledge to changing the fuel filter and possibly pump.

Fuel filter is easy, best to use a plumbing spanner and not a standard open ended spanner...to reduce rounding the nut off. Also make sure fuel filter is fitted in the correct direction.

Fuel pump...major pain in the a*** to remove the black ring that holds the fuel pump assembly into the fuel tank. Not so bad if you have the special tool or make one up out of scrap metal/timber.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]