Post subject: EL Head Onto ED
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hello,

There is an EL head on ebay atm... Just wondering if there is any difference between the ED head and these? Difference in overhead gear or anything? (valve springs I think change?)

Thanks,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Post subject: Re: EL Head Onto ED
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Rocker gear is different - The shims and the lifters are smaller diametre so the actual rocker arms are different too. Valve springs could be the same though, but the actual shape of the head and its ports is different too... Valve springs on the AU taper and the valve stem is thinner (7mm from 9mm) on the AU also.

The rocker gear on the EA-ED will fit into a EF or EL head and visa versa I think. At least, you can use the same cams, so this would suggest they're similar enough.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:36 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

depends on what month your ed is? late eds came out with the 94da ef block and head using ef lifters.
and depending what the code is on the el head as late el heads are basicly
(hybrid)au heads..

but other than the rocker ratio diferences from e series to late el/au the heads will bolt straight on..
and even if yours is early ed(eb head) you can still use your cam and rockers on a ef head..

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers for the quick response guys...

Yeah Its first of the ED's nov 93... Just curious... So If i run an AU head I need a cam to suit AU then and overall... is it a much better preforming head? or just better to get an ED one ports and re-seated etc?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

We could be rude pricks and carry on about
"use the search function",
but we aren't all up ourselves wankers.

There are many threads written on this subject tho.

AU head requires AU cams, dead right. The AU has conical springs and different valves so is basically incompatible with the E series gear. Although, like Troyman says - If it is a very late EL it may actually be AU anyway....

I'd suggest re-seating and doing the ports and a slight reshape on the ED head would do better than a standard AU. As far as cam choices go, you can get cams for the AU which are pretty much the same as anything for the E series.

The Wade 1673 seems to be a good choice for most E series owners, many many many Fordmodders own one, myself included, and are very happy with it.

I have a shaved and mildly altered Tickford EL head on EL bottom end with AU head gasket. Ups the compression, improves the flow and (combined with the cam) gives a better kick in the a***.

Whatever the head you choose, make sure to get it shaved (milled) back to flat and use the multi layer steel AU gasket.

Have a look for a thread called "All Your Six Cylinder Questions Answered" or something... Or check out this... the-garage-f53/kwikxr-s-1995-ford-fairmont-t72655-158.html

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fiend...

Yeah search function digs up old info... Peoples opinions change with things they hear or learn everyday... Most up to date opinions this way...

I have a Wade 1636 to try in my current motor to see how I like it... I asked Wade about their cam with most low down torque (as I find this more impressive than high end power) and they referred me to this cam...

That sounds good then as I already have an ED head... If other people agree and I see a majority would do this, then thats what I'll do a guy in Griffith who does pretty good head work so I'll give it to him...

I'll get this all done one day for when I build a new motor that doesn't use the tiny bit of oil this one does after 320K good engine for the age, but best way to learn whats in there is to build one your self (dad is a mechanic)... So one day... When I get my shed built and buy a hoist...

Thanks, much appreciated,
Tim

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sorry to sound picky here but, the Valves from EA-03/1998 EL's are the same as are the rocker arms, the Cam shaft supports and valve springs are the same for standard 3.9 and 4.0 MPEFI, the HP engines use a different valve spring. the Rocker shafts are also the same.
The lifters are a different story, the EA 6C501A suits up to 03/1993 and the ED 6C501A suits from 01/04/1994 onwards but, seeing as Ford now lists the Rocker arms the SAME, I would venture to say that you can use the later type for EA/EB/ED in NEW rocker arms.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:35 pm 

NSW, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
Cheers for the quick response guys...

Yeah Its first of the ED's nov 93... Just curious... So If i run an AU head I need a cam to suit AU then and overall... is it a much better preforming head? or just better to get an ED one ports and re-seated etc?

Cheers,
Tim

being a 93 ed it will have the same head as eb ..91ab?

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers papa smurf... might be right too... Saves producing way too many spare parts...

Troy... Its a 91AA...

Thanks guys,
Tim

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:52 pm 

NSW, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
Cheers papa smurf... might be right too... Saves producing way too many spare parts...

Troy... Its a 91AA...

Thanks guys,
Tim

yea i was close :lol:
same as eb!

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Papa Smurf wrote:
Sorry to sound picky here but, the Valves from EA-03/1998 EL's are the same as are the rocker arms, the Cam shaft supports and valve springs are the same for standard 3.9 and 4.0 MPEFI, the HP engines use a different valve spring. the Rocker shafts are also the same.
The lifters are a different story, the EA 6C501A suits up to 03/1993 and the ED 6C501A suits from 01/04/1994 onwards but, seeing as Ford now lists the Rocker arms the SAME, I would venture to say that you can use the later type for EA/EB/ED in NEW rocker arms.

I have trouble with this, no doubt it is true what you say... The reason I have trouble is that the shims and lifters on the EF / EL are THINNER than the early box car type. If you put a 9mm round thing into a 11mm hole it will wobble. If you put a 11mm round thing into a 9mm hole you've managed something that Einstein would prefer to put a loaded shotgun to the side of his head than try explaining mathematically.

I have a photo here somewhere of a early E series rocker sitting in sequence on a row of cam gear with EF stuff - And it does not look the same. Different parts, I kid you not. If they were the same I would have saved myself a few trips to Pick-A-Part pulling cam gear out...

I have EB shims sitting in my toolbox next to EF shims - There is no way on this planet that any sane person would consider putting EF shims and lifters into EB rocker arm sockets with the 2mm diametre difference!

:oops:
I could be reading it wrong... Sorry --- You mean Ford may have discontinued the EA-ED rocker arm and expects you to replace it with the EF / EL rocker and install a new lifter designed to compensate for something in the setup which a standard EF / EL lifter would not rectify...?
:oops:

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:17 am 

NSW, Australia

i think papa smurf might mean.
if you go to ford and ask for ea/eb rockers and lifters you will be supplied ef ones???
probably find ea/eb ones are obsolete??

as they all interchange

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
i think papa smurf might mean.
if you go to ford and ask for ea/eb rockers and lifters you will be supplied ef ones???
probably find ea/eb ones are obsolete?? as they all interchange

Nope - The EA-ED rockers don't interchange with the lifters (as above), but would "interchange" with the special "EA-ED lifter to suit EF rocker" that Ford now make.

Anyway, I think I have made sense of it all, Ford are getting all the old box cars to use the newer cam gear to cut a long story short.

Am I also reading this correctly PapaSmurf... The HP (Tickford?) heads use different valve springs?

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 am 

NSW, Australia

what i ment is that you can use ef rockers and lifters on a eb..

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

Search function brought me here..

I was positive even an AU head could be fitted to any e-series etc.. a guy interested in my worked ED 94AB head is under the impression it won't work on his EFII block.

I said it will work. Am I right? Is there anything stopping this from going together?

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next