el headwork 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: el headwork
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 XG ute

QLD, Australia

hey guys..
looking for advice on some head work on a 94dt el xr6 head..
will be looking for good street performance; no racing or drag, just enough punch to impress the skyliners..
got the head for $220; valves a bit black but seems to be straight with rockers etc in good nick. will be going onto 98 el block(futura) with 155000 k's, fulls headers-back exhaust with hi-flow cat, induction and 3.45 lsdiff..xr6 injectors and fuel pump on the way. suspension upgrades will come along as i go..
just looking for ideas ie cam, valves whatever... any advice welcome. or referrals to existing threads!
cheers.

Post subject: Re: el headwork
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Theres a s**t of threads related to this in the 6 cyl workshop section but im too lazy to go find them and post them right now :lol:

Headwork wise i wouldnt go spend crazy amounts if its just for good street performance. First thing would be to get the head reco'd i.e, pressure/crack test, machine head to make sure its dead flat and to bump up the comp a bit, 3 angle valve job, get valve guides checked and get them replaced if necessary, new valve stem seals, etc. The tickford head has the larger ex. valves, uprated valve springs, etc so it would flow quite well in stock form. You could get a cylinder head place to do a mild port polish job on the head if you want but if you've got the tools, a steady hand and patience its not that hard at all. Theres quite a few useful websites out there on the net about basic porting and polishing and a few threads on here related to headwork (just have to thread mine a little lol).. When the time comes to put the head on make sure you use an AU steel gasket, its more reliable and is thinner so will bump the comp up even more

Id spend more time on choosing the right the right cam to suit your needs though. Talk to Wade cams or CMS or the like as they have some good profiles and have quite a few happy customers. Seems like you've got a good base for mods anyways seeing as the exhaust and intake sides are sorted so a good cam and a freshened up head should give it a good kick. Shorter diff gears might also be another option if you're after a bit more go :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Theres a s**t of threads related to this in the 6 cyl workshop section but im too lazy to go find them and post them right now :lol:

Headwork wise i wouldnt go spend crazy amounts if its just for good street performance. First thing would be to get the head reco'd i.e, pressure/crack test, machine head to make sure its dead flat and to bump up the comp a bit, 3 angle valve job, get valve guides checked and get them replaced if necessary, new valve stem seals, etc. The tickford head has the larger ex. valves, uprated valve springs, etc so it would flow quite well in stock form. You could get a cylinder head place to do a mild port polish job on the head if you want but if you've got the tools, a steady hand and patience its not that hard at all. Theres quite a few useful websites out there on the net about basic porting and polishing and a few threads on here related to headwork (just have to thread mine a little lol).. When the time comes to put the head on make sure you use an AU steel gasket, its more reliable and is thinner so will bump the comp up even more

Id spend more time on choosing the right the right cam to suit your needs though. Talk to Wade cams or CMS or the like as they have some good profiles and have quite a few happy customers. Seems like you've got a good base for mods anyways seeing as the exhaust and intake sides are sorted so a good cam and a freshened up head should give it a good kick. Shorter diff gears might also be another option if you're after a bit more go :wink:

yeah about the 6 cyl workshop section but theres just so many!!!
cheers for advice.. don't want to spend heaps(and will go a bit nuts on suspension....i like the corners)but do want a bit mnore poke.. will chip tune when done to get the most out of it.
cam, port polish is probly definate; was really wondering about valves, springs etc ie is it worth that extra spend..??
how short do you reckon with the diff gears?? 3.45 will keep it pretty standard i assume; am going for the lsd more for the traction/handling i admit, but a bit of extra zip never hurts at the lights..... 8-)

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Drop the head off at Gilbert's. Tell them what you want. It will cost a bit, but you will benefit. For a cam, speak to surecam, they will grind a cam to suit your mods and needs. Both are located either no the Gold Coast or nearby!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

984.OEL wrote:
cheers for advice.. don't want to spend heaps(and will go a bit nuts on suspension....i like the corners)but do want a bit mnore poke.. will chip tune when done to get the most out of it.
cam, port polish is probly definate; was really wondering about valves, springs etc ie is it worth that extra spend..??
how short do you reckon with the diff gears?? 3.45 will keep it pretty standard i assume; am going for the lsd more for the traction/handling i admit, but a bit of extra zip never hurts at the lights..... 8-)

Is it auto or manual? 3.45's are a good all round ratio, good for round town and highway driving. Depends how short you want the gearing really and where you do most of your driving, if you want it to really zip thru the gears quite quick, dont do much highway driving and its auto id go for 4.11's. If its manual im not to sure, but maybe 3.7's would be a good combo with a 5 speed.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
984.OEL wrote:

Is it auto or manual? 3.45's are a good all round ratio, good for round town and highway driving. Depends how short you want the gearing really and where you do most of your driving, if you want it to really zip thru the gears quite quick, dont do much highway driving and its auto id go for 4.11's. If its manual im not to sure, but maybe 3.7's would be a good combo with a 5 speed.

yeah it is 5 speed.. was thinkin 3.7 but the diff is 3.45... if the geras are still good when i strip it down will re-use..otherwise 3.7.. 50/50 hiway/city driving so want to split it down the middle, leaning to the performance side....ie quick take off...any thoughts??
gotta go; my mate lives ON the track of the repco rally so 3 days of cars, drink and dust!!
YAY!!!

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
984.OEL wrote:

yeah it is 5 speed.. was thinkin 3.7 but the diff is 3.45... if the gears are still good when i strip it down will re-use..otherwise 3.7.. 50/50 hiway/city driving so want to split it down the middle, leaning to the performance side....ie quick take off...any thoughts??
gotta go; my mate lives ON the track of the repco rally so 3 days of cars, drink and dust!!
YAY!!!

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i just picked up a EL XR6 head and wouldnt mind attacking the ports a bit myself!

would be very interested to here and see others home porting experiances :D

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

just back..saw 2 cars... bloody hippies were throwing rocks at the cars so they cancelled our stage!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]