EL Hybrid Confusion :( 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: EL Hybrid Confusion :(
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Thanks for that, Deff.

I went to the wreckers again yesterday and had a look at a 09/97 el and the springs and stems certainly looked larger than what I have in mine. So I think it is probably safe to say that it is a hybrid. I just don't want to end up with a cam from wade that is going to ruin my engine :/

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its not from here, but this should confirm it for you http://www.boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20050

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Cheers for that mate.
I saw that one quite a while ago and it didn't really offer me anything I didn't already know. Thanks though.

I've spoken to wade cams, and at this stage I am either getting an AU-2-390 or an AU1671 depending on what the stock springs can handle. For the AU-2-390 they need to be able to handle .500" lift. I'm not sure if they can, but if anyone knows, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

The valve springs will be maxed out at 500 thou lift. I would be replacing them, even though they are conicals they will still get coil bind. The spring will handle it, but for how long? I'll need to find my onld tech doc on spring lift. But, at the same time, Wade, or any other cam company will be able to tell you what they can be pushed to.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thanks for that mate. They didn't say I would probably be up for new springs but it is honestly just out of my budget at the moment. (working in retail sucks) however, they said it may work, and to give it a go. Just don't let them bind. Seeing as this is my first go with engine internals, I really don't know what I'm doing and don't feel like screwing up my car. :P

I might just go for the AU1671 depending on what lift it has (I think Wade sent me the specs somewhere) if not, there is always the fall back of the AU1502 which I believe is the 1636 el cam.

Thanks fellas

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

**they did say*** my phone is hellbent on using "didn't" as a substitute for every word starting with "d". :evil:

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I had both the AU1671 and AU1502 in my car with the standard springs. The 1502 had better down low power but the 1671 had a little more legs further in the rpm and the mid range was stronger.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of rev range am I looking at with those two?

I have had a little bit of exhaust work done recently, and it pulls pretty hard around 2.25~2.5 - 3.5k. But that is the highest i rev. That is when I'm being a bit of a tosser overtaking people that don't understand what a fast lane is. Haha.

So I'm looking for one that has some balls in a usable range for me. Wade aren't really disclosing a lot of the information I want.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The 1502AU felt very snappy straight off the throttle and came on strong at around 2500rpm the 1671AU came on strong at around the same point or just after but didn't feel as strong off the on take off. But diff gears and gearbox will play a huge part in that. I had 3.9s and auto with those cams.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the info mate. I really appreciate it :-)

Mines a 5spd but I do drive like a nanna, do reckon that will make any difference? My initial thoughts were for the 1502 but then Wade said I'd get the most torque out of the Au-2-390 but I'll need springs then.

Did your 1502 need new springs? Also, what did it sound like? Smooth or lumpy?

Thanks mate

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Na i didn't need new springs with the 1502AU, if you drive like a nanna I would go the 1502AU because its good for low-mid revs. But do you really drive like a nanna? I know when I was 19 my car would see redline daily :wink:

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Nah, I'm too cautious. I only have two points.
I've never been over 120. Except when rally driving. But that was in a wrx.

The falcon has never hit red line. To be honest, I don't think it would even make it that far. :-(

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I drive in 5th in most 60 zones.. I guess that is pretty conservative :-P

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fair enough. I would be looking for some like the 1502Au then. It has more usable power if your not revving the car much.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Awesome, thanks mate :-)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2