Fordmods Logo

El hybrid tickford motor fuel pressure regulator 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: El hybrid tickford motor fuel pressure regulator
Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:39 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef Ghia 1994

QLD, Australia

I know i have posted alot of threads on upgrading my ef ghia to xr6 (well kinda lol hybrid tickford) so i hope you guys aren't sick of me. I really do appreciate all the support yaz have given,if i could shout yaz a beer i would :D Will try not to waste ya time but i do have a couple of questions left. Is the el hybrid tickford fuel regulator the same as on the standard ef standard motor? Im guessing not??? Also im pretty sure the temp sensor,tps,o2 sensor,oil sensor are the same in both hybrid tickford and standard motor but a second or third opinion would be good to clarify. The reason i ask is that i have recently replaced all of the items mentioned for my standard ef ghia I and wanted to swap them onto my recently purchased el hybrid motor. Thanks again...

Post subject: Re: El hybrid tickford motor fuel pressure regulator
Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:24 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If you are using an EL Motor you will need to swap over the following;

1) Swap dizzy for the cam sensor.

2) Fit EF Coil Pack.

3) Fit Crank sensor

4) use the EF wiring Loom

5) You may need to fit the EF engine mount blocks as the left side mounts the coil pack.

6) If using an XR ECU you will need to ensure that it is an EF ECU not an EL and it will need to be for an Auto. Ghia ECU will need to be a series II EF Ghia. EL Ghia will not work.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Thanks although not the answer to my questions eg. tps,temp sensor,oil sensor,02 sensor same on hybrid tickford as standard but usefull info all the same. Wasn't aware of the crank angle sensor change but up to date on the rest. So if an el computer wont work does that mean that a standard ef Ghia I computer (ecu) wont work for the hybrid?or just that it wont have as much power etc...???

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

For the 100th time, the only difference between the Hydrid engine and previous engines was the rocker gear and the cam.

There is only a few Kw difference between the standard mortor and the XR6 engine. Don't expect a big difference between the two.
Std 4.0l 6cyl: 157Kw @ 4900rpm, 357nm @ 3000rpm
XR6 4.0l 6cyl; 164Kw @ 5000rpm, 366nm @ 3250rpm

increase of 7Kw and 9nm. Not a lot is it. 4.5% in Kw and 2.5% in Nm.

If the TPS, oil Sender, O2 sensor were different we would have said so.

Again, the only difference between the Hybrid and pre Hybrid is the rocker gear, valves and the cam. Every thing else is the same except the EF has coil Pack and the EL has Dizzy.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Okay thanks...and i aint no mind reader thats why i ask questions. Sorry if i cant understand the way people put it sometimes but it can be confusing when your saying rockers this,cam that ect.. Maybe easier if yaz explained it clearly instead of confusing me. Eg...

1) Swap dizzy for the cam sensor.

2) Fit EF Coil Pack.

3) Fit Crank sensor

4) use the EF wiring Loom

5) You may need to fit the EF engine mount blocks as the left side mounts the coil pack.

6) If using an XR ECU you will need to ensure that it is an EF ECU not an EL and it will need to be for an Auto. Ghia ECU will need to be a series II EF Ghia. EL Ghia will not work.

This makes it sound like an EF Ghia series-I ECU won't fit as there is nothing mentioned that it does only that Ghia ECU will need to be a series II EF Ghia but before this you mention... If using an XR ECU you will need to ensure that it is an EF ECU not an EL which suggested that it may ..confusing
I am greatfull for everyone's help,don't mean to get on anyone's nerves so ill leave yaz to it for now. I'll be fine now cheers for all the help. :arrow: :idea:

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Lets try again. It has been expained clearly and simply but we will try and be simpler.

1) Engines.

EF/EL XR 6: Same as the EL engine except that the ingition systems are different, EF Coil Pack, EL Dizzy.

EL XR 6 Hybrid: Uses AU Rockers, Cam, and Valves. Heads are interchangable but components arn't. (Valves, Rockers, Cam)

XR6 v Standard 4.0l engine; Std 4.0l 6cyl: 157Kw @ 4900rpm, 357nm @ 3000rpm, XR6 4.0l 6cyl; 164Kw @ 5000rpm, 366nm @ 3250rpm. Only difference between a Std Falcon and XR6 is the following;
a) Head & Cam
b) ECU
c) Diff ratio
d) Fuel Reg

2) Tickford Engine fitment: Tickford 4.0l fitted to - EF/EL XR6, EF Ghia II, EL Ghia. Not fitted to EF Ghia series I.

3) ECU: ECU is in manual or auto. ECU also controls the AUTO. ECU fitted to falcon is different than that fitted to XR, Fuel Maps, Auto shift points etc are different. Tickford ECU is fitted to EF Ghia II, EL Ghia and all XR6's. A Fairmont ECU will still run the motor but will have different maps etc.
EF ECU will not fit an EL and vic versa due to the EF running coil pack and EL running Dizzy.

4) Changes needed to fit EL Engine to EF:

1) Swap dizzy for the cam sensor. Very Clear
2) Fit EF Coil Pack.
3) Fit Crank sensor
4) use the EF wiring Loom (Due to the different ignition system)
6) If using an XR ECU you will need to ensure that it is an EF ECU not an EL and it will need to be for an Auto. Ghia ECU will need to be a series II EF Ghia. EL Ghia will not work. (EF Ghia I will work except that it is not Tickford mapped).

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

That was much better,very detailed and straight to the point. So replace all of the obvious eg..my new sensors (yes!!!! ) :mrgreen: ect..,fit aftermarket au cam,fit Xr6 ef auto computer and bob's your uncle... :D Thanks again

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Fitting the EF Crank Angle Sensor to an EL engine might require changing the timing cover??

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Fitting the EF Crank Angle Sensor to an EL engine might require changing the timing cover??

Yeah looks like it,won't know till i take the ef motor out. Sounds like im in for a bit of fun replacing the timing cover :roll:

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ef Ghia XR6 wrote:
That was much better,very detailed and straight to the point. So replace all of the obvious eg..my new sensors (yes!!!! ) :mrgreen: ect..,fit aftermarket au cam,fit Xr6 ef auto computer and bob's your uncle... :D Thanks again

There is no need to replace the cam as the one fitted to the EL motor will be XR Grind, you can if you wish but there is no necessity to do so.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:02 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Cheers aye,might just keep it standard for a bit until i have some spare coin...

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:23 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Ef Ghia XR6 wrote:
and i aint no mind reader thats why i ask questions. Sorry if i cant understand the way people put it sometimes but it can be confusing when your saying rockers this,cam that ect.. Maybe easier if yaz explained it clearly instead of confusing me.

THE GUYS HERE AT FORD MODS OWE YOU NOTHING .. THERE GOING OUT OF THERE WAY TO HELP US..
THEY HAVE HELPED SO MANY PEOPLE SO MANY TIMES .THEY DESERVE NOTHING BUT RESPECT,
GO READ UP ON THE JOB YOU HAVE IN FRONT OF YOU.. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DOING .. SWC DID NOT CONFUSE ME... WHAT YOU ARE DOING HAS BEEN DONE PLENTY OF TIMES .. THERE IS ALOT OF INFORMATION ON FORDMODS..
A SIMPLE SEARCH CAN SAVE EVERYONE ON THE SITE LOOKING AT ANOTHER REPEATED QUESTION...
Sorry about the caps .. i got to far to go back...

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:20 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

tickford861 wrote:
Ef Ghia XR6 wrote:
and i aint no mind reader thats why i ask questions. Sorry if i cant understand the way people put it sometimes but it can be confusing when your saying rockers this,cam that ect.. Maybe easier if yaz explained it clearly instead of confusing me.

THE GUYS HERE AT FORD MODS OWE YOU NOTHING .. THERE GOING OUT OF THERE WAY TO HELP US..
THEY HAVE HELPED SO MANY PEOPLE SO MANY TIMES .THEY DESERVE NOTHING BUT RESPECT,
GO READ UP ON THE JOB YOU HAVE IN FRONT OF YOU.. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DOING .. SWC DID NOT CONFUSE ME... WHAT YOU ARE DOING HAS BEEN DONE PLENTY OF TIMES .. THERE IS ALOT OF INFORMATION ON FORDMODS..
A SIMPLE SEARCH CAN SAVE EVERYONE ON THE SITE LOOKING AT ANOTHER REPEATED QUESTION...
Sorry about the caps .. i got to far to go back...

Um i know the job i have to do i was just getting some pointers as to the best way of going about it. I do relize they are here to help and if you have read enough of my posts i thank everyone who helps as i'm greatfull for thier help. I had tried searching and alot of topics came up but none that helped my personal questions. If asking questions ends up like this maybe i'll just sort things out on my own. Cheers for the help guys...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]