Fordmods Logo

EL int over voltage and loss of instrument panel. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EL int over voltage and loss of instrument panel.
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi all, my wifes EL has developed a strange intermittent fault after the top radiator hose leaked water on the the alternator.
Not sure if the events are releated - but suspect so.
When the engine is hot, the dash goes off (no gauges or indications apart for the battey light and "econ" tranmission light).
The engine also lacks power considerably.
Today it did it again and I measured the voltage at the cigarette lighter socket and it was 16v.
Turned the engine off, started again - and worked fine till I got home - about 10 mins.
All other times it's 13.8v and everything else is normal.
So I'm going to remove the alternator and get it re-built when I can find a local (Melb / Eltham) auto elec who is open...

It won't be driven until I do this as I figure sticking 16v into things can't be good.

Any comments or advice welcome.

Cheers, Chris

'98 EL wagon - 170,000km
'93 EB wagon - about 500,000km (broken Odo)
'85 XF wagon - about 500,000km (broken Odo). Off the road, not sure what to do with it...

Post subject: Re: EL int over voltage and loss of instrument panel.
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

There are 3 wires going to your alternator,1 of course is your main battery feed .The other 2 are your alternator warning light and the third is battery sensing which is the one the regulator reads to determine your charge rate .If the battery sense wire is going open circuit this can cause the alternator to over charge.So check your connections at the battery and the 2 pin plug at the alternator.Or your regulator is intermittently over charging or getting hot and over charging.Use a testlight or multimeter to check the wiring .Cheers Kevman

Post subject: Re: EL int over voltage and loss of instrument panel.
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I measured the two wires and neither were open or short - can't remeber the resistence but it was a fair bit.
I put a reco alternator in largely due to the need to get the car going.
While I was under the car removing the alternator I noticed the water pump was leaking - so I replaced that too. While I had the serpentine belt off I figured I may as well replace that as well.
It ran hot initially due to a big air lock somewhere - but got that out and so far it runs OK (well still a bit rough on idle, but I plan to clean the idle bypass oneday).
Now I can get my car back !

'98 EL wagon - 170,000km
'93 EB wagon - about 500,000km (broken Odo)
'85 XF wagon - about 500,000km (broken Odo). Off the road, not sure what to do with it...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]