Fordmods Logo

El knock sensor location & picture please. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: El knock sensor location & picture please.
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2004 Ba Xr6

VIC, Australia

hey im thinking of changing my knock sensor cause i think it might be up the sh****r & causing my falcon to be really sluggy..Motor has a tiny tick noise to it when u rev it up a little, sort of sounds like a piece of plastic bouncing everywhere & the information on the internet says you'll usually hear a little tick and ur performance with be sluggish which im getting from the falcon..Cars got 320,000 on the clock with pacemaker extractors redback exhaust high flow cat & k&N filter and its a slug.. So if anyones able to give me a little info on where it is with a picture or so since i havnt done a knock sensor before that would be great so i can change it over to a new one and see if it makes a difference, i've done map sensor checked vac lines serviced it new leads and blablabla but still a pig .. Sort of my last idea for it. Thanks

Post subject: Re: El knock sensor location & picture please.
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The knock sensor is located on the intake side just below the head on the block under intake port 5. It is just behind the coil pack
Attachment:
Knock sensor location.jpg
Knock sensor location.jpg [ 220.72 KiB | Viewed 838 times ]

Attachment:
Knock sensor location 3.jpg
Knock sensor location 3.jpg [ 11.12 KiB | Viewed 6428 times ]

Attachment:
Knock sensor location 2.jpg
Knock sensor location 2.jpg [ 9.72 KiB | Viewed 6381 times ]

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
The knock sensor is located on the intake side just below the head on the block under intake port 5. It is just behind the coil pack
Attachment:
Knock sensor location.jpg

Attachment:
Knock sensor location 3.jpg

Attachment:
Knock sensor location 2.jpg

thats next to the Fuel injectors near the bbm?..If so thats a prick cuz idk how to get to that i was looking at it before lol.. and they wana charge 154$ at shop for a new one..Maybe one at the wreckers will low kms would be a better idea?

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Don't see the reason to change it unless it is broken away, There are no moving parts in them and they sense when the engine is pinging and send a signal to the ECU which adjusts the timing. EA to ED wern't fitted with them and they are only EF onwards.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Don't see the reason to change it unless it is broken away, There are no moving parts in them and they sense when the engine is pinging and send a signal to the ECU which adjusts the timing. EA to ED wern't fitted with them and they are only EF onwards.

ah k read on internet can cause sluggishness ah well if not ill leave it..cuz my el runs like a slug and ive ran outer ideas.. lol done map sensor, service, leads, plugs, tightened accelerator cable, checked vac line..all done but still a slug down low..i can litteraly hear it bog out for a split second then slowly climb upto speed flat to the floor..really irritating

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

AS a test just un plug it, the car will still run fine without it...
if its picking up engine noise( loud lifter noise) ect it can mistake it as engine knock and can retard the timing..

as a general rule though, if the car dont feel right look at serviceably stuff first, plugs or air filter, old plugs and dirty filter can cause it to feel sluggish also..

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
AS a test just un plug it, the car will still run fine without it...
if its picking up engine noise( loud lifter noise) ect it can mistake it as engine knock and can retard the timing..

as a general rule though, if the car dont feel right look at serviceably stuff first, plugs or air filter, old plugs and dirty filter can cause it to feel sluggish also..

as a general rule though, if the car dont feel right look at serviceably stuff first, plugs or air filter, old plugs and dirty filter can cause it to feel sluggish also..[/quote]

yeh done all these lol.. yer it might be doing as what u said if its picking up engine noise( loud lifter noise) ect it can mistake it as engine knock and can retard the timing. i might just take to mechanic get his thoughts..ive done all i can really lol

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Have you checked your Fuel Filter?

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

Apologies for the thread hijack! My brother-in-law said that the knock sensor could possibly affect fuel economy to a degree? Because mine's shocking (up around 18-19L/100) and he said that if its buggered it can back off the timing to the point where it hinders your consumption.

In any case, next full tank I'll unplug it to see if it makes a difference. But it looks like a pain to get to for someone without nimble hands? Almost as bad as changing the dizzy!

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

steedy wrote:
Apologies for the thread hijack! My brother-in-law said that the knock sensor could possibly affect fuel economy to a degree? Because mine's shocking (up around 18-19L/100) and he said that if its buggered it can back off the timing to the point where it hinders your consumption.

In any case, next full tank I'll unplug it to see if it makes a difference. But it looks like a pain to get to for someone without nimble hands? Almost as bad as changing the dizzy!

Have you checked your O2 Sensor?

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
steedy wrote:

Have you checked your O2 Sensor?

Changed it about 4 months ago and didn't make a bee's d**k of difference. I am almost certain that my cat is buggered. First the exhaust sounded a bit blocked, the end of the tailpipe is completely black (like charcoal, unburnt fuel black), and now its developed a nice solid rattle over the past month.

But I'm not sure if that is the whole story, because I didnt think it would be able to have that much of a difference (close to double the fuel consumption), so for something that won't cost me anything I'll have a shot at unplugging the knock sensor.

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Have you checked your Fuel Filter?

List of things done:
Fuel filter
Service-> Oil Plugs & New leads
02 sensor changed
accelerator cable tightened..had a fair bit of slack i could pull it up with my finger before the butterfly opened.
Fuel injectors changed, Swapped my eb injectors to my el since my eb got written off by someone else
Map sensor changed 10$ at wreckers
TCp sensor or w/e its called above the intake i sprayed carby cleaner into that & also into butterfly

Lol so quite a fair bit done to try and fix it, funny enough i had a spare BA intake from the manifold to the airbox..I decided why not try it.. Put on the BA intake from the Manifold which came around then put a longer black hosing and clamped it onto the airbox.. Its gotten ridden of the bogging out from taking off at the lights funny enough lol.. The stock setup mustve been causing it cuz since i changed that there isnt any sluggishness now .. How weird especially since its the standard factory setup it shouldnt make the car get sluggy..appears it did tho lol

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

steedy wrote:

i would be changing the 02 sensor first like SWC above pointed out..my ba xr6 was going through alot of fuel when i first bought it and after i serviced it and changed a few things the thing purs like a kitten now..the new 02 sensor on its own did wonders.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

when did you replace or clean your air filter last??

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
when did you replace or clean your air filter last??

i put a k&n filter into the EL above 6months ago. & ive pretty much given the EL to my misses since i got the ba and shes giving me 1500 for it...so she only drives it down the shops and such, normal womanly things :lol: so no dirt roads and such to clog it up ive sussed it out too

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next