EL Lead replacement 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Lead replacement
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

I need to replace my leads, and have been putting it off for a while. What is the easiest way ? Car on a ramp, take out Air-box or just what ? There is not much room or access there.

Regards 96ELGli

Post subject: Re: EL Lead replacement
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Hey,
Its been a while since i changed the leads on an EL, but IIRC i just removed the air box and that made them easy enough to get to. (I've got small hands though) lol. But pretty sure that was all i did. Didn't have it on ramps or anything just on the ground. Just replace one at a time, no chance of screwing up the order then.

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I sort of thought that may be the best way. I was hoping there might be some idea I havn't thought of though. I also thought about getting a new cap and rotor and feed the leads through as a bunch. The new ones are numbered, and all are different lengths which will help. I can re-check the lead position with the old one doing it this way. I got caught with a new cap years ago, it had the lead positions marked, except it was a different car with a different firing order that used the same cap.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Hey,
Yep, that would be the best way of doing it. New cap, line up the lead numbers with the cap numbers and plug em in after checking new cap same as old cap, put cap back on, feed them through as a bunch, line up the lead numbers with cylinder numbers and onto the spark plugs and away you go :)

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If you don't plan on replacing the cap, just pull the air intake box and snorkel out. That gives you heaps of room to move. To remove the leads I just use needle nose pliers and pull them out from the top if I can get to them. To put them back in, I do it one by one, starting with the one furthest to the front of the engine on the cap. Feed the lead through from the top and then line the L-shaped end onto the nipple. Use the handle end of a screwdriver (or something blunt) and push it down until it clicks. Repeat for the others.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Do not even try to change leads if the car is hot. The heater pipe will make your life HELL.

EL Ghia

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

I got them changed, it was like I thought it would be. Did some blood letting on the first one, then got the rest done. I still have the Coil lead to go, but I will do that from under with the corner up a ramp. Thanks all for the replies. I now know why shops want a hour and $100.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

I got them changed, it was like I thought it would be. Did some blood letting on the first one, then got the rest done. I still have the Coil lead to go, but I will do that from under with the corner up a ramp. Thanks all for the replies. I now know why shops want a hour and $100.

You don't HAVE to jack up the car to do the coil lead. If you can do it by feel it is quite easy as long as you have long arms.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Changing the leads on an EL is one of my least favorite jobs. I usually end up removing the snorkel and air box before taking the dizzy cap off and plugging in the leads that way. I can't seem to be able to plug anything in properly while it's still connected.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

I took out my airbix n snorkel I still couldn't get my arms in there haha need a skinny mate !! :p or the missus.........hang on a minute........no forget that hahaha :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]