Fordmods Logo

EL leaking coolant AGAIN! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

New Zealand

Just wondering about this head gasket thingy???

My EL has done 170000 clicks and is still in top notch order... Do I expect it to pop any day now??

Is it much to replace them??

Cheers
Drew

Bog stock 98 EL Futura 4.1 with a pod filter.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

traindriver wrote:

My EL has done 170000 clicks and is still in top notch order... Do I expect it to pop any day now??

Cheers
Drew

I think as long as you make sure you flush the cooling system at least once every 18 months and just check your hoses etc. Also dont fill the reservoir all the way to the top. Just exactly half way and she should go sweet. My EL is sitting on 189500km at the moment and *touchwood* seems to be going well :D Also a question for ya mate? In your avatar you say you have a 4.1 and Bog stock the EL & EF's only came out in 4.0litre ?

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

I had to replace my Coolant reservoir tank about a year ago as it was bulging out in a big way and sort of ready to literally explode. The plastic deterioates heaps after a while

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon Gli

VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
traindriver wrote:

Cheers
Drew

I think as long as you make sure you flush the cooling system at least once every 18 months and just check your hoses etc. Also dont fill the reservoir all the way to the top. Just exactly half way and she should go sweet. My EL is sitting on 189500km at the moment and *touchwood* seems to be going well :D Also a question for ya mate? In your avatar you say you have a 4.1 and Bog stock the EL & EF's only came out in 4.0litre ?

(begin ranting a raving)
My head gasket was done in when I bought my car (thanks heaps Bayford!) Apparently at some point it had gone around the 120 to 130 k range but someone tightened the head bolts to near breaking point to cover it up for the racv roadworthy. When I took it in for a "scheduled service" they tried to pass some garbage that "it's really strange" and that "we don't know how this has happened" (thanks Steve!). Bayford wanted $1000+ to replace the gasket and machine the heads but I threw that in their face, asked for my so called extended warranty to be refunded on the grounds that it covered nothing of any value and found a local mechanic that fixed it up for little over $600 which included all new head bolts (make sure they replace them all) and he machined the head, replaced a few hoses, pressure tested the coolant system and filled it up with all new coolant!
(end ranting and raving)

;)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

oh and just so you know, my head gasket was fixed several years ago so it is highly unlikely that my current problems are related as it's purred like a kitten until now...

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Leaky_Gli wrote:
oh and just so you know, my head gasket was fixed several years ago so it is highly unlikely that my current problems are related as it's purred like a kitten until now...

In six years of ownership my EA did a head gasket 3 times! Only once could you tell from driving it. Don't discount the head, or you could miss the true cause of your problem.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
Leaky_Gli wrote:

In six years of ownership my EA did a head gasket 3 times! Only once could you tell from driving it. Don't discount the head, or you could miss the true cause of your problem.

yikes, ok thanks for the heads up, at least I'm less likely to have a heart attack should my mechanic find the unspeakable ;)

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

bowsaw wrote:
The E series do head gaskets because the block was cast in sand

I didn't know that.
Interesting.

Was this the same method for the V8's?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2