EL motor losing power under load 

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: EL motor losing power under load
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUI Fairmont Ghia 5.0L V8

QLD, Australia

Hey guys,

I've recently put a 4.0L EFI EL motor in my street sedan and in it's last race it was EXTREMELY lacking in power. It idles perfectly but when I put the foot down it gives a good burst of power, then starts coughing and spluttering and loses power.
I've narrowed the problem down to fuel delivery but if anyone has any suggestions or an EF-EL workshop manual that I can download I would greatly appreciate it.
Also, the motor has a stage 3 cam, bored 40thou, head shaved 20thou, after market chip, standalone electric fuel pump and a hotdog exhaust.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: EL motor losing power under load
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

There's E series as well as AU series manuals (pdf) you can find online - they're not real good but might give some info. I don't think proper workshop manuals are available for free anywhere.

Have you tried it without the "chip"? What sort is it? - ie. Chiptorque, Fuelchip etc.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
There's E series as well as AU series manuals (pdf) you can find online - they're not real good but might give some info. I don't think proper workshop manuals are available for free anywhere.

Have you tried it without the "chip"? What sort is it? - ie. Chiptorque, Fuelchip etc.

I'm not sure what sort of chip it was. the mechanic that did the work for us organised one through the auto electrician he uses and, being in his late 70s, didn't know too much about the chip itself.
I have been looking in to downloading a program to change the chip settings. Assuming I could use the program right, could this help?

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you would first need to know what chip it is, then you would need the programmer for that chip and the program that you need to tune it.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

If you go have a look at the T.I. Performance website you'll get a handle on how the ECU is "Chipped" and what's involved in changing the program. In short there is no way of just plugging a laptop into the ECU and altering the tune.

It's worth trying it without the chip - rather than removing the chip you might be best getting another secondhand ECU the same part number. The engine should run more or less ok without being "chipped" - tho idle might be fairly evil - and you can establish whether the issue is simply with the "chip" or something else in the system.

In saying all this, one thing that occurs to me is your fuel system has evidently been messed with... - so have you made sure the fuel lines are the right way round - ie. fuel px from the pump goes into the rail and fuel line from the bottom of the regulator is RETURN - ie. people often make mistake of thinking pressure has to go TO the bottom of the regulator - that's wrong as the regulator regulates pressure UPSTREAM of itself.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Check your fuel filter, sounds like it is starving for fuel and under heavy load, the rail is not pressurised to required levels. Also a severely blocked air intake can cause issues as well as a blocked exhaust system...collapsed cat or muffler.

It could be the chip...would the car run without the chip?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

The chip would be disableing the smart lock.
Is the vacume line plugged on to the fuel pressure regulator? Is the regulator possibly buggered

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

We've only run 2 race meets with this setup. I'm guessing the motor would still be tight but it shouldn't be dying the way it is. The pump, filter and regulator were all replaced when the motor was done.

At a guess I would say the chip is a J3, simply because I can't find any other aftermarket chip for E-series computers. I have looked in to T.I performance and I am think about getting a programmer off them and using my friends computer who already has a tuning program to try reprogramming.

I'll check all the vacuum and fuel lines this weekend as I'm away all this week and our next race isn't until March 9.

Would getting a new set of injectors be another good place to start?

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

you still need to know what brand of chip. it is called a j3 chip because it goes onto the j3 port on the ecu. moates do a chip as well as chiptorque and t.i. performance. t.i's programmer will only work on t.i's chips same as the moates gear i think.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Decided to get a whole new chip. Going with a T.I Performance chip and might look in to getting all the gear we need to tune it at home after a few runs. The motor was putting out 150hp fresh from getting new pistons and cam, with the wrong chip. Can anybody give me an estimate on how much power this motor will eventually make with the new chip and after it loosens up a bit more?

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

how long is a piece of string? what mods? what cam? gearbox?

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
how long is a piece of string? what mods? what cam? gearbox?

Cylinders bored 40thou, head shaved 20thou, stage 3 Crow Cams cam, pod filter, 5 speed manual gearbox.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

someone else will have to answer that, i dont know the specs of that cam

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im assuming thats 150hp at the wheels? if so it seems a bit low.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
im assuming thats 150hp at the wheels? if so it seems a bit low.

That is approx 113RwKw. That is s**t. I have seen 400,000km stock engines put out higher than that.

They are a 150+FwKw engine fresh from the Factory and allowing for 25% loss at the drivetrain is what you have 113RwKw.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next