Fordmods Logo

EL police ECU (from fern tree gully salvage) in EB? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EL police ECU (from fern tree gully salvage) in EB?
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

hey was just looking through the for sale forum for an EB Auto 4L ECU and came across a thread with someone selling an el police ecu for like $150.... and apparently they can be had for around that new from FTG.

Currently i have an ED ecu in my EBII which turns out has a speed limiter where my EBII ecu didnt. - I'm also being quoted ~$140 for this ecu.. rip off?? mmhmm ??

does an EL ecu in an EBII give me any features? thermo fans possibly or anything like that? how much work is involved in piggybacking the two so i keep my smartlock etc from the old ecu.

Or should i just source an ebII auto ecu?

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA II S-Pac

VIC, Australia

Is it possible to do that? I mean run an ECU from a later model car? For example, My EAII, is it possible to swap my ECU for an ED ECO? What are the benefits of this? Also is it hard to do?

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

Putting an ED ECU into an EA would be problematic at best since you have Smartlock to contend with. An EB S1 ECU would be a better choice though I can't see what the benefit of such a swap would be as their all the same family (EEC-IV) with much the same features.

Fitting an EF+ ECU (EEC-V) would be a tad more advantageous as it offers such things as thermofan control and distributorless ignition (though this would be disabled, at the firmware level most likely, on ELs. Not to mention EA-D and EL motors probably aren't cast to suit the sensors required for the distributorless ignition system to work). However, an EL ECU may freak out if you don't also fit the broadband intake manifold it expects to see but I'm not 100% sure as I don't know what other, if any other, engine parameters are altered besides runner length when the BBM is kicked into action. The cluster data may also be incompatible facilitating the need to fit an EL cluster as well. This also means your trip computer won't work unless you drive it from your old cluster suitably hidden somewhere. I'd say that it'd be too much effort just to remove a speed limiter and suggest you stick with an EB ECU but I don't know nearly enough about this stuff to back that up so it's probably best taken with a grain of salt.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Futura

WA, Australia

nahh man i think youve hit the nail on the head,. short answer... no.

94 ED Futura, 5spd, RPM clutch,3.27 LSD, PH4480 pacemakers, 2.5'' Supercat, STG 2 Wade1004-112 advanced16degrees, XH intake K&N panel,pedders superlows, Expursuit puter. clearindicators, volvoTT thermofan
15.3@146kph
Alpine deck,splits,rears, clarion amp P1Crossfire subboofa, tint

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]