EL problems after replacing ignition parts 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL problems after replacing ignition parts
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:03 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

WA, Australia

Hello,

Been searching on these forums for the past month or so and decided to register. Great website, used plenty of the tech docs so far to get my 97 EL back into shape.

Now, wondered if anyone may be able to help me out with a problem on my falcon. Owned the car for just over a month. Its a 1997 EL ex taxi and has done 771,000 k's (and no that is not a typo!!) DUAL FUEL

Have got receipts for recent work, had replacement head, new radiator.

When i first drove it it had a slight hesitation in 3rd and 4th gear. Thought it would be a quick fix with plugs and leads.......

Anyway I changed the plugs for the NGK's that were in before and the ones recommended in the shop and on here. Put on Bosch leads compatible for duel fuel.

Started fine on cold but when hot car wouldnt start. Drove nicely when itdid start on cold.

Anyway got the Mechanics in and the told me to replace the Coil and the complete dizzy set up. So did this and they did the timing for me at the same time.

Then drove the car and its is running like a dog on both LPG and Petrol.

The car is very slow off the mark, is jerking thoughout the rev range. Occassionaly hunting on idle. And has also stalled a couple of times.

have minimal power in both LPG and Petrol.

Got a fuel filter to put on as well as an oil filter and oil changed to do but guessing that these will have nothing to do with the problem as it is happening on both fuels.

Now the car was 10 times better before these changes.

Does anyone have any ideas on things i can check before i spend another small fortune with a mechanic

Many thanks

Dan

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

What did they set the timing to?

possible the flywheel markings moved (outer hub slips sometimes I've heard) and the timing is now off the mark..

Out of curiosity.. open your bonnet in pitch black dark one night and start the motor and watch..

When I did this I found a couple of leads had broken internally and were arcing inside..

When I replaced them, the thing is perfect now.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

thank you for that, I will take a look at that.

Not sure what they set the timing to. Im far from a mechanic. i just saw him get the timing gun out, start the car and point it at engine somewhere.

Then he said, "well ive never replaced those parts before and had the timing spot on" He didnt need to adjust the timing but said it was ok.

Ive seen those timing guns in Supercheap auto for $10 which I would go and buy and check the timing if I knew how to use the thing :? :)

Thanks

Dan

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

oh and he did mark something with a pen below the distrubutor so that he could match it back up. Both lines still matching....

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

got the mechanic back out to look at the car today, timing was out. They adjusted it to what it should be and both them and I drove the car.

The car was still down on power but i was happy that it was running smoothly.

After they left i drove up the shops. Switched over to LPG and it stalled but got the big bang under the bonnet which I was used to and aware that it is just the air intake pipe. I guessed that now it has had lots of new parts then the LPG would need a tune up so switched back to petrol

started on petrol and is running like a bag of Sh*t again!!!

Low down revs pulling away it will accelerate VERY slowly (and i mean just about to pull over as im holding up traffic) if I floor it then it will sometimes begin to accelerate sometimes it wont

Doesnt happen all the time but does 50% of the time.

Had enough of this car already!

Any help would be great if anyone knows the answer

Will try and have a look at the leads tonight when it gets dark

Cheers

Dan

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

and also the back fire on LPG caused the air intake pipe to split slightly. I have taped it up temporarily as i went to Ford and they wanted $450 for a new air intake pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

771,000 k's

how much you paid?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

lol paid $1700 for it :D :lol:

Anyway just did a bit more research on here and began thinking about the CAT.

I unplugged the 02 sensor and went for a drive. Although very loud :shock: it drove very well.

I plugged the sensor back in and the problem came back.

The Cat is old/rusty and the rear section of exhaust appears newish. So do you think it would be the CAT or the Sensor causing the problems??

Thanks

Dan

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

should be able to take the cat off and look inside.

id say the sensor needs a replace anyway (probably never been done) and the cat could (most likely) be blocked if the sensor is stuffed

take it to an exhaust place. they'll run a temp sensor over it and check the cat

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

thanks mate.
Will take it to an exhaust place tomorrow and see how i get on. Dont fancy the chances of me getting the Cat out myself without breaking something or hurting myself :shock:

Good advert for Ford though eh??? 771 k's and still going (just :lol: )

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Highly unlikely the cat is blocked after changing what you have. Check with the mechanic if the timing was set in diagnostic mode and if so did he run it in for about 2 min or just after the engine almost stalls (in diagnsotic mode). If it was set soon after engine started in diagnostic and after the reves increased then came down it will be retarded resulting in loss of power and back firing especially on gas.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

hi

He did do it in diagnostic mode as i helped him to short the wires out in the fuse box. He did however begin to check timing almost immeadiately. Whilst he was doing it the car almost stalled but he was still adjusting it whilst this happened.

Interesting though as i read about this on here before they did it but he seemed to know what he was doing and was aware about putting it into this mode before doing the timing, unlike the guy that came round friday and did the timing!

That has thrown a spanner in the works for me. I might just have to put it into a mechanic and ask them to diagnose the problem with it. Didnt really want to spend another load of money on it but guess i dont have much choice as i dont know what im doing

Thanks for the info

Dan

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I also got under the car and shook the cat whilst still in place and could hear shaking inside. Not sure if that is normal?? Wasnt a loud noise just felt the internals hitting the exhaust

Thanks

Dan

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T ute

VIC, Australia

my dads old ea went 720,000 kms not even a head gasket went on it but it was rusty and oil leaks everywhere, he passed it down to me when i got my license and the car was road worthied by the fuzz and canaried and was gonna be too much to repair so i sold it for $150... the guy i sold it 2 got a dodgy rw and the car is now on 900,00 still no dramas

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

sounds like the cat is rooted, so that could explain some of the hesitations.

i wonder how well the injectors are flowing? might be worth getting them cleaned up

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next