Fordmods Logo

EL Running Rough 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:20 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

NSW, Australia

hey, well, heres a nice lil coincidence, see our cars getting slowly worse, and now its starting to jutter a lil bit if u smash the accelerator on when its cold, the cars also using a lil more fuel, and were getting about 480km to a tank of fuel, when we were getting about 550, so mums decided(seens how no one can work out whats wrong with it), that it might have something to do with the exhaust, and shes said were getting a new exhaust put on it by january on account of it wont pass rego with a rusty a**(big holes) exhaust.
best bit is, a standard exhaust is 210 fitted, and i can get a 2.5 inch highflow exhaust with a lil more noise than the standard for only 220 fitted, so ill push for that.

say anyone know why changin leads and sparks, and using a tank of vortex with a double dose of injector cleaner would be bad for the car??

any ideas would help, i wont do it again lol, we used bosch plugs and leads btw.

thanks!!!

mods to my laser:
vortex fuel.....seriously, its quicker than mums falcon, well, at stalling anyway....oh she does alright burnouts tho, will post a picture soon enough....screw flanders!!

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

feed any car when its cold and its not gonna go terribly great until it warms up. My EF wont get away to fast when its cold Besides i always warm my car for at least 1 min before taking off, this is when most your engine ware occurs.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

I always find it is best to give my EL a couple of minutes of idling first thing in the morning before I drive off. I think 2 many people turn the key over then drive off in their cars in the morning. I think this is bad for the motor for sure. Like previous post said 70% of engine damage is done on initial start-up.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FG-XR6 EL EA '24 Dodge

NSW, Australia

It sounds more like a crook injector to me assuming that plugs and leads and dizzy cap are ok

As Sigfried once said "Nein Nein Ninty Nine"

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

i kno this is a old thread but yer i have to agree...id b thinking fuel probs, there seems to be spark there leads should be ok. Injectors with a sonic clean all the way...dont use that bottled s**t...does nothing

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF waggin - gli/XR/ghia

NSW, Australia

ndroo wrote:
i kno this is a old thread but yer i have to agree...id b thinking fuel probs, there seems to be spark there leads should be ok. Injectors with a sonic clean all the way...dont use that bottled s**t...does nothing

Injectors are worth a try too. My car had been misfiring really badly (especially at idle) for many months. MRE-40L put a set of Waggin's old injectors in for me on Monday, and.....no more misfire!

Red goes faster, and chicks drive better

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

i had a very similar problem with my el-xr6 just after i bought it. It was very slow when cold and would splutter etc, so I changed the lot air and fuel filters, no change, spark plugs, no change, cap and rotor button, no change, so then i went for the crap job and changed the leads, fixed...
6 months later it started with the same crap again and i thought that the leads should last longer than that.
It turned out to be the ignition timing was to far retarded and i mean about 20 degrees too much so once i adjusted it the technical way (grabbed and turned a heap) it went like a rocket hot or cold.
I later fine tuned it by ear but it certainly helped.....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

This is a very common problem if you haven't already guessed. I had this very same problem 18 months ago. Try this

Remove and check the resistance on each lead they should be less than 20,000 Ohms.

Check distributor cap for wear,cracks etc
Check rotor

Remove each injector and have them professionally cleaned (about $20ea)

With engine running spray some aerostart or similar around manifold gasket, if idle increases than a leak is indicated.

Check all vacuum hoses for leaks

Finally after all this my fix was to run the car on premium fuel for about 3 months!

Do each item above at differant times so you can find out the true cause.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hi my efs rough on idle some times rough other times rougher iv changed leads spark ,plugs, my next thing was coil pack it c,ant be cap efs dont have them any suggestions what to try

Thanks Dazza :lol:

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

If you don't have a dissy then my suggestion willl be of no benefit....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

efster wrote:
Hi my efs rough on idle some times rough other times rougher iv changed leads spark ,plugs, my next thing was coil pack it c,ant be cap efs dont have them any suggestions what to try

Thanks Dazza :lol:
Remove each injector and have them professionally cleaned (about $20ea)

With engine running spray some aerostart or similar around manifold gasket, if idle increases than a leak is indicated.

Check all vacuum hoses for leaks

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

mine does the same thing, when you first start the car it idles pretty rough, goes up and down, then once it warms up its pretty much fine. I got a new cam to go in but i dont wanna put it in until the car is running properly.

probably next week Ill replace all the plugs/leads and also the injectors (gettin em off a mate for $100, all 6). If that doesnt fix it then f**k if i know!

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Ok madmax i will get that done an see what happens

Thanks for help :D

Post subject: EF running rough
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I've also got similar problems with my wife's Ef Futura. Starts and runs ok on petrol, bu does seem to hunt a little bit when you're going up a hill. On LPG, which is a Tickford system, it will hardly run at all. Has a big,big flat spot, and even trying the tune up for Tickford systemsas featured on Fordmods, it won't work. I've tried to tune it about 7 times all up, and at least 4 of the times I got the revs perfect at 3000 for the required time, just wouldn't work. Does this sound like the problem mentioned in this thread about the intake manifold bolts being loose? Just has it at a mechanics last week, he f@rt around and found the spark plugs weren't correct, but didn't really change tahe way it ran at all. Help please!!

Post subject: Re: EF running rough
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ratj wrote:
I've also got similar problems with my wife's Ef Futura. Starts and runs ok on petrol, bu does seem to hunt a little bit when you're going up a hill. On LPG, which is a Tickford system, it will hardly run at all. Has a big,big flat spot, and even trying the tune up for Tickford systemsas featured on Fordmods, it won't work. I've tried to tune it about 7 times all up, and at least 4 of the times I got the revs perfect at 3000 for the required time, just wouldn't work. Does this sound like the problem mentioned in this thread about the intake manifold bolts being loose? Just has it at a mechanics last week, he f@rt around and found the spark plugs weren't correct, but didn't really change tahe way it ran at all. Help please!!

If its the same on petrol and LPG then you can rule out a fuel problem, so its either going to be a vacuum leak, or an ignition problem. Check leads, plugs, coil pack etc. check for vacuum leaks around manifold and hose connections.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2