Fordmods Logo

EL Spark Problems 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL Spark Problems
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EL Option 20

QLD, Australia

Gday, washed down my EL with degreaser and water earlier this morning, starter her up about an hour later, started, then died 2 seconds later. Car still cranks, but doesn't have the bang.

So far I have figured this out; there is spark at lead from the coil, but no spark from the dizzy. I have wd-40'd all the plugs and cables that got wet and nothing still... Fuses are fine, relays are fine.

What next, about to get the hair dryer out and try dry the plugs with that.

Any help? Info etc.

Post subject: Re: EL Spark Problems
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

VIC, Australia

pull the dizzy cap off, remove the rotor button and then lift off the black cap from below where the rotor sits, water seems to get trapped in underneath there. happened to me with my ed a few times now.

also check the plug in the side of the dizzy, contacts mite be corroded and need cleaning

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Worst thing is the positioning of the dizzy, such a fiddly place to get to. Will try it tomorrow, it's new years eve, not time for car fiddling :twisted:

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Okay!

Still not working, got myself a gregorys manual yesterday, worst thing is I don't know if the water is just a coincidence or if the dizzy is just playing up.

The worst thing is it's a public holiday and i need to get this car working by tomorrow! I'm thinking about trying to source down a dizzy cap to see if that helps.

The leads and spark plugs were replaced 20,000kms ago, so they shouldn't be a problem and I only have an old analogue multimeter so it's a bit of a piss around to do proper testing.

Cheers
Josh

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

New update! a very small spark has occurred at the leads, going to try another spark plug to see if it's just spark plug that i'm using is a bit dead. But if there is still a small spark / yellow spark could this mean something wrong with the coil?

Cheers
Josh

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Sounds like the coil is shot. Been down this track.

Easiest way to get to the Dizzy on an EL is pull out your airbox, also helps to get to the coil.

When I replaced my coil in the wagon I picked up the new one from Bosch which has the wiring plug and the High Tension lead on the same side. Come with a short extension lead with male and female plugs. I cut this, extended it and mounted the coil on top of the AC Compressor. Makes like so much simpler.

Last edited by SWC on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

SWC wrote:

I've got plenty of spark from the coil to the dizzy though, just not from the dizzy to the leads. I'm thinking of replacing the leads, and if that doesn't work, then the cap, and hopefully it doesn't come down to the whole dizzy.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

yes, test the coil before you do too much else

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

When you get the coil off, take the brackets off and have a close look, they usually crack...heat and vibes. The water gets in when you wash the engine.
Have seen this many, many times.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

splosh123 wrote:
SWC wrote:

I've got plenty of spark from the coil to the dizzy though, just not from the dizzy to the leads. I'm thinking of replacing the leads, and if that doesn't work, then the cap, and hopefully it doesn't come down to the whole dizzy.

What condition is the Rotor button and the inside of the cap, Mine was a right mess and amazed me that the car went at all.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

SWC wrote:
splosh123 wrote:
SWC wrote:

What condition is the Rotor button and the inside of the cap, Mine was a right mess and amazed me that the car went at all.

Question is, how do you easily tell with that inlet manifold in the way?

I just bought a new ignition coil, going to hook that up today, if it doesn't work i'll spit chips then look at the distributor... Looking at the workshop manual, i'm confused. The EL is running the EFI -EEC V Distributor right? Because theres also a couple pages about distributorless systems. and it's saying that the EEC V Distributor is for 5.0Ls.

Another question is the EL running points of electric dizzy? (I thought it was running points, but the super cheap guy seemed to think different, not sure if I'm wrong).

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Just had a look at the old ingition coil thats still bolted to the car... it looks corroded and wet and not in a good state... question is... How do i get to it? I've jacked the car up and it's looking like i'll have to take the inlet manifold off too :evil:

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Lesson number one...don't spray the engine bay with pressure water...it could mean death to the electricals even if they are "water proofed". You may also inadvertly killed the TFI module that sits on the side of the distributor, they don't like moisture at all...if there is a bit of a crack and water gets in, it's pretty much dead. Had that issue with my EL during wet conditions...car would stutter and die until it dries up a little then drives like a b**ch.

To get to the distributor, remove the air box assembly...from the Throttle body (TB) to the air snorkel. It will give you enough room to fit your hand underneath the broad band inlet manifold (BBM). From there just unplug the leads, then unclip the cap and lift it up. Put the new one in and plug leads back in. Just make sure the leads are in the right location when you plug them back in. So labelling is the best way unless you start from scratch.

Good luck.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Ends up being the ignition coil. Had to buy a repco brand coil, should i be looking at replacing the whole ignition system sometime in the near future with genuine Bocshe?

The coil actually ended up looking pretty much perfect, so it must of just died coincidentally, unless water shorted it out. Thankfully the TFI is all good, i think drying it out and WD-40ing it for 2 days helped a lot.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

splosh123 wrote:
Ends up being the ignition coil. Had to buy a repco brand coil, should i be looking at replacing the whole ignition system sometime in the near future with genuine Bocshe?

The coil actually ended up looking pretty much perfect, so it must of just died coincidentally, unless water shorted it out. Thankfully the TFI is all good, i think drying it out and WD-40ing it for 2 days helped a lot.

if you can get your hands on some Iso Propyl alcohol, it will dry out electrical parts quickly if it has moisture in it. Spray it on and watch it dry up in minutes. Good for electronics. Used it on my phone once when someone spilt a drink on it.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next