Fordmods Logo

EL to XH 6cyl conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EL to XH 6cyl conversion
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XH Falcon

TAS, Australia

Gday all im in the middle of chucking an EL motor in my XH and have a few questions i thought someone may be able to answer. Cut a long story short the EL motor came out of an EF sedan, Iv got it out of the ef and am in the process of removing the XH motor, so where im stuck is iv heard that the left engine mount needs modifying, and the alternator?? and the plugs iv heard are also different, if they are how would i work around it? Both are 6 cyl auto. and what about the powersteer hoses do i modify to suit or get EL hoses? and the manifold iv heard also will be a drama? oh and the accelerater cable needs changing? the xh has factory cruise but the ef sedan doesnt. will i need an el cable or should i re-use the ef 1? i think iv covered all my problems i think id really appreciate any info. id appreciate any info cheers guys. il post a photo of her frying 2 back tyres when shes done lol

Post subject: Re: EL to XH 6cyl conversion
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

They're the same motor and same engine bay.

XG you have different offsets.

Just throw in the EL engine and retain all the XH log manifold or convert it to BBM

Not, the tensioner is different on an XH non-XR and the XH (XR) is a standard EF/EL type.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

Oh right thanks m8, what is a bbm exactly? iv been reading up on here about them but not entirely sure.. is a bbm an au manifold?? do you think all the electrical plugs will fit with no hassle.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Just use the XH fittings, they'll bolt upto the long engine.

If the EL engine was in an EF, then the dissy was removed to fit the Syncronizer in the EF.
The good thing is if it is an EL engine, It should have the correct timing cover to suit the dissy for setting up.

If you have all the EL parts then Yes, it'll all plug up, providing you have installed the log manifold.

BBM is Broad band Manifold that is standard on all EF, EL and AU engines.

Its that raised manifold that looks like a group of snails.
It does fit XH's and clears the bonnet, but requires relocation of the AC and changing the belt tensioner.
Youll also need to modify the engine wiring if you fit a BBM (or) use the entire EL engine wiring.

In short, throw the 'newer' engine in and bolt on all the existing XH stuff and all will be well.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

oh beeauty thanks helps alot, so il bolt up the XH manifold n everything, it had a blown head gasket and when i took of the air cover water n oil p****d out the manifold/throttle body? will this wreck the new motor if theres any crap left in the original fuel/air system? there was water/oil come from the fuel lines or the pump.?? or should i jus fill her up with fuel n jus turn the motor over til it is gone?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]