EL wagon sluggish 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: EL wagon sluggish
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 Falcon Futura Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

I hope this isn't something already covered somewhere coz I've spent quite a while looking:

My ol' EL wagon doesn't seem to have the power she should and the idle isn't perfect. I have replaced leads, plugs, rotor and cap. Then I cleaned the throttle body and PCV valve and today I reset the ECU after all of these changes. These all helped, she does run better than when I bought her, but for the specs of the engine I figure she should pull away better and at least be able to get a wheel spinning (that's right, I can't get her to smoke 'em up).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Pete.

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA falcon

SA, Australia

take some unnecesary weight off lol, thats prob no help but i dnt anything else. mayb its just getting old.

Real Men Smoke Rubber

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

how many klms has it done? has it been thrashed a lot? these might contribute, the motor is probably just tired

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:36 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

She's done 220,000 and I'm pretty sure she hasn't been thrashed because the history kinda says it was a business car and a family car. The only worrying thing is that the oil smells a bit burnt, but I think this might be the rings simply being a bit old.

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8 & 06 4x4 Bravo

VIC, Australia

Is it Auto? Wagons are a bit slower then sedans..

I've just put a rebuilt Engine in my EF & you still have to rev it & drop the Clutch to get the wheels to spin..

Have you ran it next to another E series wagon to see if its noticably slower?

'04 BA XR8
Winter White, 5 Speed Manual, Sports Leather, Premium Sound, 2 1/2" Cat Back Exh - no rear Mufflers, Lowered SL/SSL, 20's, Underdrives, BF Typhoon Rear Spoiler, GT Steering Wheel, etc.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

mmm. Dads eb wont spin s**t from a standing start, nor does my car unless i drop it from 4 grand upwards (pointless IMO)

only thing for u to do is look at oxy sensor (wont do s**t but u have changed everything else), and check the timing. i'd also have a look at the cat converter and general condition of the exhaust. some extractors, a good cat back, cheap regrind and bit more timing with good fuel should see it smoke em (or it in your case, assuming single spinner)

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Well, knowing that, I don't think it's worth bothering with anything else until I can afford the extractors etc.

cheersdude: Yes it's an auto, if I had've known they don't take off very well, I would've bought a commonwhore wagon. Oh well, I'd best be happy with it, there's no point in whinging.

Thanks guys.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

Buy a compression tester and see if the engine is still holding compression. If its is, then you know why it is lacking power.

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA falcon

SA, Australia

pump up your tyres more and u shuld get sum wheel spin

Real Men Smoke Rubber

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

UPDATE:

I took it up arthur's seat (not many of you'll know where or what this is) which is a decent hill climb and I really had to push it to get it up there, then at the top, it overheated, DAMN!!
On an average freeway onramp, I have to floor it to make it get to 100 by the time the ramp ends.

I'm now thinkin headgasket, because when you rev it or turn it off with the radiator cap off, it spits out half a litre of water.

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

How many kms on engine? Might be better off putting a reco engine in her.

'04 BA XR8
Winter White, 5 Speed Manual, Sports Leather, Premium Sound, 2 1/2" Cat Back Exh - no rear Mufflers, Lowered SL/SSL, 20's, Underdrives, BF Typhoon Rear Spoiler, GT Steering Wheel, etc.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

She's done 220,000. I'm takin it down to UltraTune on monday to get the water tested for hydrocarbons (AKA sniffed), if that returns negative I'll get the cat checked and get extractors, if the cat's fine, I'll get the diagnostic done to see if the ECU knows ehats wrong.

What a pain in the a***!

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

lol only way i can get my friends EF to smoke up (unless the roads wet or i drop it into Drive from 4k revs (completely f**k the transmission, dont do it)

Is to floor it with the steerining on full lock, with a little mommentum (a doughnut). But this is acievable in any car and is due to traction loss rather than engine power lol.

Is the wagon manual or auto? if its manual than thats just sad, any manyual car should be able to smoke without to much trouble.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

68stang wrote:
Is the wagon manual or auto?

I asked the same question & he said its auto.

'04 BA XR8

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

seeing as its a wagon check to see if its a LSD, as alot of wagons had LSD diffs in them.

if not should be able to smoke em up pretty easy, all the sedans I have driven EF-AU's smoke up easy enough even on LPG.

Only car I ever had trouble with was my EA wagon I had years ago cos yep was LSD and that was a 5 speed.. Was rather impressive in the wet tho.... :)

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next