380rwkw and a strong driveline FTW.

he only has 10k to spend

haha dooo ittt.

if you got 10k to spend, go Forced induction

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

7k or less for a typhoon motor and box, 2k for an ECU fitted and tuned leaves 1k for the tailshaft and gearbox crossmember.

DIY of course.

To pay someone to do it I have NFI what the cost would get to.

If I was ever gonna turbo something and looking to get 300+rwkw in an EA-AU I wouldnt bother with a SOHC motor.

BF2 complete turbo engines ftw.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Dansedgli wrote:
7k or less for a typhoon motor and box, 2k for an ECU fitted and tuned leaves 1k for the tailshaft and gearbox crossmember.

DIY of course.

To pay someone to do it I have NFI what the cost would get to.

If I was ever gonna turbo something and looking to get 300+rwkw in an EA-AU I wouldnt bother with a SOHC motor.

BF2 complete turbo engines ftw.

don't over simplify things. It's never that easy and it always cost more then you think it will.

so how are you going to keep the engine cool enough. exhuast system?

and 2k for an ECU wired in and tuned? so you have have a $1200 to $1700 ecu that leaves $800 to $300 for fitting and tuning?? good luck

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

don't over simplify things. It's never that easy and it always cost more then you think it will

Things arent always more complicated than they seem.

tickford_6 wrote:

so how are you going to keep the engine cool enough.

EL radiator.

tickford_6 wrote:
exhuast system?

He had one already didnt he? Granted a 2.5 inch exhaust wont be the most awesome thing but wont cost much to join to the turbo.

tickford_6 wrote:
and 2k for an ECU wired in and tuned? so you have have a $1200 to $1700 ecu that leaves $800 to $300 for fitting and tuning?? good luck

Bresciani quoted me $1800 to fit and tune a microtech.

Lets face it, wiring in an ECU isnt hard. There are base maps on the EMS site. EMS Stinger + wiring in at home + a free base map and a little bit of messing around would get it running. A dyno tune to get it right shouldnt cost more than $800.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Dansedgli wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

don't over simplify things. It's never that easy and it always cost more then you think it will

Things arent always more complicated than they seem.

tickford_6 wrote:

so how are you going to keep the engine cool enough.

EL radiator.

tickford_6 wrote:
exhuast system?

He had one already didnt he? Granted a 2.5 inch exhaust wont be the most awesome thing but wont cost much to join to the turbo.

tickford_6 wrote:

Bresciani quoted me $1800 to fit and tune a microtech.

Lets face it, wiring in an ECU isnt hard. There are base maps on the EMS site. EMS Stinger + wiring in at home + a free base map and a little bit of messing around would get it running. A dyno tune to get it right shouldnt cost more than $800.

so now the exhaust wont cost much. how much is not much and where is money going to come from. you already spent the whole 10k in the last post

yeah wiring in an ECU isn't hard but it still takes time to do it neatly. and as for tuning. you dont get much for a few hundred dollars. Sure you get peak power number and drives ok but it's hardly a good tune. it takes days to get tune right.

but i guess you get what you pay for and if you're happy with a cheap job, go for it.

so you are telling me you would trust an old el EL radiator to keep a new typhoon engine cool with out fail. At the rate thoses things are failing these days it's a big gamble

In this case it is more complicated then you made it out to be.
the sump doesn't fit the sub frame. that will cost money to get around.

the engine is to tall for the bonnet to close properly, how much more time and money is going to take to get around that?

the stock typhoon intercooler setup wont bolt to an EL so there is going to be some custom work to make that fit even if you do use the typhoon core

Last edited by tickford_6 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Assumptions are gay but lets go with it.

tickford_6 wrote:

so now the exhaust wont cost much. how much is not much and where is money going to come from. you already spent the whole 10k in the last post

He said 10-12k so he should be covered.

tickford_6 wrote:
yeah wiring in an ECU isn't hard but it still takes time to do it neatly. and as for tuning. you dont get much for a few hundred dollars. Sure you get peak power number and drives ok but it's hardly a good tune. it takes days to get tune right.

Time is free for the DIY'er. The tune in my EB was a done in a few hours and drove fine.

tickford_6 wrote:
so you are telling me you would trust an old el EL radiator to keep a new typhoon engine cool with out fail. At the rate thoses things are failing these days it's a big gamble .

If you can assume its on old EL radiator, we can just as easy assume it was replaced 3 weeks ago with a fancy new PWR one. :roll:

tickford_6 wrote:
In this case it is more complicated then you made it out to be.
the sump doesn't the sub frame. that will cost money to get around.

the engine is to tall for the bonnet to close properly, how much more time and money is going to take to get around that?

if he is a DIY'er then crossmember mods wont cost a thing assuming he has a welder as every good DIY'er does. Lots of people have done it to fit AU engines. Sure it probably isnt legal but WGAF. They are E series, if he gets defected he can get another one.

Cutting a hole in a bonnet is easy as well. Fitting a buldge costs $100 and takes time to fit but he is a DIY'er so that wont cost much either.

tickford_6 wrote:
the stock typhoon intercooler setup wont bolt to an EL so there is going to be some custom work to make that fit even if you do use the typhoon core
:roll:

Been on ebay lately? Intercooler and piping and DIY welding skills will have nice new intercooler fitted for less than $300 which will fit into his $2k buffer.

This is assuming an F6 motor and box can be had for $7k, I just made that figure up. A XR6T setup from a BF onwards will be just as good and cheaper.

I remember being told I needed 10K just to fit an NA BA motor into my EA and by the time I get it back from the workshop it will have cost me under $3k.

The internet is great but it seems if you want to do something different it always costs 11ty billion dollars or is impossible.

I wont reply to this thread again so say what you will. I bet this dude doesnt have a 10-12K budget anyways so we probably shouldnt even bother arguing over it.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dude no one saidd it's imposimble or will cost 11mil to do it.

all i said is you made it seem overly simple.

and now you dismiss major defects as if they don't mater.

lets say some one does it your way. cut sub frame and no mod plate.
he is in a major crash and some ones dies. Cops find the car has back yard modifications to major structual parts of the car.

what do you think happens nexts????????????

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

willithehillbilly wrote:
the main thing is i want to keep it street legal.

Looks like the sub frame hack mod is out

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

he is in a major crash and some ones dies. Cops find the car has back yard modifications to major structual parts of the car.

If he cant do it properly he shouldn't try.

Its not rocket science.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
willithehillbilly wrote:
the main thing is i want to keep it street legal.

Looks like the sub frame hack mod is out

So is the turbo conversion and any mods that alter his emissions.

He should ditch the E series and get a fast car with his extra cash. Sell the EL and use his 10-12k and get something fast from the factory.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

It really comes down to how much you can do yourself.

A typhoon motor and box will be a stretch at 10 grand if you cant't do it yourself, though even if it costed near on 15 it wouldn't be too hard to justify it.

For 10 grand and not doing the work yourself, probably a good rebuild with good internals with a lower comp + turbo would see 12k out safely and enough power to get excited.

It also depends how legal you want it too.

Either that or spend the dosh upgrading to upgrade to an XR6T. With the power they have you should be satisfied, if the urge for more came you could get your fix very cheaply with a flash tune/exhaust.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Dansedgli wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

If he cant do it properly he shouldn't try.

Its not rocket science.

you're the one suggesting short cuts.

and you've just hit the nail on the head.. IF YOU CANT DO IT PROPERLY DONT TRY. that throws your way out the window

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I wasnt suggesting shortcuts. Just because it can be done at home doesnt mean it has to be half a***.

Whats the difference between someone competent doing it themself vs someone competent doing it in a workshop? Both can get an engineers opinion pretty easily.

I still reckon it can be done for $10k but hey what I do I know. I dont work on cars full time Im just an accountant.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

You C*** are ODing.

Sell EL. Buy BA XR6T. Is it that hard?

1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Resprayed|microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Wade turbo cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 conversion|Built bottom end|10.6@125MPHi

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

buy 50 EA Falcons and give the EL to me.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next