Fordmods Logo

el xr6 $10k 2 spend! any ideas? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: el xr6 $10k 2 spend! any ideas?
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

hi all
im looking to spend $10k maybe $12k on el xr6 and was just wondering if anyone has spent approx the same? what to expect for $$$$.
power gain? reliability? engineered?
its already got pacey comps, 2.5 inch and k&n panel. Wouldnt call myself a leadfoot but enjoy the occasional squirt..... jus want more squirt!
appreciate any help.
cheers

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

If you want moderate power and keep it NA you could fit shorter diff gearing to 3.7 lsd, then stage 3 head & cam from Crescent motorsport (sponsor here), and aftermarket ecu & tuning..... should have some change from $4000 depending how much you can do yourself.

If you want real power, then turbo it, and your gonna need more than 5k if you want it done properly (reliable & roadworthy), but all depends if how much boost you want to run as i believe your can run around 7psi safely on a stock motor & depends if you want a "drive in drive out" or you can do some stuff yourself.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Typhoon motor + box.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF / TERRITORY

NSW, Australia

Turbo it.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
If you want moderate power and keep it NA you could fit shorter diff gearing to 3.7 lsd, then stage 3 head & cam from Crescent motorsport (sponsor here), and aftermarket ecu & tuning..... should have some change from $4000 depending how much you can do yourself.

If you want real power, then turbo it, and your gonna need more than 5k if you want it done properly (reliable & roadworthy), but all depends if how much boost you want to run as i believe your can run around 7psi safely on a stock motor & depends if you want a "drive in drive out" or you can do some stuff yourself.

i want real power! shortening diff ratio effect long distance travellig? wat about supercharger? yeah i would like to spend maybe $10k under bonnet and spending a month or 2 in a workshop wouldnt be a problem for me. the main thing is i want to keep it street legal.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

:idea: You could save the 10g's & use it as deposit when you trade-in the EL for the all new orion!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

willithehillbilly wrote:

i want real power! shortening diff ratio effect long distance travelling?

yeah will rev a bit higher than before at any given speed. But thats nothing, my car has 3.7's and it does 2400rpm @ 100km but highway fuel consumption has only gone up half a litre per 100km's

You say you want real power, what kind of performance are you looking for? 400m times for instance?

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

maybe 13's? wat kind of power could i expect spending that kind of money? i been reading 150kw 14s wit only spending $2.5k so maybe low 13's? 190-200rwkw??

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

hmm, 190kw is a bit out of range for the NA six unless its very heavily modidied. And im not talking about JMM dynos either

But you should easily make that figure with 5psi of boost with stock internals.

Maybe you should spend the money on a BA XR6t ?

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AUIII XR6 HP

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Not dissin the el but if i wanted to spend that much on upgrades, id upgrade the car. As everybody knows, you never get your money back from mods. Sell the el and upgrade to an au/ba. You'll get something with more power, better handling and better resale. Just my thought though.

PACEMAKER 4480, SS H/F CAT, 2.5" REDBACK, INTAKE PIPING, K&N PANEL, PIONEER TV

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

well you already have the zorst mods, so next its cam and capa flash tune. this should see you towards 130-140 rwkws on a reliable dyno with a good tune. Now you need to see to the whoa to stop the go. GET GOOD BRAKES!!!! important street or track. slotted fronts and vented rears good for mostly high perf street. track work requires an upgrade in size. which is a specialty arrangement.

once you have some engine and brake mods, get your driveline done. If its an auto you have two options.

either keep the auto and get a shift kit, trans cooler, and 3.7:1 lsd ratio (or higher~~~ up to 4.11:1)

failing that get a T-5 5 speed manual conversion with a 3.45:1 lsd diff. this costs a load more, but results in more RWKW than the auto.

You need to make sure that once you have added power to the motor that a) you can stop it, and b) you can go around corners with it.

Dont forget a bit of suspension work!! wider tyres with better silica compound, stiffer than stock suspension ( stockers are massively under damped), larger brakes can make up several seconds around a track. without touching the motor at all.

The fords are a great mod car because of all the different avenues available to each particular modder.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:46 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF / TERRITORY

NSW, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
well you already have the zorst mods, so next its cam and capa flash tune. this should see you towards 130-140 rwkws on a reliable dyno with a good tune. Now you need to see to the whoa to stop the go. GET GOOD BRAKES!!!! important street or track. slotted fronts and vented rears good for mostly high perf street. track work requires an upgrade in size. which is a specialty arrangement.

once you have some engine and brake mods, get your driveline done. If its an auto you have two options.

either keep the auto and get a shift kit, trans cooler, and 3.7:1 lsd ratio (or higher~~~ up to 4.11:1)

failing that get a T-5 5 speed manual conversion with a 3.45:1 lsd diff. this costs a load more, but results in more RWKW than the auto.

You need to make sure that once you have added power to the motor that a) you can stop it, and b) you can go around corners with it.

Dont forget a bit of suspension work!! wider tyres with better silica compound, stiffer than stock suspension ( stockers are massively under damped), larger brakes can make up several seconds around a track. without touching the motor at all.

The fords are a great mod car because of all the different avenues available to each particular modder.

well thats a good step by step mods...

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Typhoon motor + box.

Do this ^^^

380rwkw and a strong driveline FTW.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Dansedgli wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:
Typhoon motor + box.

Do this ^^^

380rwkw and a strong driveline FTW.

he only has 10k to spend

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII

NSW, Australia

Agreeing with the guy who suggested a t5, makes the car feel alive :P. Modifications.........my last dyno run was fairly average, 119.4kw, combination of that and the 5 speed makes for a pretty decent car, keeping in mind, the xr6 will have a higher diff ratio, AND come out standard with more power than mine :P. Buy it, drive it, then decide. 119.4 does the trick for me and my daily driver.....that xr6 with extractors as it is might do the trick for you :D

Back in an E series!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next