Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 engine into NC Fairlane 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EL XR6 engine into NC Fairlane
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 1322

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Hey, we might be putting an EL XR6 engine into my dad's NC Fairlane. It is a series one model without smartlock, and is currently fitted with an EF engine. Now I dont have a problem with physically fitting the engine, I know it will bolt straight in the same way as the EF motor does. But I've got a few questions:

Since the NC is a series 1, and no series 1 XR6 existed, it runs a standard ECU. Is this going to operate the XR6 engine reasonably well?

We are considering keeping the log manifold, and still running the serpentine belt, are there any ways to do this? As I beleve the belt runs through where the intake pipe would be.

If we do run the bbm, is there any way to hook up the cruise control? as I know the throttle body is in a very different spot, if it's not too hard to run the cruise control, I know it will be fairly straight forward to run the bbm.

I know we could fit an entire NC series II loom and run the EL XR6 ECU, which is the way I'd prefer to do it, but dad doesnt sound too keen on shelling out more money for extra wiring looms, or going to the effort of changing them.

Cheers, Gab
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 engine into NC Fairlane
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
Hey, we might be putting an EL XR6 engine into my dad's NC Fairlane. It is a series one model without smartlock, and is currently fitted with an EF engine. Now I dont have a problem with physically fitting the engine, I know it will bolt straight in the same way as the EF motor does. But I've got a few questions:



Gab1 wrote:
Since the NC is a series 1, and no series 1 XR6 existed, it runs a standard ECU. Is this going to operate the XR6 engine reasonably well?


This all depends on your next question.

Gab1 wrote:
We are considering keeping the log manifold, and still running the serpentine belt, are there any ways to do this? As I beleve the belt runs through where the intake pipe would be.


To be honest, I wouldn't bother putting in the EL XR engine without the BBM. The mid range torque increase with the BBM fitted compared to the log is huge, and the increase in general drive-ability is well worth the effort.

As to your question, yes you can retain the serpentine belt setup, and use a log manifold. You will need to source a belt tensioner from an XH Ute (non XR6) which came from the factory this way.

If we do run the bbm, is there any way to hook up the cruise control? as I know the throttle body is in a very different spot, if it's not too hard to run the cruise control, I know it will be fairly straight forward to run the bbm.

Gab1 wrote:
I know we could fit an entire NC series II loom and run the EL XR6 ECU, which is the way I'd prefer to do it, but dad doesnt sound too keen on shelling out more money for extra wiring looms, or going to the effort of changing them.


As the series one has the separate auto computer, you could use the resistor trick on the EL XR6 ECU as used for manual conversions. You would need to add the required pins to the current ECU plug. In addition, you would need to add the pins for the BBM Control, and smartlock and run a smartlock bypass or J3 chip.

Fitting the EL XR6 Engine without the XR ECU will see either, no increase in power, or a small increase. Either way you will always be running rich. One of the main benefits of the EL XR6 Auto ECU is the much much better auto mapping, which in your situation, will be difficult to take advantage of.

You could add all the auto pinouts to the ECU and then build a small loom to interface with the stand alone auto loom. It is a lot of work, but has been done successfully before.

Gab1 wrote:
Cheers, Gab


I hope that helps.

Cheers
BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:02 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names