Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 Engine Recondition Time (Need to modify aswell)(help) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL XR6 Engine Recondition Time (Need to modify aswell)(help)
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Ever since I bought my car (4 yrs back) it was burning oil, and wasn’t running so smoothly.
Now my car is really sick, and is waiting for the next available bed at the mechanics for its surgery.

What I want from you guys with knowledge and experience is to help me and tell me what I can do to make my XR go fast. I will not add a supercharger or a turbine.
I really don’t know many places that modify bits and pieces and what to do. Ive read a lot of topics in the past but that’s about it,

So like upgrading my cam, what stage, and from where.
Head porting.
Anything from inside the motor I can change while its out.

Ect ect.

Thanks.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

maybe get some head work done, some mild porting and polishing, and a cam also, if its just your head coming off, due to burning oil, maybe get some shaved of the head ... (just going on what i've been reading here!!)

Sommer Girl ..

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

the hole engine is coming out and getting stripped.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Maybe leave it for someone else to reply who knows more then!!! (well than me!)

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If the whole engine is coming out, i hope your getting new rings, bearings & so on done on the bottom end. It's worth it while it's out.

The std bottom ends are reasonably tough, as long as you don't force feed the Ford I6. I'd be using ACL bearings & rings. Go for a JP High Volume oil pump. Get the bores cleaned up. Maybe deck the block a bit so not as much needs to come off the head to raise the compression ratio. A new balancer wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Head work, extractors & cam really get these falcon's moving. Cam will need to be matched to how far you take the head & exhaust. Not to mention what trans you have, eg Auto or Manual.

Next time the head is off my EB ( i've faced the fact that if i own the car as long as i anticipate, it will need to be off again sometime ) i'm going to get it shaved to bump the comp upto around 9.5:1, a tad higher than xr6. Maybe even a port & polish job as well. I run LPG so it will be fine, but need to retain the possibility of running on petrol if needed.

Mods to the head & cam need to reflect the fuel your going to run. Petrol or LPG? Dual fuel?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Get the block taken to next oversize and use ACL race pistons to bring the compression up,
have the deck skimmed to put the pistons 13thou down the bore and use a genuine AU head gasket that will give about 35thou piston to head clearence, wich if you still to the stock rev limmit will be just about perfect.

Raising the compresion using high comp pistons save you from taking to much off the head and keeps you safe from timming chain length issues.
Aim for about 10:1 compression. I had slightly over that and had no real issues.

for the cam any of the milder ones like the WADE stg2 the RPD rspec1 (if you can find one) one of the smaller grinds from crowcams or surecam.
All of those cams will get you to about 140 to 150 RWKW with a manual gearbox (that will get well into the 14sec zone at the strip)

as for the head, de-shrouding the valves and gasket matching on the intake side is enough to get you to 150RWKW gasket matching the exhaust side is not needed if you extractors are larger than the port.

If you can find someone who does falcon heads basicly give them a dollar figure you want to spend on it and let them do what they can for that much.

get a powerbond ballancer (they do a nice street strip one for the EL)
if it's a manual yella terra do a nice light weight billet steel flywheel (note you'll need to use a V8 clutch, i used an AU exedy sportstuff clutch with mine)
If it's an auto get a high stall torque converter.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ALPz, get as much head work as you can afford and the biggest cam you can find, because in no time u will get used to the power and want even more, so if ur serious about making your falcon fast, do it properly the 1st time round otherwise you will regret it!

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No issues @ 10:1 comp? Running Premium or LPG?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ToranaGuy wrote:
No issues @ 10:1 comp? Running Premium or LPG?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

95 octane premo. at the time it was first built we didn't have 98octane here.

it had a slight rattle in the mid range with about 40% to 60% throttle. but at WOT it was perfect. Had it been an EL it would have been fine as i could have dropped a few degrees out, but you can't with an EF,

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks for the replies people.
yeah my car currently is a Manual Petrol. will convert to LPG when shes back on the road.

the engine will come out in about 2 weeks time, so just getting ideas. and on my spare time try to call around and get prices.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ALPz wrote:
thanks for the replies people.
yeah my car currently is a Manual Petrol. will convert to LPG when shes back on the road.

the engine will come out in about 2 weeks time, so just getting ideas. and on my spare time try to call around and get prices.

Being a manual will give you a little more freedom with cam choice. :D

In regards to converting to LPG. If you can afford to, go for Gas Injection. With the grant around now, it isn't so expensive. I've got a Gas Injection setup in my EB, and just recently got my hands on the tuning hardware & software, very cool to play with, good economy, goes like s**t off a stick. But i need a bigger set of injectors than what it's currently running if i wanna do cam & head work.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

helloooo

can people tell me how much it cost them to get porting and balancing done, and from which work shop ?

i got a price from an engineering place to port my head around $500-600

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

im paying about $950 for porting but its heavy port work. should flow around 400hp.

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

flowing 400 hey! hope you have a serious cam that can move some volume! what specs will you be running?

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont ED

NSW, Australia

excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is porting, and how does it increase hp

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next