Fordmods Logo

el XR6 finally getting modded,head question?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: el XR6 finally getting modded,head question??
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so whan my tax money comes the heads coming off the xr as its leaking oil around the rubber gasket at the front,and it needs new valve stem seals and big valve springs for the cam,its gonna have the crow stage 3 thrown in with au gasket,and if ive got enough manoey left over i'll bolt the 3.9 gears iv got to my centre n get it all set up nice!my question is...
is it worth me match porting and polishing the intake and exhaust ports??
or is that really a waste of time??

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

I don't think these heads need much on the port side as they're pretty big as standard, bowl work is definately the way to go.
When i done the head on my EF i ripped into the bowls, but just ran down the ports to clean them up and take any bits of casting off them.... The gains were excellent, i noticed more gain from that than i did with cam and exhaust which i'd done previously.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Theres no need to enlarge the ports, all u need is a clean up & grind of a portion of the valve guide & sharp bends on the short side radius. thats all!

Don't forget a multi-angle valve job. you'll be surprise of the end results.

Got carried away with a DIY port job way back, that it was only good making power near the red line, really suck down low. flat line til 4700rpm, which wasn't practical for every day driving. :(

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

multi angle valve job?how will this be a gain,and what exactly should i be doing to the bowls??,just smoothing and polishing??or more?

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmmmm if you have no idea about port work then i'd be paying someone mate, it's not an easy thing to tackle.
You'll also need a decent die grinder and a lot of bits to do the job, they become very expensive.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im a mechanic i have access to a die grinder and lots of bits,just i thaught the bowls on the ef/els were good??i'd be getting the valve seats cut at the local engine machine shop,but i want more detail about the bowl work

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I never took any pics of mine, but then i didn't end up doing the job i wanted as i ran out of time and needed more bits.
I think there are a lot of guys who've done theirs and took pics so hopefully you can get an idea.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
im a mechanic i have access to a die grinder and lots of bits,just i thaught the bowls on the ef/els were good??i'd be getting the valve seats cut at the local engine machine shop,but i want more detail about the bowl work
bowl work refers to removing restriction around the valve pocket. the narrow part above the valve seat. the throat should be around 80% of the valve diameter.

link to multi-angle valve job. read the "valve job process"

http://www.eddiesvalvegrinding.com/valve-grinding.htm

Attachments:
head job.jpg
head job.jpg [ 25.42 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's a pretty spot on diagram, pretty much what i did with mine.
It's not easy though, i'd grab an old head and have a practice first, just remember to keep the grinder moving, otherwise you end up with deep spots and it's hard to get them out.
You'll know what i mean when you have a crack at it, you'll get better with practice just like anything else.
I'm dying to do the heads on my Windsor but don't want the car off the road too long, and when doing porting i take my time and do a nice job.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

you can get deep cuts if you don't brace your arms. gone throught 2x 4.1 crossflow to get it near right. when there were uneven areas, I use epoxy to fill in & even out all the ports. the stuff you use on metal. :P

its a shame I when to large with the port work.

one thing, don't worry about polishing the intake port side. waste of time & money.

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im pretty handy with the die grinder,its almost my favorite tool,so i'll have a crack,cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]