Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms) 

 

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 1339

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

Location: Worrigee
NSW, Australia

Ok, so about 50,000 kms ago, I replaced the headkgasket in the old girl.

Now it's leaking again...coolant leaking down behind the exhaust manifold and hints of oil in the coolant. I suspect it's due to me giving it a bit of a flogging recently

Last time I replaced it, I only used a standard EL gasket. This time I want to use the equivalent METAL gasket.

Which one should I be looking for? I had a look on ebay, not sure if any of the ones on there are metal, they dont look like it.

If I go to Repco or similar, do I ask for an AU gasket? Or EL? If AU, which year/model do I ask for? And I assume I also need to use AU head bolts if I use the AU gasket?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Before you plan on pulling apart the engine, is the car an auto? If it is, the radiator might be busted leaking some transmission coolant into the coolant bottle. Also water leaking from the exhaust could also be from Welsh plugs.

AU gaskets can be bought from Ford, not sure if you can get aftermaket MLS ones since I never really had a look. Just ask for an AU head gasket...if you ask for an EL one they will probably give you a composite as per computer. You will need new head bolts, either EL or AU ones will do...if you buy from Ford, I think they only sell the AU bolts, which will fit just fine. The only difference between the head gasket when installing is torque requirements. Since AU ones are thinner, the bolts will be on a bit tighter.

Giving it a flogging every now and then shouldn't really kill the head gasket...unless you've been doing it while it is cold or even with low coolant.

When you pull the head back out, get the head rechecked as you should but also the block, make sure it is flat.

Good luck with that.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3363

Joined: 27th Dec 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

Location: G town
VIC, Australia

mine was done 4 years ago and has travelled 120,000+ with no probs....used a regular gaskit too...

longevity has little to do with the gaskit and all to do with quality workmanship....head needs to be checked thoroughly for corrosion, cracks, hardness (very important), straightness then surfaced properly...deck needs to cleaned, checked for straightness and corrosion....new head bolts are a must and correct torquing sequence followed....cooling system must be kept in top condition, lack of inhibitor leads to bad and rapid corrosion...

by all means use a quality gaskit, but it doesnt HAVE to be a MLS

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:46 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5587

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
Now it's leaking again...coolant leaking down behind the exhaust manifold and hints of oil in the coolant.
Was this similar to the first time, Dave.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 1339

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

Location: Worrigee
NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
Now it's leaking again...coolant leaking down behind the exhaust manifold and hints of oil in the coolant.
Was this similar to the first time, Dave.


Hey Ray...haven't seen you for a while...I haven't been on the forums in ages.

Yea similar to the last time...different spot though...I've given the car a bit of a flogging recently...more than I probably should have...I suspect that may not have helped. I knew I should have gone the metal gasket first time round.

Just need to make sure I get a metal one this time...hence why I was asking which one I need to get.

gogetta wrote:
mine was done 4 years ago and has travelled 120,000+ with no probs....used a regular gaskit too...

longevity has little to do with the gaskit and all to do with quality workmanship....head needs to be checked thoroughly for corrosion, cracks, hardness (very important), straightness then surfaced properly...deck needs to cleaned, checked for straightness and corrosion....new head bolts are a must and correct torquing sequence followed....cooling system must be kept in top condition, lack of inhibitor leads to bad and rapid corrosion...

by all means use a quality gaskit, but it doesnt HAVE to be a MLS


Yea I'm quite confident I did a thorough job last time...made sure everything was 100% before putting it back together.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:03 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 54

Posts: 218

Joined: 12th Jun 2005

Location: hobart
TAS, Australia

repco etc only do compisite and copper, you need the au mls from ford

 

_________________

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Get the head machined then do a proper tightening of the head with new bolts. also tighten it in the proper sequence and re-tighten it a couple of thousand k's when the bolts have stretched.

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 1339

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

Location: Worrigee
NSW, Australia

Slick wrote:
Get the head machined then do a proper tightening of the head with new bolts. also tighten it in the proper sequence and re-tighten it a couple of thousand k's when the bolts have stretched.


Did all that last time (except retighten after a few thousand k's...didn't realise that was something that was a good idea to do).
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:17 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5587

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
Yea similar to the last time...different spot though...I've given the car a bit of a flogging recently...more than I probably should have...I suspect that may not have helped. I knew I should have gone the metal gasket first time round. Just need to make sure I get a metal one this time...hence why I was asking which one I need to get.
Yes, it's been a while. Agree with the comments on prep work mentioned in this thread - this is even more important if you use an MLS gasket. This may've had a bearing on this reoccurence.
I'd say check VERY closely how the water ports clean up on the exhaust side of the head after machining - as mentioned, if badly corroded, there's not too much distance to the block side.
And of course, check the block surface very thoroughly as well.
I used a Durapro gasket and bolts from Everlast (Flinders) - nearly 3 yrs on, no probs. My original cause was a fatigued headbolt sheared off.
Be a good opportunity to ditch the hybrid head and go for an earlier head :mrgreen: .

EDIT:
Slick wrote:
re-tighten it a couple of thousand k's when the bolts have stretched.
the_scotsman wrote:
Did all that last time (except retighten after a few thousand k's...didn't realise that was something that was a good idea to do).
It's an absolute bad idea - these headbolts are TTY - torque to yield.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 1339

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

Location: Worrigee
NSW, Australia

Yea...trust me, I made very sure everything was perfect before doing it last time...I know the importance of everything needing to be spot on.

There's no corrosion on the head at all, it's tip top. I also checked the block face for any warping/defects and it was also 100%.

So the Durapro wasn't an MLS?

lol...not enough cash to go changing heads...whats the benefits of having a non-hybrid head anyways? Apart from finding an aftermarket cam?

snap0964 wrote:
EDIT:
Slick wrote:
re-tighten it a couple of thousand k's when the bolts have stretched.
the_scotsman wrote:
Did all that last time (except retighten after a few thousand k's...didn't realise that was something that was a good idea to do).

It's an absolute bad idea - these headbolts are TTY - torque to yield.


Yea that's the impression I was under...not to touch them once they're torqued up as they're TTY.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:32 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5587

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
So the Durapro wasn't an MLS?
Nah, just composite. Everlast went over to them as there were a lot of issues with the monotorques.
the_scotsman wrote:
lol...not enough cash to go changing heads...whats the benefits of having a non-hybrid head anyways? Apart from finding an aftermarket cam?
:wink:
the_scotsman wrote:
Yea that's the impression I was under...not to touch them once they're torqued up as they're TTY.
Retorquing will most likely cause them to fatigue over time. If the specs that come with bolts said to do it, then we'd all be doing it - if you buy your bolts from a reconditioner/machine shop, simply ask them, and I think you'll get the same reply.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 1339

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

Location: Worrigee
NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Nah, just composite. Everlast went over to them as there were a lot of issues with the monotorques.

I'm sure that's what is in mine atm..Monotorque


You don't have any spare Fairmont clusters lying around do you? :P

I'm toying with putting one in the XR6...asked about one in the wrecking thread in the For Sale forum, but he doesn't seem to be terribly helpful with replying.

There's another on eBay, but they dont have the plugs or sensors or anything.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Thats funny, I did it the old school way and it never broke. lol

Those god damn TTY. they're just a money grab agreement between ford and who ever so you'll end up spending money over time.

Go USA man. order your costume made bolts from there instead.

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:45 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5587

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

Just look for the usual blue sealing lines on the Monotorque gaskets.

I take it you mean the Fairlane clusters - unfortunately the two I had are in both cars now :D .
I can get all the sensors, and you can make the two LH plugs out of std plugs.

You can change the Eprom (just like I can) - shimstock is the easiest and safest method.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 1339

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

Location: Worrigee
NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Just look for the usual blue sealing lines on the Monotorque gaskets.

I take it you mean the Fairlane clusters - unfortunately the two I had are in both cars now :D .
I can get all the sensors, and you can make the two LH plugs out of std plugs.


Yea, sorry meant the Fairlane. Well if you know a source for sensors, tha makes it a little easier.

LH plugs? As in left hand side plugs, since they are different?

snap0964 wrote:
You can change the Eprom (just like I can) - shimstock is the easiest and safest method.


Yea, changing the Eprom is something I should manage ok. WHat do you mean by shimstock?

Last edited by the_scotsman on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:20 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names