Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms) 

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Head gasket (2nd in 50,000 kms)
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Always done it once the right way and here's a link that might help next time. :lol:
http://304pentaheadbolt.com/

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
LH plugs? As in left hand side plugs, since they are different?
Yes
the_scotsman wrote:
Yea, changing the Eprom is something I should manage ok. WHat do you mean by shimstock?
You've done Advanced PCB repair ???

As far as headbolts go compare Ebay prices with local - I doubt buying overseas would be a good idea in this instance.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

as told to me by a tafe engine machinist instructor who worked at ford at the time, there was an issue on certain EL I6's with the head bolt threads not being cut deep enough or something like this....

I asked what the solution was, there was none....100's, 1000's??? of engines left the line with this potential issue...

it was a short conversation so i didnt get all the details, but your engine may be affected by this problem

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
LH plugs? As in left hand side plugs, since they are different?
Yes
the_scotsman wrote:
Yea, changing the Eprom is something I should manage ok. WHat do you mean by shimstock?
You've done Advanced PCB repair ???

As far as headbolts go compare Ebay prices with local - I doubt buying overseas would be a good idea in this instance.

I haven't done the Advanced course. But I have done removal and install of all types of surface mount ICs.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

oh I just read that u said u used a monotorque....monotorque and quality do not belong in the same sentence.....permaseal or durapro would be all that id use

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

You'll be stupid buying bolts from ebay! :lol:

go directly to the pros.... :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:50 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

.....and don't believe them if they tell you to retorque them :lol:

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

Hey

After you have made all the right checks to head and block and all's sweet regarless wheather you use a AU or EL composite gasket, buy yourself a can of Copper Spray for head gaskets...any gasket for that matter.

That stufff work a treat under extreme pressures and heat. i have used it on Car/ bike cylinder head gaskets, base gaskets "o"rings etc protects gasket and seals them against corrosion...check it out any good spares joint it works a treat.

Good luck

Moot :lol:

When in doubt
Rev it out...

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, so long story short...go to Ford and buy AU gasket, then buy AU head bolts (not from Fraud as the local joint is a rip) ?

Guess I want to buy a gasket kit so I can replace the others while I'm at it? How much will Fraud charge for that?

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
OK, so long story short...go to Ford and buy AU gasket, then buy AU head bolts (not from Fraud as the local joint is a rip) ?

Guess I want to buy a gasket kit so I can replace the others while I'm at it? How much will Fraud charge for that?

just buy an EL gasket kit from Repco ($150 or something), AU Metal gasket from Fraud. Head bolts from Repco.

Discard the composite gasket from the kit (or keep it if you want to build another motor and use the composite gasket). I am using my composite gasket to build my secondary engine as a back up :D

good luck

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Phong your the one that I have seen mention having to shave the AU head bolts. There are so many conflicting reports regarding Eseries head gasket fixes. I'm doing mine during the week. Getting the head machined and probably going with an Endurotec kit and repco bolts. I've never had trouble after fixing the previous headgaskets on my older cars but never used the AU one. Anyone know a decent place in the northern suburbs to get the head machined?

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Maybe u should consider doing a AU engine conversion??? Just find a low kms engine and away u go.

Better design engine and already have a good head gasket from factory plus they go better and smoother.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

MooseMan wrote:
Phong your the one that I have seen mention having to shave the AU head bolts. There are so many conflicting reports regarding Eseries head gasket fixes. I'm doing mine during the week. Getting the head machined and probably going with an Endurotec kit and repco bolts. I've never had trouble after fixing the previous headgaskets on my older cars but never used the AU one. Anyone know a decent place in the northern suburbs to get the head machined?

I think you have to shave the sides of the head of the bolts for 3.9L engines where the rocker pedestals do not have sufficient space for the wide bolt head to fit in. That was when I had the 3.9L. When I did the head gasket on the EL engine, the bolts fit fine without any modifications. Length wise they are the same but the head of the bolt is wider for AU bolts.

Sorry can't help you out with head machining place. I just took mine to my mechanic and they sent it out for me.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
OK, so long story short...go to Ford and buy AU gasket, then buy AU head bolts (not from Fraud as the local joint is a rip) ?Guess I want to buy a gasket kit so I can replace the others while I'm at it? How much will Fraud charge for that?
just buy an EL gasket kit from Repco ($150 or something), AU Metal gasket from Fraud. Head bolts from Repco.
Discard the composite gasket from the kit (or keep it if you want to build another motor and use the composite gasket). I am using my composite gasket to build my secondary engine as a back up
Dave, check with Everlast - I'd say they'll better repco's price. If you do get a Durapro gasket kit, I'll buy the headgasket off you.
If you intend to do valve stem seals, you'll need a valve regrind kit - remember in this case the Hybrids run smaller AU type valve stems, earlier E series stem seals will be too big. So the kit should say (EL 6 cyl Jan 98 on). A pre Jan 98 kit will be okay for gaskets only.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Dave, check with Everlast - I'd say they'll better repco's price. If you do get a Durapro gasket kit, I'll buy the headgasket off you.
If you intend to do valve stem seals, you'll need a valve regrind kit - remember in this case the Hybrids run smaller AU type valve stems, earlier E series stem seals will be too big. So the kit should say (EL 6 cyl Jan 98 on). A pre Jan 98 kit will be okay for gaskets only.

Yea I think I'll call Everlast and maybe Repco and Autopro, see who has the best price.
Sweet, I was going to say, buying a full gasket kit and another headgasket would be a bit much, but if you want to buy the headgasket from the kit (if Durapro), that sure helps!

I've never done the valve stem seals before, that means removing the valve springs etc yes? I don't have a valve spring remover, otherwise it would be good to do them as I didn't last time.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next