Fordmods Logo

el xr6 not running right 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: el xr6 not running right
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xr6

VIC, Australia

Ok I have an el xr6, its a 5 speed, it has hurricane extractors, 2.5 in exhaust, cold air intake and some head work at that stage the car ran around 16.5 sec a quarter (that was a G-Tec run), after that I put a dev3hl cam, after that the car stalled every time I put the clutch in, when idling the revs were all over the place, so I got the veneer gear installed and it still didn’t run too well, uhh the mechanic said that the timing chain needed to be replaced so I just got that done and the dynoed, according to the dyno the best run was Max Torque 642.0 Nm @3404 RPM Max Power 156.0rwkw @ 4594 RPM.
My mechanic says that I need to get a computer for it because it is running pretty rich when reach around 3000 rpm they said that it looked like there where fuel fuel vapours coming out of the exhaust.
The car doesn’t seem to go that hard and now when I drive it is seems to hesitate when I even try to speed up, I press the pedal down slowly, nothing. nothing. nothing. Then a quick nudge then it will pick up, this car is driving me insane, I have changed the map sensor, tps, tried my computer in my mates car and it actually went abit better, it is a 200,000 km motor but I think it is in good nick when I did the head gasket I got the head pressure tested it was fine the cylinders still have the cris crosses from being honed, I haven’t been able to check the comp but it feels like it has fair bit, um it has a new dizzy on it new coil, this weekend I am going to try my mates injectors and reg, fuel pump and air flow sensor lol.
does the bem have anything thing to do with engine operation at all?
I think my mate’s stock ef can beat me :)
Any ideas?

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

id say u proberly be better off with a after market computer and then dyno it with the new ecu. stock ecus dont run motors all that well with a few different mods eg cam ect

Post subject: Re: el xr6 not running right
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

sterpz wrote:
Ok I have an el xr6, its a 5 speed, it has hurricane extractors, 2.5 in exhaust, cold air intake and some head work at that stage the car ran around 16.5 sec a quarter (that was a G-Tec run), after that I put a dev3hl cam, after that the car stalled every time I put the clutch in, when idling the revs were all over the place, so I got the veneer gear installed and it still didn’t run too well, uhh the mechanic said that the timing chain needed to be replaced so I just got that done and the dynoed, according to the dyno the best run was Max Torque 642.0 Nm @3404 RPM Max Power 156.0rwkw @ 4594 RPM.
My mechanic says that I need to get a computer for it because it is running pretty rich when reach around 3000 rpm they said that it looked like there where fuel fuel vapours coming out of the exhaust.
The car doesn’t seem to go that hard and now when I drive it is seems to hesitate when I even try to speed up, I press the pedal down slowly, nothing. nothing. nothing. Then a quick nudge then it will pick up, this car is driving me insane, I have changed the map sensor, tps, tried my computer in my mates car and it actually went abit better, it is a 200,000 km motor but I think it is in good nick when I did the head gasket I got the head pressure tested it was fine the cylinders still have the cris crosses from being honed, I haven’t been able to check the comp but it feels like it has fair bit, um it has a new dizzy on it new coil, this weekend I am going to try my mates injectors and reg, fuel pump and air flow sensor lol.
does the bem have anything thing to do with engine operation at all?
I think my mate’s stock ef can beat me :)
Any ideas?

Have you tried your plugs, they fowling or anything? you got decent leads and also decent intake on there allowing all the mods to suck enough air to put back out? who knows!

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

how many shims did you use?

did you get he head reconded?

what condition is the head in?

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xr6

VIC, Australia

I have the au tickford cold air intake, i have made the 3 in pipeing that goes from the throtle body to the air box, the plugs are new i dont they are fowling up, the lead are new but the are just bosch ones i didnt think the thicker ones would make much difference, when i replaced the head gasket i took the head get presure tested and the said the head was fine.
The are just two standard size shims per valve.
We took it out for a drive last night and it actualy seemed to be going better it didnt studder like it did earlier in in the day, weird, one think though it has drank 100km's more fuel than it used to.
I'll see haw it goes today.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]