Fordmods Logo

el xr6 with DEV3HL(from jim mock) 

Page 1 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: el xr6 with DEV3HL(from jim mock)
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i just bought a elxr6 (auto), i thought getting the DEV3HL(from jim mock)
this is what its got:
DEV "Street-Fighter" Headers (Extractors), Modified Cat, 2.5" Hi-Performance mandrel bent exhaust system, Hi-Flow Intake Kit, DEV3+ High Lift Cam kit, Special Valve Springs, Valve train modifications, Vernier adjustable Timing Gear, Special Spark Plugs & Ignition Leads. Maximum Street Performance without cylinder head change. * *
gives >146kW at $2,990

how fast do you think the car will run down the quater?(jimmock quoted me mid 14's)
and do u think that this equipment is worth it or should i buy and do everything my self?

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2010 Nitro Blue FG

VIC, Australia

yeah the times quoted would be roughly correct. you could expect 14.8 around there. Personally i think jim mock is a bit expensive. do some research of other brands and combos and see what else you can get for that amount of money. For $3000 you can get a s**t of headwork done with all the other goodies as well including, springs, cam, cam gear etc

The boogieman checks under his bed for chuck norris

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

yeh but if i spend $3000 on headwork will i get results as good as or better then 146rwkw

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

If you spend $750 on extractors and exhaust, $1250 on head work including cam/springs, and another $1000 on a an ecu you should be miles ahead of the JMM kit.

Eg.

Pacemaker Extractors
Redback/Lukey Exhaust
Ported Head & Valve Springs
RPD Rspec4/5 Cam, Wade 1521a etc
Megasquirt2 ECU
Larger injectors (might be needed by this stage)

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Jim C**k sucks........Money out of you

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Mid 14's from an auto??? Not too sure about that mate. I reckon mine would pull a 14.6-14.8 and mine is manual with basically the same set-up as what you are thinking about getting. Mine is also pulling 149rkw (soon to be re-dynoed and I'm expecting that figure to be higher)

JMM is the best way to go if you want good solid power IMO and you don't mind paying a little extra to have that advantage over what other companies are offering.

If it's bang for your bucks your after, I'd be talking to TICKFORD_6. He's got the best bang for your buck set-up going around IMO.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
yeh but if i spend $3000 on headwork will i get results as good as or better then 146rwkw

is that a 146rwkw on the jmm dyno?? so maybe 130rwkw on any other dyno

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

downingj wrote:
If it's bang for your bucks your after, I'd be talking to TICKFORD_6. He's got the best bang for your buck set-up going around IMO.

what set ups is tickford_6 doing? I thought it was only the intakes

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ReGiE wrote:
4dlvr wrote:

is that a 146rwkw on the jmm dyno?? so maybe 130rwkw on any other dyno

Yeah.............right..............

JMM quote 146rwk for the set-up I bought off them, but mine has actually pulled 149rwk on a dyno dynamics dynamometer in shootout mode. And just for good measure I'm having it redynoed later on in the year. So how do you explain that one cheif???

Also, the power figures that they get from stock cars on their "magical dyno" are very much the same other companys are getting. Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself...

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
downingj wrote:

what set ups is tickford_6 doing? I thought it was only the intakes

Nah, I mean the set-up he has on his XR6. For the dosh he's spent, he's making very good power.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

don't give mock any money, he's a sneaky prick with a generous dyno!
and convert it to manual if you want speed :p.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

just as a comparison kezz pulled 145rwkw on a dyno dynamics a coule of weeks back

with a Rspec3 cam & springs, vernier cam gear, 5spd, extractors and exhaust..

that gear is worth a bit less than 3k..

$725 for the cam springs and vernier.. you should be able to get yourself a decent exhaust and even a 5spd conversion with the remaining $$

not trying to start a fight, but what were the specs on the jmm car that pulled those figures? ie diff, auto/man, etc.. just out of curiosity

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mitchg911 wrote:
just as a comparison kezz pulled 145rwkw on a dyno dynamics a coule of weeks back

$725 for the cam springs and vernier.. you should be able to get yourself a decent exhaust and even a 5spd conversion with the remaining $$

not trying to start a fight, but what were the specs on the jmm car that pulled those figures? ie diff, auto/man, etc.. just out of curiosity

-mitch

That's cool mate.

I spent $1500 with JMM and $1800 with the local exhaust shop (for extractors, hi flow cat, and 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust system). My car is a manual EF XR6. I've seen plenty of other JMM equipped cars pull good numbers with the DEV3HL cam too.

What I have yet to see is anyone pull decent numbers from a "stage" cam (Kezz's car being the obvious excpetion). Most people say that they loose a little power down low and gain it up top... Most people are getting around 130rwk with "stage3" cams. I've also yet to see RPD quote an expected power increase for their cams (despite the fact that I have asked a few times in their forums).

I guess it just s**t me that this site is so anti-JMM, yet JMM are clearly are making the best gear available (giving the best power results) for the Falcon. It may not be the cheapest, but it's the best. NQA.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

yeh Kezz's car rules! absolutely beaming with my results for the money i spent. and you boys with the 5sp XR6's have a head start too

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

downingj wrote:
mitchg911 wrote:

-mitch

That's cool mate.

I spent $1500 with JMM and $1800 with the local exhaust shop (for extractors, hi flow cat, and 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust system). My car is a manual EF XR6. I've seen plenty of other JMM equipped cars pull good numbers with the DEV3HL cam too.

What I have yet to see is anyone pull decent numbers from a "stage" cam (Kezz's car being the obvious excpetion). Most people say that they loose a little power down low and gain it up top... Most people are getting around 130rwk with "stage3" cams. I've also yet to see RPD quote an expected power increase for their cams (despite the fact that I have asked a few times in their forums).

I guess it just s**t me that this site is so anti-JMM, yet JMM are clearly are making the best gear available (giving the best power results) for the Falcon. It may not be the cheapest, but it's the best. NQA.

there is no doubt JMM makes good power and is very well proven.
but on the other hand Jaysen and the guys have stated a a number of times why they don't quote power numbers and i believe the reasons to be very valid.
they do have a number cars around the place running their gear and from what i've seen both on the track here in townsville and from other peoples reports they are getting good results regardless of what any dyno says.
I'm sure you'll agree at the end of it day, if you run the times and MPH at the track it proves the over all setup better then a peak power number from a dyno ever will.

back on topic though.
since you bought up my car, i'll give a quick run down of how things are going with a few more KMs on the engine.

specs are.
stock reringed bottom end, (cost $400 in parts) so nothing speciel there at all, expect it now burns no oil.

stock EF xr6 head that had 30thou shaved (25thou when i had to fix a blown gasket, and 5 thou when i did the bottom end) it could be more as the it didn't have a stock gasket when it blow, so it may have been shaved befor i got it.

AU headgasket.

Rspec1 cam, adjustable gear with 1.5degrees retard, and new XR6 valve springs.

pacie comps and an ESA 2.5 inch system with 2 mufflers %100 legal for noise, you cannot hear the car idle.

my intake pipe and a K&N panel filter as can be seen here
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26558

car made 146rwkw with 300km on the engine.
as you can see it's nothing speciel just a mix parts that anyone can buy.
although the price of the intake at $210 was for the group buy only.
anyone wanting one at a later date the price will be $300

first up i havn't been to the track yet :cry: because of clutch realated issues. (pedal box is part of it and i'm pretty sure the throw out bearing is the other half) so my gear box has to come out to check that and fork geometry. and my dash has to come out to sort the pedal box.

first thing with the engine is there is a little to much compression for the short duration Rspec1 cam, full throttle is fine with only a small hint of detonation if engine temps are a little higher then normal. but part throttle is pretty bad, it detonates alot.

those are the only two issues with every thing right now.

on the plus side i do get better feul economy then i did with a completly stock car. and it make roughly 35kw more then a stock one does.
it hasn't been back on the dyno yet either. i want to sort the clutch out first.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next