Fordmods Logo

Electric Problems.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Electric Problems..
Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

So, today I decided to call into Tandy and ask if there was a way I could hook up an extra 2 interior lights into my XH panel van (I do alot of night cleaning work and can never see into the van) so off I went with my switches and lights (at my own risk), ready to hook it up, I unscrewed the interior light, unwired it and hooked up the extra 2 lights...
I then proceeded to test them, and they worked, until I went to start the car, then they decided to die out, also killing the car, now it will not start (it kicks over, but feels like the carbi will not feed etc.) all the power is gone (cd player, amps, etc.), except for the dash and the headlights, and the battery light on the dash is on (im pretty sure this is always the case but have only the had the car for a few weeks so it's hard to tell).
Having checked all the fuses, I have narrowed it down to being either the immobiliser, or some form of securitey (there is an independent alarm hooked up from the previous owner, but has been disabled).
Has anybody else had a problem like this before? and could someone please help me - being stranded at home is not fun.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon XR6

QLD, Australia

Don't high end car alarms work by the voltage drop caused by the interior light?

I'm sure some alarms use the voltage drop caused by opening the door and turning on the light to trigger the alarm/immobiliser...

I'm sure I've read/seen that somewhere...

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

look for a burnt 10amp fuse in the fuse box.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ashman1985 wrote:
Don't high end car alarms work by the voltage drop caused by the interior light?

I'm sure some alarms use the voltage drop caused by opening the door and turning on the light to trigger the alarm/immobiliser...

Thanks Ash, this would probably be the reason but the alarm has been disabled, unless you mean the factory security.

I'm trying to work out how glitch like this can be reset, as I know on most older Commodores there is a button / switch near the door which will reset things.
Does anyone know of any sites that would have this kind of infomation on them?

Edit; Slick, I'm going to check now.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Also, there is independant gas / petrol installed and when turned over to gas and the ignition is turned on, normally beeps then the LED's climb up to 'full' then it beeps again and goes to the level of gas, right now it is climbing up to about half way, and there is a clicking noise coming from the left side of the motor bay (around the extractors / gas component I think) and it blanks out.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Oh, and now the "security gaurd" light that normally flashes on the dash when locked, now doesn't.
Any clues?

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Bump!

Any ideas guys?

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:30 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Slick wrote:
look for a burnt 10amp fuse in the fuse box.
Yeah, certainly sounds like the CRT LP fuse is blown - I suggest you check it again.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

check the interior light fuse, i bet it's blown

i think this also activates the smartlock system etc activating the immobiliser

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]