Fordmods Logo

electric water pump (9 rwkw) 

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: electric water pump (9 rwkw)
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Quote:
I use an electric coolant pump for my Photon Pulse drive reactor engine in conjunction with a Flux-capacitor for time travel functions..........................LOL.........

yeah but does it have a fully sik exhaust with a chopped cat?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Quote:
I use an electric coolant pump for my Photon Pulse drive reactor engine in conjunction with a Flux-capacitor for time travel functions..........................LOL.........

yeah but does it have a fully sik exhaust with a chopped cat?

Oooohh yeeaahhh, fully sik mate....split diverters, with fishtails and a chopped and hacked CAT.....LOL....... :lol:

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

In the situation where the engine needs full coolant flow and both systems are providing full coolant flow, the belt driven pump should be more efficient because there are less transmission losses, and hence the car will have more power for the rear wheels. But at other times the electric pump might be more efficient.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
Ghia5L wrote:
4LEDboy wrote:
But do you really trust an electric pump? :?

Such as fuel pumps...

Yeah, but when the fuel pump dies you know it, you cant drive the car. if a electric water pump goes you wont because the engine will still be going and will cook itself pretty quickly.

Are you serious? like really?

What do you think if your water pump dies the engine temp goes up in like 1 second and the engine cooks itself or blows a head gasket before you can react? :?

Well it doesn't.

If the temp goes up above half.... pull over and source the problem.... its too easy.

I would rather have a water pump belt go or the pump fail at full revs than the fuel pump go and have a massive lean out! Now that's real engine damage, especially in a turbo car.

They wouldn't be selling them if they weren't reliable.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Electric water pump works well and a 9rwkw (or 7 or whatever it was) is definately no bullsh|t.

Why would there be underdrive kits out there claiming gains?

Basically the water pump pumping water through requires a bit of force, underdrives get their gain from reducing the amount of revolutions pumping the water to around half (smaller crank pulley turning the larger waterpump pulley).

Now an Electric water pump will take on all the force of pumping water all through the motor. It doesnt raise the revolutions when the motor's revs does either, so thats where the motor makes more power, simply by freeing up the motor from parasitic loss. Basically a water pump might require 2-3 hp to turn the pump at 600-1000 rpm (idle on a motor), if the car revs to 6000 rpm, chances are the water pump does too, then the power required to turn it simply multiplies via rpm....

It works well, many drag, circuit, race, rally, drift, etc cars use them because they work. I have seen a few used on street cars (strokers or bigger cube motors) but in reality it is an overkill unless you see the track in one way or another- or have the extra $$$.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

"Why are people so unkind?" says Kamahl - he must be a Ford modder! Why do you guys go off about all that "he aint got that much power" sh*t i thought this was about EWP's not who's got the biggest d**k! Forget the non important crap and stick to the actual are EWP's any good - me i think it's too much hassle for serp. style cars - i now jump off my soapbox and return you to your usual sniping! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

a custom belt would be the hardest part of the install i would think.

been lookin at these for a while, yes they are expensive, but so are their fans with relays n switches, theres a very good reason for this: they are reliable. i've had a few different fan n switch combos and nothings gone past the davies craig setup and thats been in the car for the longest! for quality, air movement (read: effectiveness), and longivity i'm impressed by them. and there should be no difference from their fans to their pumps.

(& no i don't work for them, wish i did though:P)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

totally aside from the sick drift part of this thread....

As long as it is a quality product I can't see there being any greater issue in reliability with ewp's compared to mechanical pumps: my old man used them in his track car and never had a problem.

Without pulling figures out of my a*** the difference in performance is noticable and there were no cooling issues when we used them.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I know its an old thread but i'm going to give one of these Davies Craig water pumps a go with the controller. They have tests that they show 6kw gain with the 4.0l falcon and better fuel economy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrfux_-6RVw

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I know its an old thread but i'm going to give one of these Davies Craig water pumps a go with the controller. They have tests that they show 6kw gain with the 4.0l falcon and better fuel economy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrfux_-6RVw

sounds interesting....whats it gunna set u back? are u concerned with reliability? what sort of warantee does it have and will they pay for a new engine if it fails....

have done any other mods since your last dyno run?

yeah it take around 6kw to run the pump at high rpm but would still need around 2 to run at lower rpm....so i think u may see a gain of around 4kw or 3rwkw.....this is not much and probably not going to be that noticable

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the pump is $285, and i'm not sure if i will need the controller but i like the idea of the pump still working for 2min after the car has turned off. I haven't done anything since last dyno except replaced my pacemaker comps which had a cracked collector with news ones which are ceramic coated now. There is a 2 year guarantee. I think when they first started making them they weren't to crash hot but they have signed a deal with Ford to use them in there new cars, so im guessing they are reliable now.

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/News.aspx

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

You might want to check on ebay.. I just saw a few of the davies craigs on there... cheapest was 160 I think...

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
You might want to check on ebay.. I just saw a few of the davies craigs on there... cheapest was 160 I think...

Cheers they are heaps cheaper and there brand new and only about 10min away from where i live.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

A litle off track but i gained exactly 3 tenths of a second at the drags when i put thermofans on my eb v8, from a best of 15.7 to consistent 15.4,s. Best and cheapest mod i have ever done :D
No idea how much power the clutch fan was stealing.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh good stuff, taking the load off the engine probably gains power everywhere that might be why.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next