Fordmods Logo

electric water pump mod??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: electric water pump mod???
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR6 on NOS

NSW, Australia

Anyone ever changed their water pump to an electric one, with getting more power in mind thats what Im thinking of doing to my BA XR6. Any info would be cool, thanks.

CAPA EDIT (not installed)/SS 75mm Throttal Body/SS CAI/UNIFILTER POD/Ceramic Coated Pacemakers/Herrod SS 2.5"/100 Shot Dry NOS Kit/NOS Bottle Warmer/NOS Purge Kit/FPV GT Starter Button/FPV Pedles/FPV Leather Sports Wheel/King Springs/Gapped Plugs/Blaupunkt DVD/Gtech SS PRO COMP/236.9 RWKW

Post subject: Wow Water Pumps
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Wow never heard of that idea but wouldnt the standard water pump be better because its alway running

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... 798#562798

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I haven't heard of it on a ford i6.
The load on the alternator alone would prolly be the same as the mech pump.
Concidering you'll be running most likey the ac/ps/alt and various tension rollers on the engine too.. i doubt it would make any noticable difference.

Now if were running a strip car.. and or no 'comfort' accessories... I'd say it may make a pretty good inprovement.

I do like the idea of the constant flow rate of the electric pumps tho. and they sure do look trick on a chev...?¿

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

it'd still put just as much strain on the motor. but you could install it so it only uses current from the alt. when its under a certain throttle % and at anything below that it could draw from it.

and it may be possible to remove the themostat too. make it switch on at 85 or something

but it would take any less out of the motor by doing it. take for instance switching headlights on at idle. the rev drop because the motor is working harder to charge the battery. every action has an equal and opposite reaction etc etc...

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
but it would take any less out of the motor by doing it. take for instance switching headlights on at idle. the rev drop because the motor is working harder to charge the battery. every action has an equal and opposite reaction etc etc...

like you said "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" the powers gotta come from somewhere right?

there would be bugger all difference using an electric water pump, and creates a higher risk of overheating the engine if the EWP fails.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR6 on NOS

NSW, Australia

http://www.vpw.com.au/productgroup.asp?CatID=0&SubCatID=0&priorCatID=0&PrdGrpID=2678

Take a look here guys, this is not the only style there a better ones around I put some links up for them.

I fitted an under drive on my BA on Monday and gained 9 rwkw so theres power to be have for free here guys you just need to give it a go.[/url]

CAPA EDIT (not installed)/SS 75mm Throttal Body/SS CAI/UNIFILTER POD/Ceramic Coated Pacemakers/Herrod SS 2.5"/100 Shot Dry NOS Kit/NOS Bottle Warmer/NOS Purge Kit/FPV GT Starter Button/FPV Pedles/FPV Leather Sports Wheel/King Springs/Gapped Plugs/Blaupunkt DVD/Gtech SS PRO COMP/236.9 RWKW

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

My brother tried electric water pumps on his xr8. From memory first one burnt out very quickly, replaced under warranty, and then burnt out again. Didnt bother getting it replace the second time, just went back to good old (reliable) belt driven pump.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ea 5 spd

SA, Australia

thats a good question expecially with guy's putin i6's in 2 smaller carz!! is they were as reliable it b a great mod i think!! expecially gaining 9kws

mods: pacemaker extractors, 2.5in red back ,lowered with pedders 17" rims, extreme h/d ceramic clutch, 3.45 ef lsd, and rear brakes, clear indicators, ef thermo's, stage 2 crow (daily)

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:30 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Autospeed tested the craig davies EWP a while back.
They couldn't publish the results because craig davies took legal action ;)

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i say do it, or at least experiment with it. you could have a setup with a small motorbike battery that ran everything in the car and the alt only charge straight to the plugs while at WOT. i'd expect a fairly big power boost

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

neh, if you got ~ 500hp, whats another 7 odd gunna do? :p

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:59 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi all

I was reading a tech article a few years ago about these new electric water pumps and one thing stuck in my mind about them. They claimed that alloy head problems (cracking, head gasket failures etc.) can be traced back to the fact that car manufacturers are still bolting cast iron exhaust manifolds onto them. When you shut the car down, the aluminium will absorb all the heat from the manifold and can actually overheat. These pumps can be set up to circulate the coolant after shutdown (in combo with the thermo fans too I suspect) and prevent excessive temps in the head – a bit like a turbo timer I guess. The question is; if one of these pumps were used and set up correctly, would it solve the 6 cylinder falcons head woes?
:idea:

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i know my thermostat leaks coolent cause the aluminium is warped. could possibly be

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Scooterxf wrote:
Hi all

I was reading a tech article a few years ago about these new electric water pumps and one thing stuck in my mind about them. They claimed that alloy head problems (cracking, head gasket failures etc.) can be traced back to the fact that car manufacturers are still bolting cast iron exhaust manifolds onto them. When you shut the car down, the aluminium will absorb all the heat from the manifold and can actually overheat. These pumps can be set up to circulate the coolant after shutdown (in combo with the thermo fans too I suspect) and prevent excessive temps in the head – a bit like a turbo timer I guess. The question is; if one of these pumps were used and set up correctly, would it solve the 6 cylinder falcons head woes?
:idea:

No, because the most common problems with the alloy heads EA-EL is corrosion, not a heat issue

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:25 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

not to mention the huge piece of cast iron under the head, thats why ford l6's are a shocker for thermal over-run. they get hotter after you turn them off then sitting at a set of traffic lights. to combat this i wired my 16' thermo to accessories so after shut down it can run on but those fans draw a s**t of current, between that & an ewp you would probably have 5 minutes of supurb cooling & have to clutch start your car everywhere you go.
benifits to be had but i think, just not big ones, throwing the clutch fan in the bin would be one of the best mods i've ever done to my falc.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next