Fordmods Logo

Electrical gremlins 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Electrical gremlins
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford DC LTD, EA Falcon GL

VIC, Australia

Replaced my alternator yesterday,after the original blew up when i tried replacing the regulator using ebay cheapie.To my horror it somehow overloaded the system blew my headlight globes and leave those nasty burnt electrical smell under the bonnet!! Second alt went in from the wreckers.works perfectly 14 V on the dial. Then same night. No charge!! showing 12 V on the cluster.So I presume it starts and drive on the battery. What could be the prob?

Post subject: Re: Electrical gremlins
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Have you checked your fuseable links, or charge circuit fuses? The voltage spike will have blown 1 or all of them probably.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

where do I find that? what does it look like. i would have paid someone to do it but...I really love playing with my car even though I don't really have a clue as much.But I'm learning. thanks man you're the bomb.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Went looking for the fusible link.I think I've found it.Just under the relays in the engine bay,there's two there plus one attached to the relay board itself.How do I know if it's broken or not?

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Fusible links are just larger fuses with a higher current rating. Common sizes are 30,50 and 80 amps. They are colour coded according to the current rating. Just check them with a multimeter set to ohms just like a normal fuse. They also have a small clear window on top so you can visually inspect them.

Attachments:
Fusible.jpg
Fusible.jpg [ 7.29 KiB | Viewed 3231 times ]

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:57 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Oh crap I think I went and pulled out the wrong stuff!! I've found these relay look alike thingy doesn't look anything like the pic what soever. But It does have a cap that can be removed.It has a green cap on it.Will now go and take a better look at where I can fin this friggin fuse :oops: I'll keep you updated.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Can somebody please help me!!

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

JakLTD wrote:
Oh crap I think I went and pulled out the wrong stuff!! I've found these relay look alike thingy doesn't look anything like the pic what soever. But It does have a cap that can be removed.It has a green cap on it.Will now go and take a better look at where I can fin this friggin fuse :oops: I'll keep you updated.

Is your a EA falcon running a bosch alternator as they have an external voltage regulator????

The green relay is your fuel pump relay, don't touch that. Your EA will have fusible links which a lengths of wire coming off the postive battery terminal that go into a plug. Check they have blown using a multimeter. EF/EL's have the fuse links as shown in the pic on previous post.

cheers............

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
JakLTD wrote:

Is your a EA falcon running a bosch alternator as they have an external voltage regulator????

The green relay is your fuel pump relay, don't touch that. Your EA will have fusible links which a lengths of wire coming off the postive battery terminal that go into a plug. Check they have blown using a multimeter. EF/EL's have the fuse links as shown in the pic on previous post.

cheers............

Yes I've already touched the green relay!! And yes the car didn't start,i'm such a wanker...Anyways it's a series II EA with built in regulator on the Alt itself.I've pulled the plugs apart near the positive terminal...all corroded and yucky but can't find no fuses? I've check out the EL at the wreckers today and they sure do have those fusible link. Can I just take those plugs off and just solder the wires solid? Thanks heaps

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

i wouldnt solder them solid as your basically then bypassing the fuse which wouldnt be good

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Leroy wrote:
i wouldnt solder them solid as your basically then bypassing the fuse which wouldnt be good

Well that's the thing,when I pulled the two plugs apart I couldn't see any fuses so... confused now.
Like my mates have always say to me. To drive an E-Series will drive you E-Insane!!

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

yeah with a fuseable link the wire itself is the fuse. bit confusing yeah
so basically i guess all i can suggest at this stage is to check all fuses with a test light / multi meter and see what that comes back as. also if you have a multi meter check charge from the alternatro as the vehicle is running. if you are running the car with electrical accesories, you will soon find out if its not charging. the battery will go flat.

its been a while sonce ive played with these things so sorry if i dont make sense or dont help.

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Leroy wrote:
yeah with a fuseable link the wire itself is the fuse. bit confusing yeah
so basically i guess all i can suggest at this stage is to check all fuses with a test light / multi meter and see what that comes back as. also if you have a multi meter check charge from the alternatro as the vehicle is running. if you are running the car with electrical accesories, you will soon find out if its not charging. the battery will go flat.

its been a while sonce ive played with these things so sorry if i dont make sense or dont help.

Arrgh Ford should be shot for not giving me an actual fuse to geez at!! Thanks anyways mate. Will keep reying till my torch battery goes flat.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:23 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Sorry JakLTD. I forgot that the earlier cars don't have the plastic fusible links. They are just a certain gauge of copper wire that will melt at a predetermined current. As leroy said, if you start your car and switch on your headlights, A/C etc and your battery voltage is not maintained at 13.5-14v under load (should be stable), then you have a charging problem. If your alternator/battery voltage is stable, then its only an indication problem. A good wiring diagram with wire colours is important.

As far as the corroded plugs go near the battery, I would just solder/crimp new section of wire in its place and ditch the plug. Had to do this on mum's eb a couple of years ago. I just cut the wiring below the plug and soldered/heatshrinked a new piece of wire in. Then crimped new lugs on the batt terminal end and connected to positive terminal. I would disconnect your battery and remove it whilst doing this repair.

Fusible links in older cars tended to be just lengths of wire with a high temp outer insulation over the conductor. They can be difficult to find as they don't stand out like the modern ones do. Some were fitted too plugs whilst other were just extensions of the existing wire. Commonly fitted at the rear of alternators or close to the positve battery terminal (distrubution point).

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey guys thanks for all your help much appreciated. It turned out to be a faulty regulator again :oops: replaced and woala she's charging at 14V stable. yay. The fusiblelink scenario got me so frustrated that I went to the wreckers and grabbed an EL fuse board from underneath the bonnet and made my own wiring from the alternator to the fuse box.Now I have proper links. On another note would it be possible to use the EA alternator pulley and transfer it on to the EL unit? I'm thinking it'd be a good idea since it's a more capable alternator in the first place. Cheers to all now a very happy Falcon owner.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next