Fordmods Logo

Eliminator Chip Tune on DEV 5 EL XR6 ...mixed results?????? 

Page 3 of 14 [ 206 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the timing map that they have tuned must not be as good as the standard map with the advanced timing which you drove in with.

who is to say that any custom ignition timing map is better than standard.

when it comes to fuel its a different story, cos it was running rich, and yes the map needed some tuning...

what could work for you is to run the standard ignition map with the base timing advanced at the dizzy as you did previously, and get them to tune the fuel map only...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
the timing map that they have tuned must not be as good as the standard map with the advanced timing which you drove in with.

when it comes to fuel its a different story, cos it was running rich, and yes the map needed some tuning...

what could work for you is to run the standard ignition map with the base timing advanced at the dizzy as you did previously, and get them to tune the fuel map only...

That makes sense ...cos she definitely had more balls before the tune.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

So WHAT is the Standard Ignition map?

Will the BPT guys be able to regain it?

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i have an identical looking afr graph as your before run, it needs plenty of work! i dip as low as 10.9, and leaning that out to about 13 by playing with the fuel map only is what id like to do, and would turn it into a very low 14sec car im sure.

the eliminator is just a plug and play isnt it? why not pull it out advance the timing to where it was and get it re-dynod, and say to the tuner, this is my new 'before' graph, now i want you to beat this!

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

also, people are saying its a cam timing issue, but before you drove in to get it tuned you said it felt strong. so in saying that it must be the tune, because if the cam timing was out it wouldnt have felt so strong to start with...
and if you were running mid 14s after the chain was replaced, honestly how far out could it be?

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

im not sure how the eliminator works, but if they only play with the fuel side of things and leave the ignition as per standard then that would be your best bet by the looks of things, you would have to speak to the tuner to see if thats possible cos im no tuning whizz..

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
i have an identical looking afr graph as your before run, it needs plenty of work! i dip as low as 10.9, and leaning that out to about 13 by playing with the fuel map only is what id like to do, and would turn it into a very low 14sec car im sure.

the eliminator is just a plug and play isnt it? why not pull it out advance the timing to where it was and get it re-dynod, and say to the tuner, this is my new 'before' graph, now i want you to beat this!

I think you definitely got something here mate.

Terry was saying that he could improve my graph by advancing the timing again ...but he was a little unsure that it would be good for the engine ...playing it safe, I think

And yeah ...car felt good and strong (with a few little glitches like rev hang, idle hunting etc) when I brought it in ...the glitches are largely gone now, but so have the big hairy cohones she had beforehand :roll:

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

idle hunting and rev hang are things i can deal with as long as the car performs like a monster to make it worth putting up with!

anyway santa is coming soon, so i better get to bed otherwise he may fly past my chimney!

hope all goes well!

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Would a non-optimal ignition map / timing cause the car to run HOTTER as a whole?

Just curious...

Cheers mate ...Merry Xmas to you and the others who replied.

I'll keep you posted.

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

Quote:
but he was a little unsure that it would be good for the engine ...playing it safe

well terry shouldent be tuning cars.

take it some were els. Simon at xft will do it.

Quote:
Would a non-optimal ignition map / timing cause the car to run HOTTER as a whole?

yes

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks Fritzz,

I'll call Simon at XFT in the New Year ...sucks when you have a normally fast car that has lost it's balls.

And yeah ...she does seem to be running hotter all-round than usual ...today's heat was a real struggle.

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

markr154 wrote:
I'll call Simon at XFT in the New Year ...sucks when you have a normally fast car that has lost it's balls.

That'd be the best thing to do mate, i may see you there. :wink:

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Post subject: chip
Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

markr154 wrote:
FAST-XR wrote:

Hey Vince there must be some truth in what I'm saying to you guys about cams & ECU's & lets face it for what you have done on your engine its bascilly been untouchable.....

Joe

Post subject: Re: chip
Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
markr154 wrote:
FAST-XR wrote:

Hey Vince there must be some truth in what I'm saying to you guys about cams & ECU's & lets face it for what you have done on your engine its bascilly been untouchable.....

Joe

Don't quite get what you're saying mate ...please elaborate?

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FAST-XR wrote:

I don't know about you, or anyone els, but if i was tune tuning a car on a dyno, and made a change to an ignition point and it lost power, i sure as hell woundn't leave there.

Look at his before and after runs. that power increase is not due only to feul changes.

They restet the base timming so that the reference point for the ECU is in the right place. If they left it where it was, what the ECU was telling them is Xdegrees will in real terms be advanced of that point.

the drop the car got was while mark didn't own the car. the only that changed in that was the timing chain.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 14  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next