Fordmods Logo

Eliminator Chip Tune on DEV 5 EL XR6 ...mixed results?????? 

Page 5 of 14 [ 206 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EF f a i r m o n t

Power: 315 rwkw

WA, Australia

Slick wrote:
Take it to a reliable tuner mate! half of these guys with dyno's don't know the insight of custom tuning a fuzzy & pedantic setup.

Was there any major head work done on it? you'll be surprise how many mis-match set up there are!

spend some extra bucks on a decent tuner like one of the sponsor's on here! they sort your probs out!

mate click the Commercial Sponsors Forum section and u will see that BPT is in there.

1995 EF Fairmont with all the Gear.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

kizzer wrote:
Slick wrote:
Take it to a reliable tuner mate! half of these guys with dyno's don't know the insight of custom tuning a fuzzy & pedantic setup.

Was there any major head work done on it? you'll be surprise how many mis-match set up there are!

spend some extra bucks on a decent tuner like one of the sponsor's on here! they sort your probs out!

mate click the Commercial Sponsors Forum section and u will see that BPT is in there.
I was hinting! :wink:
They are the guys he should be following up if all else fails... I know for sure I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

They will be getting the first call ...I'm sure Terry will do his best ...just have to wait until the 21st Jan ...unless he can get me in earlier.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

what would happen if you kept the tune and advanced the dizzy slightly? would this muck up the tune? or enhance it?

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

According to Terry the dizzy was already advanced a couple of degrees ...he reverted it back before the tune.

I think that's where my problem is.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

markr154 wrote:
According to Terry the dizzy was already advanced a couple of degrees ...he reverted it back before the tune.

A couple of degrees wont make that kind of difference to power output and the way the engine revs. Maybe 10 or 15 so degree's would.

Did he correctly adjust the base timing, or fudge it like everyone else. I think there would be no more than 10 people on this forum who know correctly how to set base timing on an EL.

Also, did he tighten the clamp bolt tightly. The dizzy could have moved itself.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

All I know is that I went there with a strong car that just needed a little refining ...and I now have a piss weak car that just isn't running right.

Could even swear that my exhaust note has changed too.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

mate is your car pinging??
what fuel was your car tuned to?
what fuel are you running in it?

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

No pinging that I can tell.

The Eliminator Chip was custom dyno tuned for 98 RON fuel ...and 3 generic tunes added (95 RON, Valet 3000rpm limited, and immobiliser) ...via a selector switch.

I run 98 RON fuel without fail.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
markr154 wrote:

A couple of degrees wont make that kind of difference to power output and the way the engine revs. Maybe 10 or 15 so degree's would.

Did he correctly adjust the base timing, or fudge it like everyone else. I think there would be no more than 10 people on this forum who know correctly how to set base timing on an EL.

Well ...his words were "advanced a fair bit"

Dunno about the other stuff though ...would've thought he'd know how to set base timing correctly.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

markr154 wrote:
arm79 wrote:
markr154 wrote:

Dunno about the other stuff though ...would've thought he'd know how to set base timing correctly.

Yeah.. Sounds like he's fudged the base timing. I'd say your base timing is now around 15 deg retarded, rather than at 0. So your maximum advance will be around 10/15 deg (rather than 30ish) and most normal engine work will be around the 0 deg advance. Which would explain the hotter than normal engine temps.

If this is the case, I wouldn't drive the thing. Chances are you will melt your cat in quick order.

And not even a Ford tech knows how to set the timing on an EL I6, so I doubt whether most normal mechanics would either.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
markr154 wrote:
arm79 wrote:
markr154 wrote:

Yeah.. Sounds like he's fudged the base timing. I'd say your base timing is now around 15 deg retarded, rather than at 0. So your maximum advance will be around 10/15 deg (rather than 30ish) and most normal engine work will be around the 0 deg advance. Which would explain the hotter than normal engine temps.

If this is the case, I wouldn't drive the thing. Chances are you will melt your cat in quick order.

And not even a Ford tech knows how to set the timing on an EL I6, so I doubt whether most normal mechanics would either.

if it is retarded that much, wouldn't it be blowing black smoke and smell of petrol ? probably see carbon out hte exhaust aswell.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Not blowing smoke or smelling of fuel.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

MMD wrote:
if it is retarded that much, wouldn't it be blowing black smoke and smell of petrol ? probably see carbon out hte exhaust aswell.

Not necessarily. I've seen cars with worse base timing that didn't blow smoke or smell.

In the case of my Dad's car, the base timing was near 30 deg retarded. The car took about 4km and a downhill run to hit 100km/h, revved like a slow b**ch, made the exhaust manifold almost see through from the heat and melted the inside of the cat to almost a whole block... But it never blew smoke nor smelled of petrol.

Don't forget the oxy sensor will compenate for any overly rich mixtures it is seeing due to not all the fuel being ignited.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Spoke to Barry at BPT earlier ...he suggested to remove the Eliminator Chip and chuck the Chiptorque Chip back in to see how she runs.

I don't doubt the BPT boys will sort me out ...just a s**t time of year with everywhere closed for Xmas / New Year.

I'll keep you posted.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 14  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next